/fglt/ - Friendlt GNU Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/
download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/25/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25-1.3.iso
localhost:631/
youtube.com/watch?v=2qQTXp4rBEE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

install gentoo

linux is c00l

But i already have

I agree, Linus :p

What IDE / tool do you use for programming?

>wake up
>no debian 9

What is the best way to create a shortcut in whisker menu

Sublime Text Editor 3 for casual programming

Vim and the language's compiler or interpreter. Bigger projects I would switch to sublime text as I prefer the way it handles folders and separate files.

i want to get Fedora but I don't see an .iso download anywhere on their page. what the hell is "fedoraMediaWriter.exe" ?

Sublime looks pretty good. I'm too used to Visual Studio so Vim doesn't appeal to me, I need all those fancy features.

getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/

how can I customise my Linux a bit more?
(xubuntu btw)

Also, you say casual programming, are you just a hobbyist or do you use something else for work?

I like to learn programming in my spare time, so I just Sublime. I don't actual program for work or anything, but I'm not saying one shouldn't use Sublime for serious work either.

well i think as a guy said last thread im going to go with openbox + tint2, but id like to ask why use it over i3 or awesome? I like that openbox is floating but a lot of people are passionate about using tiling window managers. Aso, Am i correct in thinking a DE is really just software bundle which restricts the user moreso?

it creates boot media iirc
download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/25/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25-1.3.iso
search harder next time

Oh okay, same here. I'm just curious about what the popular IDEs are here, I recently came from Windows. Sublime seems to be popular. I'm gonna go so more googling and see what's out there.

marx was a fucking lazy, greedy jew pig.

Fuck you for associating him with *nix you plebian faggot.

so triggered lol

How do I Linux without becoming an autist?

How do I setup a printer in xfce?
I've been using Linux for only a couple of months with kde and switched to xfce yesterday.
Kde has an easy to use gui for setting up a printer in the settings menu. Apparently xfce has nothing to help with printers built in.
I tried system-config printer so far but I can't get it working.

I'm using Arch with xfce and lightdm.

1. install CUPS
2. install extra CUPS "drivers" as needed (gutenprint, hplip etc)
3. start CUPS
4. localhost:631/

if you use a hp printer, install the hplip GUI and set up your printer with that.

it's a joke dude, chill

Realize that not having to ctrl+c ctrl+v every time you want to copy-paste something is something you always wanted but didn't realize until you tried it.

do amd gus support wayland yet?

Is it possible to get a 32-bit manjaro iso for CD's or something under 700mb?

>gtk3 Select File window doesn't even have the side preview
what do

install qt

You use it because you prefer it. Openbox is great as I like the very minimal way it handles everything. If you like hot keys and shortcuts Openbox can be configured to enable that, but it doesn't have that out of the box like i3. For me personally I use a config of dmenu and tint2 to get it just how I like it.

qt File window doesn't have image preview

Is there a Distro that dosent suck ?
I tried Xubuntu on my x220 today and even with compton the tearing was unbearable

Gentoo

what is dmenu? im trying to figure it out, it says its an app launcher and menu, but that doesnt make sense. i like that open box can be highly customised but the learning curve is sure there

Is it trolling?

dmenu is a program that launches other programs. When you exec dmenu, a black bar appears at the top of your screen where it prompts you to enter the name of the program to be launched

just noobish and trying to figure out rice. if desktop threads were still a thing ala 2012 id ask there

ah right.

How would I spawn one floating terminal in bspwm?

I thought I was on to something with "bspc rule -a urxvt ---one-shot --floating" then spawn a terminal, but apparently not.

Quick Question:

If I have set module option in /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf for the iwlwifi drivers, how do I know if they are actually working? Is there a way I can check?

Mother fucker. I figured it out. Window class was wrong.

Linux has several problems. Chief among them is a community full of social misfits and nerds who aren't helpful and can be rude. I was using Solydx the other day. New install and noticed my Ethernet wasn't working. Wi-Fi was fine though. The GUI didn't connect either. So off I went to the forums and I found a answer but it was full of the usual unhelpful crap.

I've used Atom for a while. Although even on Linux is a bit slow on startup has all the fanciness you want.

What's a good itjustworks.jpg distro that isn't too bloated by default?

