FreeVMS (OpenVMS clone) is looking for developers

FreeVMS (OpenVMS clone) is looking for developers. FreeVMS (VMS stands for "virtual memory system") is not just another Unix, is a real-time operating system with tight integration with the base system, DCL (DIGITAL Command Language), and also perfect for routers.

Developers are welcome!
Main page freevms.net/
Github mirror github.com/ztmr/FreeVMS

Other urls found in this thread:

systella.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/freevms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why would you want to do that? The only thing VMS had going for it was its stellar implementation at a time when other systems were lacking, but that was a long time ago and most other systems have caught up.

It is still an interesting system to explore, have you used a VMS before?

I've been trying it out a couple of times, and I have to say I don't quite see the attraction. I'm much more attracted to systems like Minix or Plan9 instead. I haven't used VMS extensively, but neither have I seen anything that would make me want to try it out more extensively.

The selling point is stability, the spartan interface may be guilty of unattractiveness but the less the more with these guys. Like making a web server.

>dir
>hir dir

Into the trash it goes.

Is there anywhere you can still find VMS applications that would make this operating system more than just a slightly different, under-developed way of running the same old boring GNU shitware ports?

Is it even binary-compatible with OpenVMS?

Ask for applications in the mailing list systella.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/freevms

Sounds good, I've been itching to get my hands on a copy of ALL-IN-1 forever among other applications. The hardware/software ecosystem as a whole interests me more than just the operating system.

WNT killed VMS in the 90s

I remember having to use vax/vms in college back in the 90's. I ran a quasi bbs off the schools network terminals. Pretty hilarious how even the Compsci professors didn't know how to use it.

I'm not aware of any significant operating system that doesn't support dir.

Sounds like a personal problem.
>they are all shit

wow, you got my attention.

I never heard of OpenVMS or FreeVMS before so I looked up OpenVMS. Originally from 1977?

Seriously, that OS has been around since the late 1970s? That's.. some serious OS

the real VMS is also currently maintained and can be licensed freely for hobbyist use
if only good VAX and Itanium systems weren't so fucking expensive

NT gutted the low end of every competitor in the '90s, but it wasn't really a 1:1 competition

Is not the same, FreeVMS is an alternative, and a better one. It just need some more developers.

Can I use it to shitpost?

You could see VMS as Windows NT's predecessor. Microsoft hired many of the VMS devs and had them basically rewrite Windows so it was damn near functionally identical to VMS (internally) but they kept the win32 layer on top to maintain compatibility with windows applications.

what is different and "better" about it then? what does it really offer if it doesn't intend to be similar to real VMS?

is it just another vaguely different way of running the same shitty old libre applications in lieu of an actual software base, as has been asked previously ITT?

it's just really hard to get excited about these new "alternative platforms" anymore when the actual practical differences are pretty much imperceptible for real world use

I think the general idea is having tight base system. As proof of concept sounds good.

In what way is OpenVMS "open"?

It isn't, there you have a reason for having FreeVMS.

that's cool I guess but just not very exciting, are there really any ambitions beyond just GPL VMS? it sounds like it would have a good niche in legacy VAX/Alpha/Itanium iron where sourcing proper stacks to run on them would be total ass or regular OpenVMS just plain isn't a feasible option, I'd love something other than deprecated CentOS to run on my IBM itanic box

compliance with industry standards like POSIX apparently, renamed when it got ported to Alpha

>it sounds like it would have a good niche in legacy VAX/Alpha/Itanium iron
I've seen a couple guys talking about that on the mailing list, my guess was one of their main goals originally

godspeed then but I can't say I'm hopeful

I was lucky and found two Alphaservers for 1/10th of their average ebay price because the sellers thought they were regular computers.

>Strg+F logo
>0 results

Sup Forums?

someone gave me a really shitty first generation one once but it was fucked with a machine check so I ended up parting it out

some day I want to pick up a DS10 if I ever end up coming across one cheap enough

I'm interested, but I've never collaborated on a software project or written any low level stuff.

>The selling point is stability
But that then goes back to . And there is particularly no reason to assume that an independent rewrite of the original system would inherit its fine implementation. If anything, the opposite is more likely.

In that case, one would think that Unix and its clones would grab your attention even more, since it's from 1969 originally.

Better hack on Linux instead. It's got virtual memory too.

You can present it to your colleagues or help with documentation

I think they use the kernel but adapt it to work for this project

Is this like Qubes?

Completely different, FreeVMS is used for servers with a low footprint and endurance, Qubes is thought for desktop and application isolation

They're porting it to x86 using llvm as we speak