/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewing For NOMOS fans:
youtube.com/watch?v=K0zzqfywVtg

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

monkeyswag.com/straps/mks-nato
youtube.com/watch?v=O9nm1HfU2Y8
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/5gkuev/tag_heuer_first_high_end_luxury_watch/#bottom-comments
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first

I'm unironically starting to believe transistorized balance wheel is superior to mechanical in all but seconds hand sweep.

this is not ok

oh what do we have here

srsly tho

pls stop

Okay, now you're just being a fag.

What do you mean? I thought the cosmotrons were 36,000 bph

They are, but the way these work the beat rate of the hands is always halved compared to the balance. So the hi-beat Cosmotrons will have the second hand move like on a vintage low-end shitter, at 18000bph.

Do the seiko elnix movements work the same way? That seems like a very odd engineering choice.

do you guys like citizens ecodrives

Something about electronic circuitry inside a solid steel case seems incredibly off to me.

Like transporting five lego blocks using a dump truck.

do you like diesel cars?
eco-drive is just their name for solar-powered watches. there are thousands of models.

This is just really not ok. There's no real point for most people to have a watch in the first place. The fact that mechanical watches are intricate interesting objects is really my only excuse at this point. There is no reason for that fucking thing. Its not aesthetic and you are polluting this thread with your garbage

After more than a month of having my watch, Steinhart has finally emailed me. They said they can pop my movement into a new case for 80 euro.

you're mangled finger user? damn

>There's no real point for most people to have a watch in the first place

Yeah you know other than the fact that they're infinitely more convenient than anything else for telling time.

You know it, my brother.

I wear a watch; I said "no real reason" which is true you do not need a watch and do not need to wear one... most people check their very accurate cellphones. Cars ovens computers phones cable boxes game systems etc all have clocks built in.

Why these dog ugly lenses when you instead can make larger digits? Does it somehow appeal to a basic instinct in the Rolex buyers?

I don't get it either. It's really stupid and looks terrible.

The one thing about Rolex that always bothered me

Yes.

What happened?
I'm new

He played shitter games, and won shitter prizes.

Bracelet > strap

A booboo.

>sleeve under watch

Ah I see you're right, I'm a filthy lefty so it looked the other way around. Still not ok.

It's a glove not a sleeve.

>wearing gloves indoors

Try taking macro photos while moving the watch. You either spend more time cleaning the watch, or wear gloves.

>I'm a filthy lefty
the left wrist is the best wrist, comrade

Keep forgetting the pic.

Got this for my birthday

What watch fits that movement?

Do they hate you?

You had one job OP

Oh my god post those pictures again. I havent seen a gore thread in a long while

what straps are those?

How?
What?

god

I dislike Rolex but I'll be damned if the platinum Day-Date 40 isn't a gorgeous thing.

I was trying to pop the bezel off with a butter knife. Slipped and sliced my finger.

monkeyswag.com/straps/mks-nato

youtube.com/watch?v=O9nm1HfU2Y8

cheers

Sometimes.

>

what's a decent beater around $150?

tired of trying to not smash my wrist into stuff

Casio

mako II

Should I buy a Puck or a Seaforth.

Both come out to $900 after conversion

you can get a snk809 a nice sapphire from orion watches and an nh35 for under 150

>Puck
80 dollar watch movement plus a basic diver case for 675+ dollars.... fuck that

Derby Swissonic.

You have terminal autism. Also you're fucking ignorant.

I believe most if not all transistorized balance wheel watches are like that. The reason being the power flow is reversed compared to a mechanical. On a mechanical power from the mainspring flows through the gear train to the balance wheel. On an electronic the coil drives the balance wheel directly and the balance wheel drives the gear train with a modified pallet fork, so it takes a complete oscillation for the geartrain to step once.

Are Hamilton automatics Sup Forums approved?

Get the Seaforth and then a Seiko SKX.

>when you instead can make larger digits
Not as long as 31 day long months exist.

>Hey look mumsie, it's that watch user won't shut up about. The "Bulova Accutron". We should get him one for his birthday since he loves them so much!
You dun goofed not hiding your power level.

I'm thinking Gilt dial with sapphire bezel

No.

>Seaforth
they both have sub 100 dollar movements

Watch noob here please red pill me why

I need some help /g. Am buying a watch for someone's birthday with a £300 budget. Needs to have a metal bracelet and will most likely be used for casual use though my friend is a faggot and would rather it look good than actually give a shit about the movement. Any recommendations? Extra points for it being a somewhat recognisable manufacturer.

SEIKO G757

Good luck finding one that isn't shit in that budget

I'm going to Japan in a few months, but I'm a college student and i can't justify a watch for myself right now more than $200. Any pointers on what JDM watch I could get?

