/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671.
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
midori-browser.org/
qutebrowser.org
cloudflare.com/docs/railgun/installation.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for check the damn Arch wiki before you post

install SourceMage

What IP should I use if I want to connect my KVM guest to SSH tunnel on my host?

Second for whats the proper way to manage installs and where are programs installed to? I mean why is there nothing similar to command centre? I know how to delete a program but how do i get a list and of what each does?

Also whats with encrypted drives not being able to be set up with most installers? the ubuntu and debian ones are bugged, how do you do it manually or even work it automatically (i dont get partition tables really)

The only one that will get this working

how does wine work for stuff like games that need dx? wanna run my library on linux but idk how well it will run. is reactos a viable chpise for games yet?

I will fucking stab you.

I have seen a great number of poorly Photoshopped images in my time as a photographer and I can tell by the pixels that it is a fake.

Yeah, top of trannies' head is too blurry.

Please avoid using the term “photoshop” as a verb, meaning any kind of photo manipulation or image editing in general. Photoshop is just the name of one particular image editing program, which should be avoided since it is proprietary. There are plenty of free programs for editing images, such as the GIMP.

So is infinality still worthwhile? One of the packages in AUR has been flagged out of date for two weeks.

Its been out of day since june 2016
Fontconfig has "similar" settings but it looks nothing like infinaility

There is a github with instructions on how to mimick infinality

>Photoshop = GIMP
kek

Is Anthy the only alternative to Mozc for Japanese input in Linux?

no

Mozc is the best though, why would you want anything else?

I want to learn to use linux on another computer but as i don't have a lot of money i plan to buy an old used one.
Is a 1 GB DDR2 with 80 GB hdd enough?Do i need more?
I plan to install Debian or Ubuntu and the requirements are pretty low but i don' want them to be just enough so that it doesn't crash

Well there are most definitely distros you can install and run very comfortably on that machine, I can't really say about Ubuntu though since it does seem to be getting more and more bloated all the time and I haven't used it in 5+yrs

I'm having some troubles with it and I'm unable to find a solution so I thought about giving a shot with other options.
As for the problem, sometimes when I change from English to Japanese input, it doesn't convert consonants, only vowels for some reason.
So it types like this: おrえ wあ bあkあ kあnあ
instead of 俺は馬鹿かな

That is very strange, I've never once had that problem with it.
Maybe your settings are messed up. Are you sure you have it set to "Romaji" input mode?

Also there is a "Romaji table" in the settings. Maybe your table is all messed up. If you click customize at the very bottom-left you can select to reset defaults from the dropdown menu.

That's Sasha Grey, not a tranny

What are some cool terminal commands?

aplay -c 2 -f S16_LE -r 44100 /dev/urandom

Try this:
hexdump -v -e '/1 "%u\n"' < /dev/urandom | awk '{ split("0,2,4,5,7,9,11,12",a,","); for (i=0; i

>Its been out of date since june 2016
I don't know about the infinality upstream, but the archies have been patching it into updated versons of fontconfig and cairo, etc. In this case it looks like freetype had something fixed but freetype-infinality hasn't been updated.

I'm more curious whether the current hinting options (accessible via tweak tool or font-manager, for example) in the vanilla fontconfig are as good as the old infinality was.

>>Are you sure you have it set to "Romaji" input mode?
Yes, it's set to Romaji.
>>Also there is a "Romaji table" in the settings.
I never touched the table but checking it now, there's nothing odd there.
The problem is that it recognizes consonants as direct input. It doesn't happen always, and when it does, restarting ibus solves the issue most of the times. But it's still a pain to restart it every time.
I also found that this issue never happens with Gimp, but it does happens with every other program I tried (including ff, mousepad, libreoffice, gjiten and others). So this is another solution I found, which is to open gimp and write there and then copy and paste.

can you make a verson for paplay?

Hello. I have house 1 and house 2. I have the computers at both location connected over openvpn House 2 has RTL-2832u card and tzap converting a channel. I want to stream this over http or anything similar to house 1. I tried ffmpeg -i /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 /srv/http/joseph.mkv but this only makes a big file I don't need. Can I just run a systemd service in the background to periodically delete this file or is there a more proper way to setup streaming terrestrial television?

cd code
cd -
cd -
cd -
cd -
cd -
[...]

just ssh

Sounds like the problem is in ibus, not mozc. Try uim-mozc, scim-mozc or fcitx-mozc (I used to run uim and ibus is certainly better, but it's worth a try in your case).

>upstream
It isnt an upstream package, its a set of patches that boohmii was running,he vanished out of thin air and his domain is gone.

It dosent work with the latest harfbuzz,it is outdated and you should not use it.Go to the fucking infinality fix github and follow instructions to mimic it

Read the fucking forums if you're a retarded denier

what is the difference between linux and unix?
isn't it basically the same?

Are you just using a standard US keyboard?
When it does bug out, if you type successive vowels does it still allow you to do the conversion?

For example say you type: あい
does it allow you to convert it to 愛 or is the conversion line just being completely dropped?

Will give it a try, thanks.

>>Are you just using a standard US keyboard?
Yes.
>>When it does bug out, if you type successive vowels does it still allow you to do the conversion?
When it bugs out, it considers every keystroke as a direct input, so no conversions allowed.

Thanks,i will keep that in mind

> xxd -r -p

Unix is a system form the 70s, which was pretty cool, but proprietary. The GNU project rewrote it later as Free Software, but they were lacking a working kernel. In the 90s Linux (a Unix compatible kernel) was available and combined with the GNU system. From there lots of software was added, which today makes the GNU/Linux system. We call these systems (there is also BSD, which is also based on the ideas of Unix) "unix-like". There is also the trademark UNIX, which you can get a certificate for. Not many systems have it. macOS for example goes under this treadmark.
Since all these systems are based on the ideas of the original Unix, they share many simliar programs, but they were created independently and their behavior can differ. There were efforts to make standards, but that's a different story.

