If you're using a surge protector on an ungrounded outlet...

If you're using a surge protector on an ungrounded outlet, will the surge protector stop functioning in the event of a power surge as it would on a grounded outlet?

If you're unsure what I mean, I use APC surge protectors. It's called "Catastrophic Event Protection":
>If the surge components are damaged due to power spike or over voltage, excess power cannot reach your equipment. Unlike the APC SurgeArrest products, most surge suppressors continue to let power through even after circuits have been damaged, leaving your equipment exposed to other damaging surges

So the way this seems to work is lightning strikes -> zaps surge protector -> surge protector dies. This is a good thing because when the surge protector dies, it keeps your equipment from receiving a massive spike of electricity and hopefully in my case, it would prevent electrical shock from occurring on an ungrounded outlet since the surge protector creates a choke point for electricity to pass through that it no longer can? Or am I wrong?

pls no bully

Other urls found in this thread:

apc.com/shop/hr/en/products/APC-Essential-SurgeArrest-5-oulets-230V-Germany/P-PM5-GR
youtube.com/watch?v=pnJml7Rz3sQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You should have a UPS with any desktop, so you don't lose your work.

The components in lesser power bars can be damaged from small spikes without you knowing it so when you need it to protect you, it doesn't.

You don't need fancy shit like that, a basic one like this will keep you safe from thunderbolts:

apc.com/shop/hr/en/products/APC-Essential-SurgeArrest-5-oulets-230V-Germany/P-PM5-GR

>ungrounded outlet

lol America

>ungrounded outlet
what the fuck ? are you from africa or some other third world place ?

Not worried about losing work.
I'm less interested in equipment damage. I'm more interested in whether it will prevent an object from becoming an electrical shock risk, given that the outlet isn't grounded.
Indeed I actually have two APC surge protectors, a fancy and cheap one. Both work fine.
Grow up.

Try this
youtube.com/watch?v=pnJml7Rz3sQ

le funneh meme xD

>Not worried about losing work.
Stop being a piece of shit.

I guess my question is if the APC surge protector acts as a ground fault circuit interruptor or not.

you can't have ground without ground, no

Some older homes don't have grounded outlets, rules change.

that's not the purpose of a gfci tho
in my case it's just one room that doesn't

>in my case it's just one room that doesn't
Then fix your wiring?

not my property
not a single post in this thread came even close to answering my question

Not just America.

I live in a Swedish apartment built in the 1960s. I really should get around to having an electrician redo my apartment because the only outlet that's grounded is the one above the sink in the kitchen. All the rest of the outlets in the kitchen and the outlets in the hall, livingroom and bedroom are not grounded. I keep putting it off because the large influx of sandniggers and the rapid rise in crime and breakdown of Swedish society in general makes me wonder how long I'll stand living here so I'm not sure if it's worth investing in this apartment.

On a pathetic side-note, Sweden has a stupid law that say that you're not allowed to ground electric sockets yourself or change grounded sockets. If it's not grounded then you can do what you want.

Any quality surge protector would have three varistors connected in L-E, L-N and N-E. Ideally, when a surge happens, the surge would be dumped to Earth through the L-E varistor. In the absence of Earthing, would go through the L-N connected varistor instead and potentially trip your breaker.

I need to upgrade my surge protector, what's a good brand?

that's for telling me about this surge protector, I was wanting to upgrade, your ad worked

In the two apartments I have been in in Japan almost all the sockets are ungrounded, and the few that have ground are the terminal type you need to screw a ground wire onto.

My computer is ungrounded, my monitor, my server. Living dangerous.

>would go through the L-N connected varistor instead and potentially trip your breaker.

>not having an RCD/GFI
>2015+2

If you was to open your main electrical box, you would see both the neutral and the ground wires are grounded to the ground buss.

So as long as your surge protector has varistors going from hot to neutral and most do, it should give you some protection for a lightning strike on the hot wire.

Do you see the varistors job is to reroute the surge from the hot or neutral to ground ?

In this case you only have one wire grounded providing protection, which is better then none.

Sounds to me that dumping to Neutral is the more likely result.