/hpg/ - Headphone General - Non-Troll Edition

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

hijiribe.donmai.us/posts/2327269
youtube.com/watch?v=RwPz-gZNgU8
youtube.com/watch?v=spcCAeowHjw
youtube.com/watch?v=s0iU0-F4Tw4&
youtube.com/watch?v=cgM-hO5sXz4
youtu.be/Q1aQgXkGo5M?list=PLd5GjYruxhXNOv6fgMjxG2og8jlS1uWxv&t=88
youtube.com/watch?v=M55VY5ZbJLk
youtube.com/watch?v=2Gpl99s02Aw
youtube.com/watch?v=7wp0NR1Dc3o&feature=youtu.be
theverge.com/2017/5/19/15666082/apple-headphones-fire-flight-explosion-beats-battery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're late.

kys, TrustyFucker.

Where my bros at? Post it!

Schiit stack (Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber) with Sennheiser HD600.

Pretty happy with my setup. Good at everything, Excellent at metal and female vocals.

>Uber
What are the differences from the normal modi 2 and magni 2?

>Schiit stack (Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber) with Sennheiser HD600.
That's pretty much a GOAT setup.

Dumb animu poster

Stop replying to yourself, shill.

How is goat having no bass at all?

>modi 2 uber
Powered by wallwart instead of usb
3 inputs: USB (like non-uber), spdif optical and coax. (I use all of them, which is why I got it).
Metallic cover looks different
>magni 2 uber
Aux output for speakers (that's why I got it, with LSR305 in mind)
Some more power
"complementary VAS drive"
Metallic cover looks different

What pad replacements should i get for audio technica m40x?

Auray Sheepskin pads

Could I use a modi uber and SPDIF out from a TV to use powered monitors?
Is there a cheaper solution?

Bump.

The only reason I come to these shitty ass threads is to get pictures of anime girls wearing headphones

(you)

Good evening, user.
Went with the same as for my V6, works well, more isolation and much more durable than the stock pads, they are a bit shallow though.

I'm looking for an iem that can go into my ears.

My left ear is normal, but my right ear is small and not formed well so there's nothing to support an iem weight

I could use an iem that just STABS into the early canal with extremity plastic thin

>pic
Good taste

Yes you could. You'd get no volume regulation from the modi, though. It only has an input switch, no volume knobs.

Cheaper solution -> use analog line outs from the tv itself. TVs typically have these things.

> Lose hearing in one ear
> Go to my otorhinolaryngologist
> Took a look at it
> Said it was a swelling in my throat that extended to my ears
> Got some medication for a month and told I should be fine in a couple weeks
> Two weeks pass
> Hearing loss got worse
> There's a constant ringing now
> Not feeling any better
I'm fucking ready to die lads
Anyone wants to buy some cheap headphones?

I've had constant tinnitus in both ears for most of my life

Don't let it beat you, enjoy your music

The issue is that it comes with a fucking severe hearing loss.
I'm afraid of going to my doctor again because I fear it might be permanent.
I'll probably hang myself if it is.

I'd suggest another visit to the doctor.

You may as well go back even if there's just a slight chance to it treated properly

Otherwise you'll live the rest of your life wondering if there was a chance

Too lazy to update the album list.

Etymotic

Did you see the doctor again?

what are the current 'shut up and take my money' open headphones?

HD600.

THE IMAGING IS SO FUCKING GOOD

arent those headphones like 2000 euros ?
wtf ?

Sauce on waifu?

hijiribe.donmai.us/posts/2327269

>hijiribe.donmai.us/posts/2327269
tak

youtube.com/watch?v=RwPz-gZNgU8

I picked up Fiio E10K yesterday and enjoy it very much! Thanks /hpg/.

My next item on the list is HD600 to replace my old Samsung set.

HD 598 or HD 579?

Currently using an HD 239

No they are not and what if they were? I'm not the only one who has or had these here. Pretty nice set as long as you equalize.

I have two laptops with a similar problem. Too lazy to make a cable for testing and boot up RMAA.

Same user that linked video above.

This is why I just use a fulla2. Computer outputs tend to be more shitty than not, and I'd rather just have something that works and that I can plug everywhere.

Which is why I use my mobile phone or an interface to plug my headphones in. No worries of poor gear. It's a shame, especially when many computers have a good codec but somehow they mess up the output. My newer laptop has a problem with noise and interference, too. It's unbearable with sensitive in-ears.