I'm absolutely in love with this 18 carat, rose gold TAG Heuer Carrera watch purchased from the beautiful city of Perth. Made with sapphire infused glass that only diamond can scratch, I've spoiled myself with this gorgeous timepiece. The calibre 16 movement has been crowned as the most successful automatic chronograph movement ever produced, completely handmade by man. It is also my very first day date watch and it will be interesting to see if it becomes an important feature that Will depend on over time. I hope you all enjoy this watch as much as I do.

nice try, this was a reddit post about half a year ago, though I think the text was different

nope, apparently this is the original text

reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/5gkuev/tag_heuer_first_high_end_luxury_watch/#bottom-comments

Not sure if that was a good idea, feels too expensive and nice for my everyday use... but damn it's fine.

you can feel this guy was really butthurt, sad to see retards buy expensive stuff without doing the research. For that price he could have picked up some nice used watches

They're easy to fix.

they're fine yes

what are you timing?

How much is $6000 AUD? Can you buy a Rolex with that? If not why not fucking but a Rolex instead of a $6000 AUD fashion watch?

I doubt he was butthurt.

Dont drop it user. My niece dropped mine (not the same watch but a tissot chronograph) and it screwed up the watch.
The service center gave me a quote that costs half as much as the watch.

Nothing, didn't buy it for the chronograph. A phone app would be better anyway.

Look at that last sentence, he pretty much says: "validate my shitty unrehearsed purchase or fuck off", the fact that he calls a Valjoux 7750 a "calibre 16" movement, which "has been crowned as the most successful automatic chronograph movement ever produced" should give it away. It seems that all he knows about the watch came from the promotional booklet
>sapphire infused glass that only diamond can scratch
>completely handmade by man
>my very first day date watch

about 4500 USD, pretty sure he could get a used Explorer 2 for that price, or a Tudor or an Omega or a Sinn with the same movement for 1/4th of the price

Then why is the chronograph running?

Typical leddit retard:
>whinges about getting called out for calling something which isn't high end, "high end"
>admits a two sentences later that Tag is, in fact, not "really" high end

I swear every time I read it makes me a little bit more annoyed.
>Made with sapphire infused glass that only diamond can scratch
>The calibre 16 movement has been crowned as the most successful automatic chronograph movement ever produced
>completely handmade by man
and the crown jewel:
>I've spoiled myself with this gorgeous timepiece

I suppose you really would have to be a faggot to talk like this, online or off. This whole thing never fails.

it's a goldmine of fine keks, apparently actually being interested in watches more than for their perceived status or flashy looks is elitist trash

Just playing around with a new toy.

That rough, not sure how good the service is in my country for them. Manual mentions it's "protected against impacts", but who knows...

Got my first penisquartz

Jeez, are all vintage seiko owners fat?
Grats on the watch user.

>seems that all he knows about the watch came from the promotional booklet
Always remember /wt/:

The dumbass that typed that shit on leddit is the reason for the profusion of so many shitter brands, and is one of the contributing factors to their continued existence. This is a tier above the fashion watch buyer, who is basically just a general, garden variety normie. The kinds that buy gold tags are basic, garden variety faggots.

Thank fuck that the chinese have been forced to slow their buying splurge and it'll hopefully kill off a lot of bullshit. This leaves the above creatures feeding these brands but there's fewer of them than chinese. The shitter makers will be forced to evolve or die. Now is the crucial time.

One can hope.

>about 4500 USD, pretty sure he could get a used Explorer 2 for that price, or a Tudor or an Omega or a Sinn with the same movement for 1/4th of the price

Yeah there is a shitload of used Rolex models, Tudor chronographs, MOTFM, or even just Damasko, Sinn, other plebbit cheaper brands with a 7750 movement watch that he could get. How he could profess to be spending a significant amount of money for him (so much so that he doubts he could ever buy the "real" high end in his life) for not only a complete piece of dogshit, but paying full fucking ramming for it, is unfathomable. it's not even just a matter of buying shitters, but where were his fucking parents? Do they not give children ANY lessons on "diligence" anymore?

Fuck when I got into watches I spent literally months pouring over brands, service costs, value retention, collectability, horology, bang-per-buck, where and how to buy, etc. before I made a purchase.

dude, he just wanted to spoil himself with that gorgeous timepiece

Why is there a penis on the watch?

I bought a Starking off AliExpress for this exact purpose.

because it's the penisquartz

Is the user who works at the jewelry store who's website is jmechanix.com around?

Was about to send your boss an email about my Accutron but I can't find a contact email on the mobile site and I won't have access to my desktop until Friday.
I'd rather not wait until then care to post it here?

Go away BigMilk.