/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Nokia 9 Flagship Finally Spotted in Leaked Hands-on Photos? Arriving with 5.3” QHD Screen, Snapdragon 835, Dual Rear Cam
gizmochina.com/2017/05/21/nokia-9-flagship-finally-spotted-leaked-hands-photos-arriving-5-3-qhd-screen-snapdragon-835-dual-rear-cam/

Huawei Honor 9 Gets Network License, 3.5mm Jack Not Cancelled
gizmochina.com/2017/05/20/huawei-honor-9-network-license-3-5mm-jack-cancelled/

Huawei nova 2 to be announced on May 26
gsmarena.com/huawei_nova_2_to_be_announced_on_may_26-news-24954.php

OnePlus 5 Already on GearBest - Totally Monstrous Specs & Design!
xiaomitoday.com/oneplus-5-already-gearbest/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Sony-Xperia-XZ-F8331-32GB-Unlocked-GSM-4G-LTE-Quad-Core-23MP-SmartPhone-/201855508732?var=&hash=item2eff86a0fc:m:mBp9U34u3WOxkrLlsaY1oWA
swappa.com/buy/lg-v20
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/21/15381842/huawei-p10-slow-flash-storage-issue
gsmarena.com/samsung_g9298_flip_phone_gets_certified_by_the_fcc_and_wifi_alliance-news-25152.php
yotaphone.com/ru-ru/
gsmarena.com/results.php3?sFreeText=Stylus&sMakers=20
sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/calendar/presen/irday/irday2017/MC_E.pdf).
gsmarena.com/specs_for_sony_xperia_xz1_xz1_compact_and_x1_leak-news-25138.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what do if my yotaphone has a bug or something where the front screen won't come on

has anyone else had theirs do this?

Anyone?

you can import them from android firefox to firefox on the PC and then export them to chrome.

opinions on the p9?
i'm close to pulling the trigger

whats the best tmobile phone thats not a samsung?

seems expensive for chinkshit, its in the price range of the op3t which makes it even less attractive

iphone 7
pixel

Is there currently any way to block ads within apps on Nougat?

Back on Marshmallow,
>AdAway for web browsing + MinMinGuard for apps
did the trick. Unfortunately, Marshmallow doesn't support Xposed for MinMinGuard

How's the keyone?

Asked in the last thread but no one answered, thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi Note 2?

i thought pixel was verizon only or something

Only Verizon carries it in store. You can buy an unlocked Pixel from Google directly.

My dumb ass managed to break my phone today. First time ever breaking a mobile device. Was my tried and true LG V10. I have a much lower spec LG phone for backup, but was wondering how long I should use it. With Samsung Note 8 launch being talked about for August or September, should I just wait? Do you guys think the note 8 is some worth waiting for? Or should I just get the V20?

Pic related. My reaction when I saw my V10 turn off for the final time, never to greet me with it's boot up splash screens ever again.

best spg coming through.

Pretty close to jumping on the ZTE Axon 7 ship. Any opinions?

I'm getting rid of my iPhone 6 and I just bought a RedMi Note 4 with the MediaTek X20, how fucked am I?

Question. How important are screen protectors? I've had this thing all of four days now and one of my doofus coworkers was on my ass today telling me I NEED to have one.

I read some will alter the touch-screen's performance, so is it worth having one and what kind?

I'd say pretty important. Screen protectors have saved a few of my phones when I dropped them, lay them on their screens, push my phones into my pocket against a pocket knife, or just other general daily things I no longer have to worry about.

As far as I've experienced. Only one device in my entire lifetime was really noticeably different with a screen protector so generally I don't think they really change much in terms of performance.

I would. I got a glass screen protector for my V10 and the difference between the actual screen and the protector is night and day. You really don't realize just how much stuff your hand grinds into the screen. Plus they're like $5. Really no reason not to. If you hate it, take it off and you're out some pocket change.

Got this protective case for my Galaxy Amp Prime from a Salvation Army for $1.00 and it fits perfectly. Did I do good, /spg/?

So as part of eBay's deals for the week they have the Xperia XZ brand new for $340.

ebay.com/itm/Sony-Xperia-XZ-F8331-32GB-Unlocked-GSM-4G-LTE-Quad-Core-23MP-SmartPhone-/201855508732?var=&hash=item2eff86a0fc:m:mBp9U34u3WOxkrLlsaY1oWA

Do you guys think it's worth it?

Sorry to hear that user. The v20 is going for pretty cheap if you don't mind buying used.

swappa.com/buy/lg-v20

Might check eBay too

Nah it's pretty great. The non backlit buttons can be annoying tho

Bought the g5 plus finally. Love the fingerprint scanner and how it is used as a nav bar.

The most common complaint I think is the screen not being so bright. Seems to fully deliver on every other front, as far as being an Android phone with a physical keyboard and Blackberry features. MKBHD said he wishes that the keyboard was bigger/keys not so close together--something to consider if you have big hands, I guess. I don't know how soon American stores will have display models to hold in person.

