Try to update arch on laptop

>Try to update arch on laptop
>X server breaks

I guess the arch neet meme was right all along.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernels/Arch_Build_System
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Blackscreen_at_X_startup_.2F_Machine_poweroff_at_X_shutdown
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143672
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>be an idiot
>things don't work and I don't understand why

checks out

>trying to update your computer makes you an idiot

This is why people don't want to use Linux.

then go back to wangblows you normalfag !*!*!

Linux is for losers mate

>arch
you honestly got memed. The only distro I would suggest for people not willing to waste time is Fedora. Sup Forums will shit talk it just because its easy to use and not completely broken on every update, even gentoo is less of a meme than arch, atleast with gentoo you get the ability to use USE_FLAGS and thereby compile everything for your hardware

Is arch only for neets then? If I had a shekel for each time x server broke.

how is it even possible to break X without doing something retarded.

worst case you have to reinstall X and regenerate xorg.conf

it honestly is. I think its legit the most meme linux distro, it offers nothing over debian unstable/testing and nothing over gentoo. If you want a proper desktop distro for real use just go Fedora, it has sane defaults and only packages that you need by default and has selinux enabled and working by default. the installer even lets you setup full disk encryption really easily.

Easily. Merely updating for the first time in months breaks it all.

Honestly fedora is the savior of Linux desu.

Arch is oksy with the wiki and AUR but besides that it can be really shitty.

huh, i didn't use my arch install for like 6months and the only thing that was broken was my boot partition (windows update fucked it up).

had to reformat, reinstall bootloader and kernel, no problems with updates.

git gud.

Okay then tell me how to fix this.

post your Xorg log maybe

my xorg hasn't broken since an ABI change from 1.13 or 0.9 or something 5-7 years ago, and that was because of nvidia being shit
so you think gentoo is better than arch on laptops? do you WANT people compiling for days or something? why would I want to spend 10-20 minutes everytime I wanted to install a few programs

Did you reinstall your graphics driver with the new linux headers?

termbin.com/2pmh

Here

but my wlan card doesn't work on fedora

Sometimes i have to delete pacman database and other useless files left from updates. Aside that i haven't see any problem with it. Maybe you have an nv card or something.

it's not recommended to have an xorg anymore, even a generated one

What seems to be the problem? Black screen?

I thought it was crashing but that doesn't seem to be the case.

>Okay then tell me how to fix this.
why are you using arch if you're too retarded to google/fix your own problems? stick to something dumbfuck friendly

>things that never happened

this

Yes

>Fedora
just google linus fedora
>rekt

i -Syuu once a year
it just werks™

It sounds just like the displayport bug with nvidia drivers but he's on a fucking thinkpad lol

what is your /etc/X11/xorg.conf or your /xorg/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

I deleted those just now

okay, you should uninstall nvidia drivers and then see if nouveau works.

How do I do xorg -configure it keeps saying it's already running

fuck off you cunt that literally fucks up every pc ive done it on

that's the point, it helps isolate a little better to see if it's an x11 bug, a kernel one, or an nvidia. wtf are you doing uninstalling nvidia to try out nouveau if it's already working?
pkill X
nvidia-xconfig

Okay it said it wasn't able to locate x configuration file and xorg server package wasn't found somehow it made new x conf

I wonder what people will be bashing Arch with after xorg gets replaced by wayland

yeah nvidia-xconfig generates a new config for you, does it work now?

No startx is still not working. Should I get rid of nvidia package now

Honestly you get memed if you start off with arch just because Sup Forums says so. I personally use it daily since ubuntu switched to unity.

Used gentoo, debian (mostly in VMs and mostly kali/parrot) and fedora aswell. I just prefer Arch for the amazing wiki and community, because it forces you to understand what your doing but not as much as gentoo (which is great on its own too) and for pacman and AUR.

FYI you can compile the kernel with arch aswell:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernels/Arch_Build_System

I'm pretty sure it can be done with debian, slack and other distros. Don't get meme'd yourself with gentoo.

Basically any distro is like the others if you build it yourself. It's just a kernel, repos and a package manager.

>inb4 typos, on mobile atm.

have you tried these first? also I'd still keep your xorg.conf empty / removed

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Blackscreen_at_X_startup_.2F_Machine_poweroff_at_X_shutdown

Ok I removed the xorg.conf and uninstalled nvidia and installer nouveau. Rebootinh noe

>tfw it works

Thank you based user

nouveau can be pretty slow / shit battery usage on the wrong gpu, if you want to get the nvidia proprierty working you can try the stuff in that link above. Add "nvidia" to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and then run mkinitcpio -p linux and then pacman -Syu nvidia nvidia-utils and reboot

that's if you care enough though lol

I guess ill try to do that. I'm using thinkpad t420 and also I noticed screenfetch doesn't show gpu name

yeah I was just looking at that, you might want to try bumblebee actually

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143672

Ill look into later I think but thanks senpai

>kernel is 4.9
The current Arch kernel is 4.10 you sack of shit.

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

Basically this. Pacman is maximum comfy, and building certain packages from source if you want to is super easy.

It does if you install Arch.