Yes, my phone (OnePlus3) does also sound good.

None of my computers do, they're all flawed one way or another. This isn't limited to onboard audio, but includes my creative soundcards (xfi titanium and xfi titaniumhd, the super premium audiophile nonsense). Appalling.

So I just use the schiit (fulla2 all over the place, uber stack at home).

whatever's cheaper

Oppo PM-3 or Audeze Sine or Shure SRH1540?

Which has the most neutral and open sound?

>Budget
About 150 USD.

>Location
US and A.

>Source
Cellphone.

>Type of headphone
In-Ear.

>Comfort level
REALLY comfortable.

>Sound signature
Neutral / V-shaped.

>Past headphones
Shure SE215, Philips Fidelio X2, NAD VISO HP-50, ATH-M50

I want something to replace my SE215s. I don't find it all that comfortable. I probably want something with a straight down fit, I don't really like having to run the wire over my ears.

ok guys is the HD 558 + Fulla 2 a good combo ?

or should i spend more for the HD 650 used ?

I'm looking for punchy bass and neutral sound with big soundstage for gaming and music

Just get HD600.

Yes, I know you're thinking "but muh bass, muh soundstage". Sure. Go read/watch a few reviews of HD600 vs HD650, then you'll understand and just get the HD600.

As for the fulla2, it's a nice device, but you should be spending your money in headphones, as they have the most effect. You can always get a fulla2 later, if you feel you really need it.

>buy hd650 and schitt stack
>hd650 arrives first, decide to plug into phone (LG V20)for shits and giggles
>expect it to be quiet as fuck without any external amp
>wtf it sounds perfect
>find out that the LG V20 can power headphones with up to 600 ohms of impedance
>not only that but it detects what the impedance of the headphones that are plugged in are and delivers the appropriate amount of voltage by itself

I was not expecting this. Are there a lot of phones that can do this? Is the LG V20 the audiophiles choice of smartphones?

>schitt stack
You got meme'd hard, kiddo.

>find out that the LG V20 can power headphones with up to 600 ohms of impedance
There's no such upper limit. Limitation in volume is dependent on sensitivity and sensitivity is not given by impedance.
>not only that but it detects what the impedance of the headphones that are plugged in are and delivers the appropriate amount of voltage by itself
I hope you can turn that off because like I said, impedance does not tell you how much voltage you need.
>Are there a lot of phones that can do this?
Never heard of one. I've had a Sony smartphone which tried to do some sort of headphone specific optimizations but it was all too vague to tell what it tried to do. I left it off.
>Is the LG V20 the audiophiles choice of smartphones?
It's one of the best for sure. 2 Vrms output level is respectable for a smartphone and I doubt it has any major shortcomings in other areas.

I just said 600 because that's what the phone said

>Are there a lot of phones that can do this?
Yes.
>Did I really need the schiit stack?
Try your computer and you'll see if it's any better/worse than the phone. It'll probably be worse.
And of course try the stack when it arrives ;)

Yep but I wanted to make it clear that what the phone says there is really just nonsense. There isn't such relationship between impedance, loudness or sound quality(I see the "dynamic range").

>this
To clarify, by this I meant "drive high impedance headphones". And yes, they can. A lot of them can.

My HD600 sound well with OnePlus3.

As for audio postprocessing/eq shit, I absolutely turn it off, always.

Who here gets comfy with binaural videos?

youtube.com/watch?v=spcCAeowHjw
youtube.com/watch?v=s0iU0-F4Tw4&
youtube.com/watch?v=cgM-hO5sXz4

HD600 owners like me.
I like them idols speaking softly to my ears.
youtu.be/Q1aQgXkGo5M?list=PLd5GjYruxhXNOv6fgMjxG2og8jlS1uWxv&t=88

Why is there such a disconnect between how amps, speakers and ohms work with regular speakers and how the headphone community talks about it?

Amps don't output any ohms in fact it won't output anything until a speaker is connected and completes the circuit. The resistance the speaker puts on that circuit is measured
In ohms. The 'xxxW @ xx ohms' is just the measurement the engineers say the amp will output under a specific resistance and the 'xx ohms max' is just what the engineers say the least amount of resistance the amp will safely operate at.

For example
Let's say you have a amp that will output 100 watts at a 4 ohm load.
If you hook up a 2 ohm speaker the amp will output 400 watts and if you hook up a 8 ohm speaker the amp will output 25 watts.