Should've gone for Global Snapdragon 625 version.

Heya,

Question here : I'd like to buy a smartphone in which I could install a botnet free android distro (I don't know shit about it), supporting U900/2100 L800/1800/2600, with a good camera and allowing to store apps data in SD card.

I bought a Meizu M3S back in the days I didn't know shit and now I'm fucked cause it took me month to install the international version of it and now that crap doesn't even allow to copy apps data on SD card, and of course my hard drive is small.

Any ideas, plz? Am I asking for something that exist? Do you have any links on how to install a botnet free distro on a smartphone btw?

Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if there is a noticeable difference between 4GB and 6GB of RAM on the S8+ or any other phone for that matter. Has anyone noticed anything in that regard?

Is there any phone with a stylus like the Note but not a samsung shit?

Anyone own a Huawei p10? How's the battery life and general feel of it? Is it worth the cash? Any other pro/cons with it?

Asking because I live in a shittown with ½ store.

My phone just died on me and I want to get a new highend phone within 2 weeks what do you guys suggest?

Would you recommend buying an S7 at this point?

What does /spg/ think about older flagships in general?

That's really good. Kinda regret not waiting for one in that case, bought the z5p a month ago since I wasn't sure on the bezels on the xz

I need help /spg/

I need a phone to use in shitty, dirty, moist 3rd world countries, so it needs to be:
>not shit
>well-built
>shockproof
>at least reliably splashproof
>no more than 5"
>large, REMOVABLE battery, possibly hypothetical power switch that actually turns it the fuck off
>dual sim and micro sd, I can deal with a combined sim/sd slot
>micro usb tybe B charging

Bonus points for dedicated camera button. So far, I'm only finding some Xperas to be fitting, but removable battery is a must.

Xperia xz premium or s8

huawei Nova 2 will have dual cameras and SD660 on May 26.

Any chance it'll retail for less than $190?

The 1st Nova is selling for $180.

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/21/15381842/huawei-p10-slow-flash-storage-issue

Don't trust chinks

S7 is still way better than most phones, but if you can afford it S8 is better.

just got a a5. how do I root and add xposed?

Why aren't there any 4:3 aspect ratio phones?
Nobody unironically watches videos on their phone (no snapchat or instagram videos are not real videos or movies)

4:3 would give a superior mobile experience for text content

AGM A8

>IP68 water, dust, shock and temperature-resistant
>5" display
>removable 4050mah battery
>two SIM slots and a microSD slot

Because 16:9 is a more pocketable format. It's easier/more comfortable to have a long and narrow phone in your pocket than a short and wide one.

Thanks user. I also saw the Pixel XL and Oneplus 3T being mentioned alot...are those worth looking into still?

Is it possible to have my gmail account in the Gmail app be separate from the Youtube app?

I want my business email in the mail app and my junk email in the Gmail app

>nobody unironically watches videos on their phones
well you're wrong about that

>

See how the Jewsung on the right has a larger screen with more screen real estate ?
It is roughly equal in width and a little taller, making for more lines of text in text-based content.

There was a guy some days or weeks ago who wanted a modern smart flipphone.
gsmarena.com/samsung_g9298_flip_phone_gets_certified_by_the_fcc_and_wifi_alliance-news-25152.php

Woah It seems like there is gonna be a Yotaphone 3 at the end!
yotaphone.com/ru-ru/

The russian text says:
"See you soon"
"Pre-orders starting this summer"

Literally any android phone with custom ROMs can be made botnet-free by simply not installing gapps

Nobody can help? plz?

What kind of custom ROM? I'm new to this. I only know Replicant but it looks like shit.

Literally unoticeable, it's just a marketing gimmick

400*300 = 1200
16*9 = 144

LG does some phones with styluses
gsmarena.com/results.php3?sFreeText=Stylus&sMakers=20

4*3 = 12
1600*900 = 1440000

Lineage is most popular. Go to XDA.

Can most unencrypted Android devices be easily compromised by just flashing TWRP, which gives you full access to the file system? I know many devices require bootloader unlock to do any tinkering with them but e.g. TWRP can just be flashed on an old GS4 with Odin, right? There's no other security measure? I'm asking because I'm looking for an old used flagship phone, all I need is WhatsCancer and navigation but encrypting those old non-64bit/AES-enabled devices is not viable since performance tanks massively but I also can't risk getting my dickpics easily exposed.

Wat? You can switch users in the yt app but not sure if that's what you meant.

Is Moto z play worth? I'm getting it for me mum

>dickpics
You wouldn't care this much if it was just dick pics. Stop storing illegal stuff on your phone.

Can your mum handle 5.5 inches?

when I log into my junk mail in the Youtube app it appears in the gmail app as an option which I don't want

>people who want privacy, security, and anonymity are criminals

You are the cancer that is killing Sup Forums.

