Are tablets obsolete at this point? Do people still buy them?

Are tablets obsolete at this point? Do people still buy them?

Other urls found in this thread:

us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why would i want to buy a $2000 facebook machine when i can just buy a $20 tablet to check emails

A surface is hardly a tablet.

> are tablets obsolete at this point?
hell no
> Do people still buy them
yes, but not a lot since old tablets still functions perfectly, unlike smartphones

Industry still doesn't deliver decent tablets for desktop replacement. More money to be made with overpriced toy tablets.

Yes

because of tech illiteracy

Sadly, their are people that will do this.
>Spend $1000-2000 on tech
>Just to fuck around on social media and play stupid ass mobile games.

I want a nexus 7 2017 so I can change my nexus 7 2012

>tfw no coffee tablet facebook

People still buy them, sure.

But an iPad 2 is still perfectly usable today so why upgrade?

The market sure looks like shit.

I'm looking for a tablet to shitpost in my favourite Egyptian cotton trading forum and to watch some videos.

I guess I will just have to keep using my phone.

Major brands are absolutely horrendous. You can't find anything in the 200€ range that isn't a 720p display with a hamster and a wheel for a power source. Chink shit uses w10 besides being a gamble.

I kinda want one, but I'm pretty sure I'm just deluding myself into thinking I'll get any practical use out of a $200 toy.

To those of you with tablets - what do you use them for? Are they convenient and useful enough to justify the price?

- Consuming media. Since I have the tablet for that, this allows me to pick a smaller, battery focused phone and a larger work focused laptop
- Reading books
- Writing with stylus
- Games. No games on phone.

Yep

us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one
Is this e-reader worth it?

Non ironically been using my iPad Mini 2 as a temporary mousepad for the last three months.

Even a QcK would be better.

I really like them when I'm out of town or at my cabin. Being able to watch movies/tv on my dock is awesome, and they're more portable than a laptop (although a laptop is admittedly basically just as good, as well as being way better in almost every other area)

convertibles are still very popular

Bad experience with it myself. Bought it, screen broke/froze after a MINUTE. Returned it, got a new one, then the same thing happened three days later.

In my case, I already got a good laptop, so I have a hard time justifying it being useful in work/studying,especially since I mainly do math./coding work. But it might be neat to have as just an all-round media hub around the house, combined with a note-taker/general planner.

I use my old 2012 iPad occasionally for reading manga.

Other than that they're pretty much dead unless you like to view a bunch of 4:3 content from old TV shows.

I still use my Shamsung Note10, first model, till this day.
I mainly use it for drawing, light programming, watching things and to VNC to computers from around the house or garden.

U N R O O T E D.
Fuck you, Touchjizz multi-window is still better than Androids shit-tier official version that came years later.
And that is even considering the Touchjizz Window Manager is fucking awful.
Combined with a floating window app it is a dream.

I want a gimmicky tablet like the Yoga even though I don't really need one

an ereader is a great to have, unlike a tablet which is basically a larger phone without a Sim, or a shit Win 10 laptop (Surface Pro etc. excluded).

Kobo went full retard with the One and the new H2O though - the very best reason to get a larger ereader over a common 6" one is to read manga or comics, and in their infinite wisdom they decided to scrap the micro SD expansion slot.

G pad 8.3, 1080p, 8.3", nice finish, quad core and 2Gb ram. Also some custom roms available, I'm using lineage

I have the 12.9" iPad Pro, and it's awesome. Having touch, digitizer, and keyboard rolled into one device -- a device which is running an actual touch-friendly OS with actual touch-friendly apps -- is pretty great. Plus, it's cellular, which means I can use it anywhere.

As far as usefulness, I use it at uni. Note-taking, ebook reading, etc are use cases that it's uniquely qualified for. Outside those, it's pretty good at everyday computer stuff: web browsing, music/video, some light photography and image editing, etc. About the only thing I can't do with it is programming.

>surface is hardly a tablet.
Yep, you're right. It is a terrible tablet. No apps and desktop programs suck on a touch screen.
Sucks as a laptop too since the screen won't stay in place. Surface owners are buyer's remorse in waiting.
t.former Surface owner before returning to Costco

Comics & Manga

tablets are for normies

Only if you're an idiot. A tablet is only as good as its user.

>le tablets are useless meme
tablets are perfect for browsing the web or watching some videos on your couch.

Tablets are perfect for lots of things. It's just a matter of relearning some things.

A laptop is better in every way.

For starters you don't have to hold on to it constantly.

Only Android tablets are obsolete when 2 in 1 Chromebooks exist that are a hundred times better than tablets for both productivity since you have an actual keyboard and for media consumption since the screen is bigger. Ipads still serve a purpose since they actually have a proper app ecosystem for tablets that Android doesn't have.

You could say the inverse just as easily. A tablet is something you don't always have to have a clear surface and/or a chair in order to use to its fullest.

That aside, it's not even true that you have to hold on to a tablet 'constantly'. Even the OP's image shows tablets not being held.

If the form factor is a problem then you just get a keyboard case like OP pic related, and then you have the best of both worlds.

>Are tablets obsolete at this point?

No. Most non-power users will have their needs met with a tablet. There are already apps for just about everything they need.

Nexus 7 2013 was the first and last realistic tablet. Decent launch price, decent lifespan barring any weird failures, varied uses, small enough to pass/show to others with one hand while working, large enough for media consumption. Allows for supplementation with bluetooth keyboard, headset, speakers, gamepad, etc. Sure, that can be done with a smartphone too but the size of the Nexus 7 made those investments viable.

Nowadays you can only aim up at far more expensive Surface tablets, iPads, Dell Latitude/Lenovo 2-in-1s or aim beneath sea level at anything chinkshit. The only mid-range item like the Nexus 7 is the Chromebook, which is a laptop or a 2-in-1. There really needs to be a new Nexus 7 or something like it, I'm still using mine.

What would you do with it?!?!?!?!

>want a tablet for weebshit
>no good visual novels for Android and vnds has horrible support
>no good manga downloader/update checker/reader for Windows
Should I just dual boot a Surface Pro 3 or what?

I don't know. I just want to buy stuff in an meaningless effort to fill the emptiness in me.

I didn't come to this board to feel man.

I honestly kind of want an iPad pro, to draw on mostly.

You'll get one and then realise that it was a complete waste of money.

I own a 12.9" iPad Pro though with my company discount I only paid $500 for everything including AppleCare+ and a Apple pencil

I love it, and for the most part its completely replaced my laptop.

>browsing Sup Forums
>drawing
>reading
>occasional games

I have my desktop if I need a full computer. I'm probably going to give my mother my Macbook since she needs a new computer.