PS3 fat

I thought about getting a first gen PS3 with 4 USB ports and backwards compatability for PS1 and PS2. I heard that they are very prone to getting YLOD and have especially loud fan noise.

Is it possible to keep these things relatively cool with changing the thermal paste and thus the system staying alive? I don't really want to change the thermal adhesive under the IHS, that might be too risky.

Other urls found in this thread:

ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=58586
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do you actually think that changing the thermal paste will magically make it run cooler?

These things are from 2007. It's fucking dry under the cooler. Should be colder by a few degrees. But fuck the temps, it should primarily stay alive and run quiet.

I changed the thermal paste on mine, it made no difference. It didn't even have the YLOD yet, just an extremely loud fan during heavier games.

Plus you have to basically disassemble the whole thing to access the heatsink, it's not worth the hassle imo.

Was it loud like that since day one and does your system have enough space to "breathe"?

Why? PS1 and PS2 emulators are not that demanding.

take off top lid
replace shitty fan with a nice quiet one
take a new box to put it in to accommodate the new height

enjoy

well, it's cool to be able to play PS,PS2,PS3 games with just one console. And it really looks gorgeous.

Changing thermal paste helped mine. But honestly, cleaning out the dust/ventilation systems while doing so was probably what actually reduced temps.

I don't know, I bought it used. It had plenty of space around it though.

I now have a super slim and haven't had any problems with that one.

But is it still loud as fuck?

I had one
YLOD after 2 months

Yeah. Don't bother man.

Last year I went back to my country where I have(had) 2 PS3 60GB systems.

After modding, replacing thermal compound and getting it set up with the latest CFW etc.

..The system died from YLOD.

Repeat with system number 2;

...YLOD after 2 days of Demons souls.

Used a heat gun to "fix" it and set the fan to 70% manual (sounded like a fucking jet engine. No really, it sounded like a leaf blower in the living room)

Stayed alive long enough to finish TLoU and play a bit more of Demons Souls.

Take it from me. Just buy a Slim system (not super slim) and mod that instead.

drill holes in it and place large computer fans on them

look it up on youtube, lots of people have done this

The slim is the best model

and I thought it dies because of dried up thermal paste. You did only software mod, right?

Yeah they were old systems that had not been touched in years. Thus it was easy to softmod them with a usb drive.

The 60GB is both the best and worst system. It's so unreliable you should just get a Slim. If I get a chance to get a reasonably priced (and moddable) slim I'll grab it.

Damn, I wanted to buy it now because functionality-wise it's the best Ps3 model ever built. They are like 90$ now.

I know exactly how you feel but take it from me. It's not worth is unless you're gonna go full autism like this;

ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=58586

That PS3 is runs those consoles on native hardware, it's not emulation. Also PS2 emulation is shit.

The European model also uses ps2 software emulation. Only the NA and JP 1st gen models have the actual ps2 emotion engine chip in there.

Get a slim, PS2 games go on sale on the PS Store all the time and it can still play PS1 games. All PS3s are pretty loud btw.

Thanks Mr. Obvious.

>All PS3s are pretty loud btw.
My super slim is pretty quiet.

Maybe when watching Netflix. Try playing The Last of Us for a few hours. Although knowing the super slim it might melt before that.

The problem is just that, the TIM'd IHS and the RSX one is a real fucko to remove. It is no better on the smaller die chips on newer PS3's, the TPD is only slightly lower.
To one system I've changed the TIM to liquid metal and from another removed both IHS's completely and modified the heatsink to make direct contact.

The one I have from Japan launch, which I've never opened, overheats fairly fast with newer titles (both the cpu and rsx hit 95C rapidly).

Good luck op. Mine never gets colder than 69°C

And I mean changed the TIM to liquid metal between the die and IHS (and well, obviously the one between ihs and heatsink too). The latter with heatsinks on the die, run relatively cool: never exceeding 65C when playing RGG0 and with the default fan profile, it won't go into the loudest jet mode.

just get a phat ps2 and a network adapter/hdd

I have one since the release, and I have beat TLoU many times to get the platinum trophy, it's not any louder, not even when playing GTA V. I bet you have never seen one, it's the most quiet and cooler PS3 version by far, and I have already had a fat that died from YLOD and a 2nd gen Slim that I sold because reasons.

And you don't want to play PSX/PS2 games on the PS3 running progessive resolution: the interpolation adds massive input lag and scaling to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 even more. The analog output (composite or s-video) is free of input lag.

I have a modded ps3 fat, after installing a osd for the temps is no wonder these fucks ylod so quickly. 75 C idle and almost a 100 C at full load. And the fan would just keep quiet, if you change the fan profile you get reasonable temps but horrible noise.

How come yours didn't ylod ?

Don't.
Second gen Fats are the best of the best.
Quiet and no worried of YOLD.

For PS1 and PS2 get a PS1 and PS2.

Slims are much louder and run hotter than third gen Fat.

Fix that, my fault, second gen was still shit, it was third gen.

Not him, but it's not. I own several and they are no better then Slims.
The 3rd generation Fats with piped cooling where the quietest.

best you can do is buy a ps2 (no point in buying ps1) and whatever ps3 that suits you
don't go full retard

But everything after the 1st gen fat is just imitating the real thing. And that missing Card Reader Slot is just obnoxious.

Well, my fat sounded like a fucking jet and the slim something quieter than that, but the super slim just sounds like a shitty Intel stock cooler. The only loud sound it does is when a game is being loaded from the bd drive, it's far loud than the previous versions, but it doesn't happen often so it's quieter overall.

I have one. YLOD after maybe a year, got a shop to reball it with leaded solder, has run like a trooper for years. It is quite loud.

CFW + sMan you can control fans speed

hey man use seem to be trying to help op but please ease off the reddit spacing my man. Sup Forums doesnt have a shitty mark up so you can just use single spaces

the fan is in the bottom and it's not easy to dissasemble.
chrome face all have ps2 hardware inside, matte gray face wth 4 usb emulates ps2, 2 usb ps1 only

My isn't moddable anymore. Guess I have to stick to new thermal paste and cleaning it.

This is pretty much your only realistic solution.

Fact is, RoHS fucking destroyed so many consoles, PCs, laptops and other systems.
Mainly embedded systems though, PCs less so.
Thanks, greenfags.
Couldn't just recycle hardware properly instead.
Nope, let's make hardware BREAK more often, require MORE COOLING to stop breaking and generally use way more energy to sustain such industries overall.
GGGGRRRREAT!
Fuck RoHS. Fuck it so hard.