>It isnt an upstream package, its a set of patches that boohmii was running,he vanished out of thin air and his domain is gone.
I don't know about the jargon, but I basically implied this when I was talking about them patching it into current versions
>It dosent work with the latest harfbuzz,it is outdated and you should not use it.Go to the fucking infinality fix github and follow instructions to mimic it
it seemed like infinality-* packages weren't causing any problems when last I had them installed
>Read the fucking forums if you're a retarded denier
you seem angry and confused desu. I don't know why you're taking a question about font hinting packages and turning it into a flame war.

>When it bugs out, it considers every keystroke as a direct input, so no conversions allowed.
Well that's your problem then. I don't think it's distinguishing between consonants and vowels at all. It's just that the kana starting with consonants require more than 1 keystroke and are getting dropped to just the roman character before it receives the second one.

Not sure what could be causing that though.
Can you try changing the "Embed preedit text in application window" option on the IBus settings general tab?
Or maybe under the Advanced tab changing the "use system keyboard layout" and "share the same input method among all applications" settings

Cause you're a retard wasting my time.Im telling you how to fucking fix it and get the results you want, but you're too fucking dense to understand anything.

thoughts on systemd?

It's for geyboys

People despise it for some reason. I use openrc btw

I'm setting fcixt up to see if it works fine, I can get used to it and it doesn't bug out but I'll give your suggestions a try later.
Thanks.

I dislike Red Hat fags, but I'm not stupid enough for the systemd is a botnet meme. It's fine.

What is /fglt's opnion about games?

I understand it, and I'm even smurt enoughf to find gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671. You're the one who can't answer a simple question without turning into a turbocunt.

Games are fun.

A good way to unwind and source of entertainment

I miss my super nintendo.

install Red Eclipse

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis when I was dead broke..

But you are stupid enough to think that's the only reason to stay away from it. There's a myriad of other reasons.

For one, it's setting itself up to be irreplaceable. Now that might not sound so bad in our shortsightedness
but have you considered how things would be if all GNU/Linux software was created that way?

Guess what, systemd wouldn't even be able to exist because we'd be stuck with our old busted shit and unable to replace it. Do you see the problem here? What happens 20yrs from now when systemd is old and busted and we want something else? Well you'll be stuck with it and I'll be on Gentoo saying I told you so.

and that's just the start of the issues surrounding systemd.

What games do you play and your OS?

Halo Online, Rainbow 6 siege, windows 8.1

>is reactos a viable chpise for games yet?
No. You can't even install the latest version of Firefox. If React OS were Windows it would be Windows 2000, or maybe XP in 2001-2003

Is there a flat icon theme for Solus?

Ask Kevin

I just want to know if the anons on /fglt play games or not, not that kind of gaming.

i dont get the kevin meme

you mean kevin robinson from school?

Red Eclipse!

No, Kevin the Solus shill

What do you mean? Icon themes are not distro specific. Just find a flat icon theme and install it.

You should be able to just toss the theme in ~/.icons as simple as that.

I'm a newbie in terms of distros and desktops environments. I recently installed Fedora as my first distro and it came with GNOME 3. It seems it is one of the least popular desktop environments, but why all the hate? I don't specially like it but also don't specially hate it so I don't get why a lot of people seem to dislike it.

How up to date and bleeding edge™ is Gentoo compared to, say, Arch?

I took the vertex-maia icon theme from manjaro and put it in my ~/.icons folder in solus, it kinda worked, but nautilus and the start/home/menu button in the corner have generic icons.

It probably just doesn't have icons for those.

You can add a fallback for it though, open up the "index.theme" file inside the icon theme and under the
>[Icon Theme]
section add:
>Inherits=
Then it'll fill in any missing icons with the other theme.

thanks

Which FREE distro should I install on my T420?

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Trisquel or Parabola.

I'd say Parabola or Guix if you want to try something new.

Trisquel

What's the best Arch auto installer? Other than Antergos, I mean.

Arch anywhere?

Become a living meme

arch is a meme

Antergos isn't an installer.

I was expecting someone to say "bro just install Antergos and change os-release bro", or something along those lines.

I'll give it a try. I did try Architect (I think) before and it was completely broken.

logos

im running windows

>have a Dazzle DVC90
>remember installing fedora on some old early 2000's and getting it to run flawlessly
>don't remember what I did
>computer doesn't exist anymore

I'd love to use it for streaming, but I don't remember how to install it

Sad to hear that. You should remove it, because it is malware.

Its for real professions though.

What is the best lightweight web browser for 32bit linux?

firefox

>lightweight
surf
>best lightweight
ff nightly or icecat

Actually using it but the performance sucks on my new x60

try midori-browser.org/

FF ESR or icecat, pale moon runs smoothly also, usually, but they're furries

qutebrowser.org

any way to install this shit on arch?
cloudflare.com/docs/railgun/installation.html

if not what's the most cutting edge, yet reasonably stable deb-based distro suitable for servers? I want to add some nvme disks to my dedi and centOS (my usual go-to) doesn't really work.

Which chipset do you have, are you even able to with an Intel Centrino 6205?

Many people can't use a free distro because of lacking wifi drivers. It could pretty much boost the amont of people who would use a free distro. So, why isn't anyone working on free drivers? Where to start?

>find source
>create pkgbuild
>install
Done

You need to talk to the hardware companies and have them release source.Otherwise its all reverse engineering ,which takes a fuck ton of time and effort

And Pale Meme is outdated as FUCK