Moving files from a work computer

Anyone know of a way to pull files off a work computer without leaving too much of a trace?

I'm thinking if I have a PDF file and print it to a new pdf, password it, then RAR it and password that, then e-mail it to a safe e-mail from my home WIFI or public I should be good. Not doing anything illegal, but would definitely get in shit if I got caught.

Any suggestions on ways to minimize the risk? My hacking skills only involve fixing my parents TV most of the time.

Pic related?

sure. where do you work?

Copy the original PDF to somewhere else first then print to a new PDF and delete the old one, if asked say you printed it on accident you didn't want two copies so you deleted one of them,

Also encrypt the PDF before you rar

Everything you do on a machine you don't own can be easily traced, if you email anything to any adress and they cannot see the content (password protected) they will know you deliberately extracted trade secrets and will fire you on the spot.

Make a persistent TAILS usb stick, and upload it on some darknet service
I don't know what it is you're doing, but "mail it to a safe e-mail from my home WIFI or public" sounds really risky

If he can plug in any usb device he can just copy the file in there, duh

do NOT save the file or email yourself using windows. It's 100% tracked and logged by your company if you work for even a mid-sized corporation.
power the computer off COMPLETELY (Make sure fastboot/quick boot is disabled in control panel.

then boot a linux live distro on a usb drive at a public wifi like a starbucks or library and then copy the file to a different USB or email it to a throwaway, and retrieve it with your personal email later. DO NOT EMAIL IT WITH YOUR COMPANY EMAIL.

if you follow these instructions exactly you should be ok. Use tor/i2p for your email if you're extremely paranoid but honestly as long as you're on a public wifi and dont hang out there too long once you're done you should be ok.

Photograph the screen or copy the contents by hand.

>copy the file to a different USB or email it to a throwaway
If you already have the file why would he need to do this stupid shit?

I would imagine any company going to moderate lengths to protect data would have some sort of method of tracking file transfers like that.

If someone knows how that is done It'd be great if you'd explain how and which programs offer such a function.

Yeah, but what if they check his USBs while he's clocking out?
I guess if they do this it would be better to make a straight up live Tails USB

>tracking file transfers
You boot off usb then you copy the file on the usb drive, no traces.
He might not be able to use them or he would have done this already

to get it off the main HDD dumbass

If there's any way you can take the hard drive home you can clone the entire thing while the disk is in read only so you don't change anything, but accessing the disk from a live Linux distro while the PC is off seems to be the way to go

You're assuming he can take out a Work PC outside the workplace. If he had a laptop assigned to him he would be asking this.

If there's any exploit you guys know of I. Windows to completely fry a hard drive besides Zeroing a drive, Op could copy files then "accidentally" destroy the hard drive with his incompetence

zip a copy of the file(multiple zips if too big)
change filename to bmp
convert that to png
upload to the internet

If they glued the USB ports shut OP could set up a rouge FTP server and PXE boot off of it

underrated post

It would be helpful then if OP gave us more info.
Also those points are assuming that his file isn't in a network partition.

Not OP here, but asking for a friend. What's the worst that could happen to you if your company discovered that you retained a copy of their source code on a separate drive after you have left the company? Assume you just have the source code, and don't do anything with it/aren't planning to do anything with it. Just to have it for nostalgia, for example. Also assume that any contracts you signed do not mention what the penalty will be other than something like "equal to the damages caused to the company" which I assume would be $0 since you don't do anything with said code.

Just copy them on an usb drive

OP wrote
>from my home WIFI or public
fuckass

Take pics

Get a mini USB key

company can see USBs. what i'm doing isn't illegal just highly frowned upon. i have a laptop that is not regularly searched and will be re-imaged in approx 2 months, i just want to minimize the chances they catch anything.

mcdonalds

What do you mean by they can see them, as physically or virtually?

virtually. we've been instructed in training not to do it.

Even before the computer boots?

not necessarily. i think a Tails USB may be the safest way to get what i need, but wanted to see if there were any other options

Scp over a DNS tunnel. Failing that, you'll want to look into low and slow exfil techniques.

Better question.

If I setup a vm in windows and transferred a file in that vm, would they know about it if it was on my home wifi, and it was encrypted?

Wow I worded that badly.

I have a vm, and some files in that vm that I created. If I transfer that over https/sftp, on my home wifi to another pc, are they gunna know?

Wait, the computer you're stealing company data from is in your house? Just disconnect from the Internet and purge logs after you copy to a USB drive.

See

Lol just photograph the screen you gay retard.

Yes, logs can capture that.

Only worked one office job but it was jam packed with customers financial info including SSNS and such. The files were kept on a network drive which was inside of a jail within a jail etc. The actual files were DB files used with MS Access

Remove the hard drive, connect hard drive by usb to another computer, transfer file onto other computer. Put hard drive back into the computer. Done.

>Asking help to perform a breach of contract
>Not doing anything illegal, but would definitely get in shit if I got caught.
>My contract doest say shit abou...
Have you read your contract?
>Yes it doesnt say shi
HAVE YOU READ YOUR CONTRACT?
Nice try bub

Turn computer off.

Take hard drive out.

Put it in your laptop.

Make a copy at home
> dd bs=4M /dev/workHD /dev/yourHD

Bring it back.

Chassis intrusion detected

I would regularly upload files from my work computer to my university's moodle website's private files location. That's how I could get shit done during the day at work.

Life isn't grand theft auto you retard, you don't just get a 3 star wanted level for fucking up. nobody knows you did something unless they either see it, find evidence of it, or you tell people. And you're telling people online, cut that shit out.

Better yet, pop the HDD out of that sucker and DD it somewhere. Boom. Fucking done without all this headache.

full disk encryption

get a capture card and copy down all the pages of the pdf.

I haven't done shit retard. Read the post, I'm asking if one did, and the company found out, what would be the consequences, if any.

Here's a real answer I've used myself.

Copy and paste them through remote desktop. Not even joking. Take your work laptop home with you, remote desktop into your personal computer, and just copy and paste the files you want through the remote desktop connection.

There is no software that I know of that would trace something like this, but someone smarter than me feel free to enlighten

Wouldn't they be able to see the remote connection? Doesn't RDC use a fairly uncommon port?

just take a bunch of screenshots

Get an Hex editor, copy the hexadecimal contents of the file and send them to your email in plain text or compressed.

Or you can create a virtual machine, share the folder the target file is with it and copy.

Open the file and dump the RAM. Done.

remote desktop is an extremely legitimate service to be using in a business environment.

That doesn't work around bitlocker.

How locked down is the physical machine?
If the disk isn't encrypted, you can just boot from a TAILS CD and copy it to a flash drive.
If it is, and you want to leave absolutely no trace, you're going to need to be a bit more creative.

If it's just a PDF, you could simply do a screen capture.
I'm not joking, if you take full res frame captures of your screen while each page of the PDF is up, there would literally be no way for them to know.
To do it 100% without arousing suspicion, connect a display splitter with an actual monitor to the main port, in case they log what screen you connect.
Just bring up the pages one at a time, and save them.

solid advice.