Srs question: so every device has a mac address, right...

srs question: so every device has a mac address, right? how do manufacturers know about other manufacturers mac addresses? How many possible mac addresses are there? is it possible how ever slim to get two devices with the same mac address? what do when we run out?

Im feeling a bit sleep deprived while trying to study, I hope yall get what im getting at

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2017/03/10/mac_address_randomization/
mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2010-April/020639.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

another srs question: whys there a "%" in my local-link ipv6 address

The first 3 octets are the organisational unique identifier. Unique to each organisation or even subsets of their hardware

>is it possible how ever slim to get two devices with the same mac address?
yeah if you assign them manually, like in a router

come on Sup Forumsuys, i get the impression that this is a dumb question and even though this is certainly a slow board at least one of you can answer my question. Hell one dude responded on Sup Forums but im unsatisfied with that

gif related, mfw i take a 5hr energy and plunge back into studying

Why does everyone always make fun of Apple products when they've made something as important as Mac addresses?

Without them our internet wouldn't work.

sploop, silly me should have refreshed before i started Sup Forumsitching thanks guys

>how do manufacturers know about other manufacturers mac addresses?
Yes. Each manufacturer is allocated a "block" of addresses that they should number their shit from.
>How many possible mac addresses are there?
2^48
>is it possible how ever slim to get two devices with the same mac address?
You can easily set this up on purpose, since mac addresses are easily spoofable.
>what do when we run out?
Nothing important really happens. MAC addresses only really mean shit on a local network, and 2^48 is fucking plenty.

Well meme'd good sir

mac addresses only matter within the same network

you can assign a mac address? i thought that shit was unchangeable

In some cases there are devices with the same mac address. It doesn't really matter unlees they end up on the same network, which is pretty unlikely.

>Nothing important really happens. MAC addresses only really mean shit on a local network, and 2^48 is fucking plenty.
thanks guys thats the answer i didnt realize i was looking for good job guys

want to talk about gundam

yup

fun fact, if you have a wireless router hooked to your cable modem and you log in and change the mac address then unplug your modem and plug it back in again it forces your ISP to give you a new IP address

your IP goes by the MAC of the first device connected to the modem

ps this is how you evade IP bans on Sup Forums, and any other site you need to

neat, but what purpose can this serve? hiding your identity? or location? or both?

Anyone remember these?

hell no the fudge is that?

Yup. Too gimmicky for me though.

see

sure

Fun fact: iPhones even use randomized MAC addresses to scan for Wi-Fi networks and circumvent tracking (Android has that too, but virtually no device implements it). Because of the specifics of Wi-Fi chips and a new identifier they attached to WLAN frames in iOS 10, that's far from staying anonymous, though.
theregister.co.uk/2017/03/10/mac_address_randomization/

Devices shipping with identical MAC addresses are nothing new. You do get into trouble in enterprise if you purchase a batch of them and deploy them to the same network.
mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2010-April/020639.html
In the same thread a former 3COM employee even admitted to recycling ranges of MAC addresses because it was easier than applying for more.

A link-local IPv6 address is only valid by definition on a specific network, and might be reused in different ones. That's why they're appending the network adapter separated by a percent sign (it's usually the interface name on unices, and a counting number on Windows as printed by "route print").
If you want proper IPv6 addresses without a globally routable network (i.e. your ISP supporting IPv6), you can use ULAs (unique local addresses) instead, which are the equivalent of private IPv4 addresses.