Isn't it a bit hard to survive without Google Play Store on Android?

I was just memeing with the 'dickpics' there to fit in. I'm actually just super self-conscious and couldn't handle imagining Jamal mocking me and laughing with Tyrone about my photos when he inevitably steals it from me.

F-Droid and downloading the APKs works. If you really want the Google Play apps then get Yalp Store.

What's the best file manager for Android?

fx

Asus File Manager is non-ironically really good

Sony Mobile Communications has commented at this years Investors Day their plans for FY2017 and beyond (sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/calendar/presen/irday/irday2017/MC_E.pdf). The most important points for the inmediate future are:

>Discontinuation of a mid-price range; no more "Premium Standard" phones (X, X Compact), focus on "Flagship" ones.
>Two new "Flagships" devices for this year, probably to be announced around IFA.
>One of those devices at the same price range as XZs (XZ Compact?), the other slightly cheaper but still more expensive than the X.

I just want a new top-of-the-line compact model from them. Come on.

gsmarena.com/specs_for_sony_xperia_xz1_xz1_compact_and_x1_leak-news-25138.php

Why do a lot of flagship phones have glass bodies these days?

Nice. A compact model with 720p screen and a 835 should be a speed monster while keeping good battery life.

Any other brand announced a mini model with the 835 yet?

So after 2.5 years the battery in my sony z3 compact is completely dead. Was only lasting for 3 hours from full charge on standby and now won't boot. Apparently it's a common problem that also affects the z5 and z5 compact.

Any recommendations for an equally good phone under 5"?

Does anyone know a clock widget where
>both time and date can be displayed
>hitting time sends to clock app
>hitting date sends to calendar app
?

iPhone SE
Xperia X Compact
Galaxy A3 2017

Or wait for this

Which phones out now have the absolute best camera around? Is it just pixel and the s8 only?

P9 / P10 does good if you're shooting in raw like you should unless you're uncle kenny.
Phone cameras will ALWAYS compromise on quality, specially in low light. If you really want good picture quality (that's pocketable) you should get a Sony RX100 or panasonic 1" sensor compact anyway.

According to DXOmark
1. HTC U11
2. Google Pixel
3. galaxy S8

Thanks a lot.

Because the movie industry drives this shit, not logic, not needs, not anything.

>still no 98% usable surface with a little rear screen to use with videocalls, selfies and normal front camera use with a 6,2" and 5,5" variants

why life

What is best smartphone under 300 if I want a brand that releases phones in us.

Currently using a iphone 6 plus which I am not a fan of but got for free. Battery life sucks.

I use at&t BTW.

Also how is LG G5 I keep seeing deals on it.

So my samsung core plus became shit, the battery drains in one day despite me not using the phone at all all day exept the evening for reading, it became slow and sluggish with common stutters during use and yesterday it became so hot I could've used it for boiling water

>Italy
>150, max 200€ if it's really worth it
>good battery life
>good wifi reception
>something that doesn't shit itself while loading an internet page
>a nice screen if possible

I don't give a fuck about cameras and speakers. Nothing too big because I have small hands but I can adapt I'm going to use pic realted anyway

Redmi Note 4 Global

Looking at the P10 too. Nice little phone. Although OP5 is now looking pretty good too.

I think you can do it yourself with KWLP.

used iphone 5s

>"nothing too big"
>recommends 5.5' literal shovel

Redmi 4 prime (post january 11)
only less wide 5" phones than it are google pixel, sharp Aquos and Xperia XA
Might end up slightly above 200€ with shipping from a reputable store like Giztop or Ibuygou though.

>current phone:
Samsung Galaxy s5 bought secondhand. I have verizon, live in the US, and don't mind a little older (usually get a couple year old phones secondhand). My basic wants are: quick charging and decent size, not xbawkzhueg. Bonus: physical keyboard, especially portrait layout. Budget - open but again, I prefer cheap and have very basic needs. Every damn quick charging phone I've seen is on other networks other than the pixel.

The G5 might not look great but it's snappy, the camera is good and LG isn't that bad at updates. For 300 it's a steal

Think battery would last longer than my iPhone?

How is screen?

The battery is ok, it charges real fast tho
Also the screen is nice, not as nice as an AMOLED, but still very good

Thoughts on an HTC 10? Last HTC I had was a Legend.

ah shit
well even if this is legit it's the p10 and not the p9

Just got a price matched Moto g5 plus from bestbuy, this is literally the most expensive phone I've ever owned(kinda nervous about it breaking)
Coming from a Moto e 2nd gen, and the build quality is like night and day, my only complaint is it's a bit too light, but I ordered a case, and a glass screen protector so it should give it a bit more girth, and heft.

Also despite having huge gorilla hands I have to get used to the much larger screen, good thing it has the one handed use feature.

On another note do you guys this phone will be usable while still maintaining good performance and battery life for the next 4 years? I have the 4gb ram version btw