Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I switched recently and I've been enjoying it.

a chair?

just use arch

It's Antergos with more shit on top of it for no reason whatsoever and Antergos is basically Arch pre-configured with a GUI installer.

Just install Arch.

I think it's F i l n

Manjaro is fundamentally flawed.

It's an Arch based distro, but they use their own packages repositories which are usually a week or two behind Arch's. THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

If a package gets updated in the Arch repos and it as critical bug they will update a fix in matter of hours, sometimes minutes.

However, if the faulty package got into the Manjaro upstream it can take WEEKS before they upload the patched version.

Sometimes they will catch faulty packages and freeze them in older version, but update packages than depend on those other packages, rendering a lot of software unusable for weeks.

If you want a nicely set up Arch-based distro use Antergos.

Manjaro is Antergos for total noobs who want rolling release but don't want to deal with the bugs.

>However, if the faulty package got into the Manjaro upstream it can take WEEKS before they upload the patched version.

Isn't the whole point of delayed release so they can hold off on releasing a faulty package in the first place? I mean if you get an update that breaks a package on Arch an Antergos, don't the Manjaro maintainers just wait until it's patched before letting it loose on their servers instead of releasing multiple updates within a span of a day or two?

yeah, and the thing is, that angle doesn't even attract people to Manjaro. people use Manjaro because they like how the DE is set up and don't have to personally waste time with it.

so it's really pointless the Manjaro devs do that. they wouldn't lose any popularity by just using Arch's repos.

They try to, and to be honest they catch a lot of bugs.

The problem is when they fail to notice the packages are faulty, this can happen for many reasons:

The software is not really that popular and got under the radar of the Manjaro maintainers.

The bug was reported in-between updates (Arch users get the fix as soon as it's ready, Manjaro users have to wait til they roll updates).

Sometimes they will hold a package that is a dependency for another and update the children one, rendering it useless. (This happen to me last year, they updated mpv but not ffmpeg and puff... mpv was busted).

This brings many more problems: For example if you use an AUR package that requires the newer version of a software that is on the Arch repos, it might not compile in a Manjaro machine because of the older packages on the Manjaro repos.

I don't like the out-of-the-box font rendering on Manjaro

Manjaro user since a year, was using xubuntu before but wanted a rolling distro.
It's fine for everyday home usage

So it's not for autists?

It's amazing. Probably the stables Linux experience I've had. Also officially support openrc.

Its not supposed to replace arch so saying you should just install arch is kinda stupid.

What's the purpose of a rolling distro?

I just used arch-anywhere

Rolling release means you don't have to do a dist upgrade when the devs bump their release version up

Trick question, Linux itself is for autists.

Computers are for autists.

Main negative for slightly advanced users is you can never fully strip it down to "Just arch"
Wish they would undo/fix that, it would be a hands down recommendation but for now it's just like "yeah it's good" especially if you're new
or want "Cooler Ubuntu with arch "

>an os named after an old viral video

>Main negative for slightly advanced users is you can never fully strip it down to "Just arch"

How's that? Just swap out their repos with Arch repos

Upgrading non rolling distros like Ubuntu and Fedora to the next major version is a pain in the ass. Something always breaks.

> if the faulty package got to manjaro
that doesn't happen because they use autistic arch users as beta testers. thanks for the stable system for the past 2 years.