Storage thread - when how much is too much

Storage thread - when how much is too much

Other urls found in this thread:

kb.brandeis.edu/display/SCI/Using rclone to archive data on Google Drive
research-it.berkeley.edu/blog/17/05/16/using-rclone-transfer-data-bdrive
andyibanez.com/rclone-encryption-tutorial/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

give it back jamal

Stop hoarding chinese cartoon blu-ray rips.

infinity terabytes

Is that NAS?

it was a Synology nas raid6 of 8 X 4 tb HGST drives but then the synology died and I said fuckit I need to access my files. Now im just running ubuntu on an old HP proliant with a areca raid card running pass through disks and that does all my nas requirements,

UNLIMITED
POWAH

Is this what happens when you sign up with an email address from certain educational institutions?

And google selling each and every single bit of it.

Not anymore. The unlimited storage option only lasted for a while, then Google realised shit loads of people were paying $5 to have students make them an .edu email and closed down the offer.

I think it now caps at 1TB and you need to have not only an .edu email but it needs to be a school that uses the gmail administration tool as its mail handler.

They never revoked any of the old unlimited accounts though, so all the early people still have them.

>mfw 120GB is more than enough for everything

No

The bitcoin wallet is 144GB

Yes, storing useless things is useless, useless. Uselesee.

>Seagate backup

It looks like it's encrypted, famalampai

Any good duplicate file finders? Any good methodologies for organizing data strewn about on a few hard drives (other than just buying a drive which is at least as large than all the current drives and move everything to it)?

>useless

With torrents sites dying, it has been suggested that it's advised to hoard as much of stuff of interest as possible, as it might become irretriavable at a later time.

>as it might become irretriavable at a later time.
and nothing of value will be lost.
If it ought to be forgotten, let it die, everything that need to be remembered is already backed up somewhere.

I have education account with unlimited storage as well. Have there been any complaints about abusing this service, is it safe to use it for storing chinese cartoons? Also do you encrypt files before uploading them to the drive?

Yeah I encrypt everything and transfer with rclone. Also, I haven't really tested using this extensively - I just use if for backups of disk image snapshots currently. I know that some people stream directly from google drive to Plex with this setup. Not sure whether it is feasible to seed directly from gdrive.
I don't think institutions/google really care about it as there are instructions to do this hosted on a few .edu sites:
kb.brandeis.edu/display/SCI/Using rclone to archive data on Google Drive
research-it.berkeley.edu/blog/17/05/16/using-rclone-transfer-data-bdrive
andyibanez.com/rclone-encryption-tutorial/

>mfw Windows install with all the software and docs is up to 200GB

You don't have to worry about storing pirated content on there. Google doesn't give a shit what you upload as long as it isn't cheesy pizza.

JUST DON'T SHARE PUBLIC LINKS OF YOUR PIRATED SHIT!!! Someone can report these links for copyright infringement.

Although this may be true now, I can't be sure that this will be true in 5, 10 years. Also, I'm not sure what sort of access my organization's admins have to view my files, but I'd rather not have them snooping around.

tfw your university email doesnt end with .edu so you dont get the bonus.

fuck this shit man, shitty cheap as university

oh look, drives not part of a raid or a backup system
enjoy your data loss, faggit.

My "NAS"
I have 2 TB SSDs in my primary PC but they aren't meant for storage
Will probably get a 8 TB Seagate NAS drive this winter

There is no such thing as too much storage.

Geany, that's what all you faggots should use.

This has got to be bait the 24 tb volume is a linux raid6 and the 2 10 tb drives literally are called backup...

works well enough for me

"That's not enough user"
>5 years later
I could've used a single 750gb and been fine.

macOS has shitty multi drive support

>nothing to hide, nothing to worry about

Why? What's wrong with it?