Should I just go for a Debian net install with a full DE setup?

Is it possible to just install a DE without all the associated crap like toolbars/mail clients/browsers and stuff?

>picks up a niche distro
>blames the entire linux community when its userbase isn't helpful
Are you sure you're not just trolling yourself?

I just started using xfce and have 2 stupid questions.

What is the shortcut to open the search dialog (application finder) ?

How do I get it to stop restoring my previous session at login.

Hmm, Atom looks good too.

ALT+F2

When logging out, uncheck the "save previous session" option

>it's another "proof that gnu/linux is communism" telemarketing thread

modprobe

Devuan netinstall, pick a DE

Friendly reminder that Microsoft has telemarketers working 24/7 to shitpost on Sup Forums

I had family that got sent to the camps to suffer in horrible ways you imbecile. I don't find it funny. These kikes butchered tens of millions of Eastern Europeans while cocksuckers like you worship the ground they walk on. Putting that obese pedophile Jew Stallman in every Linux thread is stupid enough, you dumb commies just had to go full retard this time.

cat the files in /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/

What the hell kid.

GNU/Linux thread*

what ever happened to that next gen of cpus will need Windows thing?

I'm not a "kid" you dumb motherfucker.

You(){ You|You & };You

used NDISwrapper to install my usb wifi adapter by netgear, its the wna3100, installed broadcom drivers from the repositories, and installed drivers and used NDISwrapper, shows everything is installed perfectly, still no internet connectivity.
What do Sup Forums? is Manjaro just a meme like Arch?

Our fault for being too lazy with creating new threads.

It was never "new CPUs won't work with Linux" thing except in the dreams of some fucking retards.

Your only meme is using a downstream third party distro

t. king of the memes

Stop LARPing

what's the difference between hackernews and reddit?

You think this a troll?! Communism ended less then 30 years ago. There are still people online who were affected by it.

Off topic.

How do I disable middle click to paste highlighted?
I use Ctrl V to paste and middle click to scroll.

Using Mint Mate

This isn't Windows. Learn to like it.

So is the picture of Marx you retarded nigger, I didn't see you complain then.

You don't say, OP.

easier to install than Arch

>fdisk
>mkfs
>grub-installer
>mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>pacstrap /mnt base
>chroot /mnt
>fstab
>pacman --Syu
>reboot
Done
SO HARD
OMG

(((Linux))) and (((GPL))) is just more kike marxist garbage. Pro linux is anti white.

why so triggered by marx, sharing is caring

That's why I'm using GNU/Linux instead.

Only IDs may save Sup Forums now.

(((GNU))) is part of the problem with its kike licence promoting kike ideologies like (((communism))) and (((libertarianism))) and (((anarcho capitalism))).

Oh no... the "((()))" spammer is back! Just ignore him/her everyone.

Sup Forums and Sup Forums has been pozzed for years supporting pro kike race traitor (((ron paul))).

They're just more vocal because it's politically correct to be a leftist.Linux had/has all sorts of developers on it. It's just that subhuman trash like OP use it as a vehicle to push leftism.

all one poster

>6 (You)'s

That's gotta be a new record

Here's proof that you're wrong you brain dead whore.

this
Sup Forums loves role playing
telemarketers love astroturfing
next to the usual trolls ofc

(((Linux))) and (((GPL))) is being pushed hard by communist kike pedo (((richard stallman))) who rather would have white developers starve to death than white proprietary software. Even (((Linus Torvalds))) is a jew loving race traitor who praises (((GPL))).

Anyway... What is your favorite GNU/Linux distribution?

Debian GNU/Linux

Interesting you love an SJW distro mr. goldberg. Tell me more how we need more diversity and less whites.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

Eh, I'll stick to gentoo. Source Mage seems like way too much time and effort for little reward.

Another problem with (((Linux))) is that it makes it too easy for non whites and SJWs to take over and ruin it. (((GPL))) is too pro diversity.

The one I recently fell in love with is GuixSD. guix is pretty cool tb h.

OC

I second this

Why does Sup Forums not focus enough on pro white distros?

Is there a way to load non-free kernel modules?

install sourcemage

This should be included in next OP
youtube.com/watch?v=2qQTXp4rBEE

Is she okay? Didn't see new videos.