I have installed Linux Mint, and set it up completely. Problem is...

I have installed Linux Mint, and set it up completely. Problem is, this piece of shit is FAR slower than Windows 10 in every single operation, from booting to browsing Sup Forums. I installed it on the same drive as my Windows 10 install, that is a Samsung 850 Evo, Windows is still much faster despite being encrypted with bitlocker. Mint takes like 2x to boot, 3x to show the desktop after a login, and is also slower to open programs, and even when I use the file manager to click on folders and files, sometimes there is a delay when I select a file then quickly select another, and even ui animations are kinda choppy. Firefox is slow when browsing with many tabs open, even without a single extension, on the other hand, on Windows 10 my Firefox with at least 10 extensions takes like 100 tabs before it slows down noticeably.

Installing the proprietary nVidia and Intel drivers made no difference whatsoever.

Have I done something terribly wrong (I admit I haven't used Linux in ages, and this one was almost 100% automated, only had to install drivers manually for my wifi dongle) or is the "linux is faster than windows" a meme unless you have a literal toaster instead of a PC?

>Have I done something terribly wrong
Yes, you installed Mint. Not trying to be facetious, it is genuinely shit-slow.

Set swappiness to 10.

In my experience, Linux has always been slightly slower in running the web browser (Netscape through to Firefox). And Windows 10 boots blazingly fast, there's no denying that.

But I just don't trust Windows anymore as my main desktop OS, so I also installed Mint and only run Windows 7 virtually when I need it.

Try debian with Xfce. Its way better than Mint + any DE.

I reserve Debian for my servers.

Mint is just so polished and Cinnamon is too nice...

Yes, you must have done something wrong. Windows is always slower. I'd also like to add that the cinnamon desktop is the slowest I've ever used. Try a different desktop and see if that helps.

I run mint and barely use windows anymore.

Should have gotten ubuntu.

Bullshit.

Win 7 > Mint > Win 10

Ubuntu looks like Mac OS' retarded cousin.

Cinnamon is pretty slow for some reason. Try using MATE.

>Try a different desktop
the others look like shit

(You)

not my fault you have shit taste

Mint is a meme.

>I'd also like to add that the cinnamon desktop is the slowest I've ever used.
It's plenty fast compared to Unity, Gnome 3 or god forbid Plasma.

Install Arch

Debian
Arch
Opensuse
Trisquel
Qubes

All minus cinnamon all are better than mint

Use KDE just my 2 cents. Don't want Debian run opensuse

Stop lying on the internet

You have done it wrong.
Botnet is always slower.

There is this thing called the browser cache.
For the benchmark to be fair you should clear the cache in windows. Also the DNS cache.
Another way to benchmark fairly is to measure after having opened exactly the same tabs in both browsers at least once before the real test.

Also are they both 32b or 64b? Does the linux partition have as much as RAM available?

>Mint
>Polished

mint is bloated shit, try void linux it doesnt have systemd, I would personally go with freeBSD route

Systemd is what makes it usable.

Linux users are literally fucking delusional

Mint "Search Assistant" botnet in Firefox

Cinnamon's integration with Mint is pretty nice though.