I'm just not sure why impedance matching is such a big deal with headphone users

>Budget
Less than $500, but flexible
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Need to feel comfortable for hours
>Sound signature
No preference
>Past headphones
Shitty gaymur headsets

No Headsets, I want to buy a standalone mic too.

Yes but don't speakers have different resistance depending on the frequency?

>no soundstage
Why even bother with binaural stuff.

thats just not a very good example
youtube.com/watch?v=M55VY5ZbJLk

You seem confused about what an output impedance is. You can see it as a resistance at the output of the amp, in series with the load.

Speaker amplifier (except some esoteric or obsolete stuff) always have negligible, near-zero ohm output impedance. That's why nobody talks about it.

Headphone amps often have a non-zero output impedance. Quite often it's not negligible at all compared to the load (headphone) impedance. In this case, as the load impedance varies depending on the frequency, the resulting frequency voltage will also vary. Typically you'd get an unwanted mid-bass bump.

In both cases you should look for an amp with a low output impedance compared to the load impedance. That's all there is to it.

Btw 100watts into 4ohms would mean 200watts into 2ohms and 50watts into 8ohms with a perfect amp.

HD600s have no soundstage. Ottmar lieberts stuff sounds amazing and spacious on other headphones but closed in on the HD600.

I like those phones. They fit me well. My roommate has them.

>HD600s have no soundstage.
>meming that hard

youtube.com/watch?v=2Gpl99s02Aw

that was fucking awesome. thanks for sharing.

I'll add this one... not as exciting but it's my favorite style of music.

youtube.com/watch?v=7wp0NR1Dc3o&feature=youtu.be

>HD600s have no soundstage
kill yourself for being retarded

How are this things compared tot he DT 770 comfy-wise?

they look like a fucking clone

I need a second pair of headphones for light use and I don't feel like buying a second 770 pair

The DT770 is already a fucking awful headphone, why would you want a chinese copy that's bound to be at least four times worse....?

>cant accept his shitty mud phones have no sound stage
*snap*

go back to that other thread, troll. just get some meds or kill yourself already.

Do they hiss like Beyerhiss?

Your mom died giving birth to you and no one loved you in your entire life?

Oh, I forgot this was the snapheiser kiddie safe space playpen.

When are they going to make a clone of the venerable HD600?

I doubt you have any idea of what soundstage is or what binaural is or how headphones alter or don't alter these.

You're a fucktard who doesn't own anything other than HD600s, most likely.

Good post.

So it seems the Headphone world has it's own Galaxy Note 7.
theverge.com/2017/5/19/15666082/apple-headphones-fire-flight-explosion-beats-battery

give me an album to listen to

I only tell the truth.

drukqs

Opinion of MSR7's?

Soundstage is a kind of coloring that will make everything sound far away.
It obviously doesn't play well neither with gaming nor with binaural recordings.

>Soundstage is a kind of coloring that will make everything sound far away.
Source on that?

pls I just want to know if I should buy these they look nice

>Soundstage is a kind of coloring that will make everything sound far away.
Then the HD600 are colored to make everything sound closer. Whatever definition you want to use, dumbfuck.

but the dynamic range

>HD600
>Colored
user...

>anything
>uncolored
retard

What about it?

>anything
>uncolored
Sure, but try naming a fullsized headphone more neutral than HD600.

It has small soundstage. Just admit it, dumbfuck.

>Then the HD600 are colored to make everything sound closer.
If the recording says it's far, it's far.
If the recording says it's close, it's close.
HD600 has a quite correct soundstage, the same way it is quite correct at everything else. I'll take that rather than a choice of flaws.

Seeing how most "wide stage" headphones are mid-centric/bright with lighter bass i'm inclined to believe the sensation of deeper space depends on the bass not masking sutble things like reverbs, that would explain why HD600 soundstage seems so narrow and K702/HD800/AD700/AD900 etc so large, DT880 doesn't have as much stage as these either and has plently more bass, although it does seem to have more than the HD600, so it might be that having more treble than bass is the actual trick... Just assuptions here though, it would be nice to find a reputable source or at least to actually test all this...

it's pretty unnecessarily low. Production got worse after OKC

>the same way it is quite correct at everything else
>different from the studio equipment which most likelly didn't match Harman curve
Your neutral is neutral alright, just not the neutral heard in studio.

Why are you worrying about that? It's a great album.

it is not up to its full potential and it makes me upset. You can literally get better sound watching live sets