Laptops still using shitty lcd screens

>laptops still using shitty lcd screens
>90% have disgusting light bleed in the corners

oled when?

When designers pull their head out of their ass and stop making websites and programs 90% white to emulate the look of printed media.

oled has pixel degradation

When burn problem will be gone

I agree op, oled looks gorgeous

OLED's suffer from screen burn. Dell has an OLED monitor though so who knows, perhaps there's a work around but when I went to the local store to buy an LG E6 I noticed the floor demo was burned pretty badly already after only a month.

you just set your display settings to turn off the screen after 30 seconds of inactivity or something. I had a laptop with an oled screen for years and have had a 4k oled screen for like 7 or 8 months now and have had no screen burn. You just cant leave it on all the time on, say, the login screen or whatever (like display models quite often are)

The menu bar from the DVD burned onto the screen. Even put the screen into its maintenance mode which is supposed to get rid of it but didn't.

Why have I never witnessed screen burn on any of my phone's that use OLED?

The LG's have an autodim function to help prevent it. Still a gorgeous screen, but I'd hate to have a windows logo or something for the rest of my viewing days etched onto my screen.

I had read Samsung is working on self luminous QLED which if true will be a holy grail with inorganic screens not degrading and perhaps having superior light output. Course I'm filing that in the SED TV box for now until it's actually available if ever.

Good point, don't know. I looked at those first Sony 12" OLEDs and never saw one of those burned either, but that E6 sure got burned.

Thats part of the reason why I always set my taskbar to auto hide, but I guess the top bar of windows could do it too, although I've never noticed it.

For what its worth I have a samsung u28d590d, for what you get its cheap as fuck and looks great, I dunno what there is to complain about. It was kind of a bitch to set up properly, and the default windows drivers are infinitely better than the samsung ones, but that's not a huge deal

After reading up on it, it will happen within the next few years. The reason phones have gotten it is that failure rates for small screens are allowable. TVs get it because the customers are generally rich or ignorant.

Monitors are niche market and tend to be left on all the time with static images. If autodim is allowed and similar firmware/software techniques are used like in phones, I have think they will become economical.

Btw that dell monitor is like $5k and doesn't even have g-sync or something similar. Paying a months salary for a monitor is completely silly.

>For what its worth I have a samsung u28d590d, for what you get its cheap as fuck and looks great
>cheap as fuck
oh damn wtf, I take that back, I got mine for like $300CAD, but now I'm looking online and they're $700 or $800CAD. Why would the price go up after almost a year, even if it was on sale when I got it (I think only 25 or 30%)?

>you just set your display settings to turn off the screen after 30 seconds of inactivity or something
no thanks

>30 seconds of inactivity
>Have to jiggle mouse 17 times when reading a wikipedia article to keep the screen from shutting off

jesus then set it to 10 or 15 minutes or whatever the fuck I dont care

I prefer my screen to last more than 3 years. Why do you think oled has only caught on on cellphones? Cause no one keeps a cell phone for more than 2 years anymore

>cathode
>ray
>tube
revival when?

Or use a display technology that doesn't ruin itself from you using it.

I definitely noticed on my S4, all of the screen was a bit yellow except for right where the status bar was.

my phone has burn in from extremely minimal use of the stopwatch on usually low brightness and with the display usually turned off, it has permanent burn in from the google search bar, susceptibility to burn in only gets worse with age and cheaper displays are far more prone to it

oleds are barely acceptable to use in phones because viewing angles trump all other considerations and it's not a device that is typically going to be needed to be used on high brightness for long periods of time, unlike computer monitors where even if they are used responsibility with screen savers and are turned off frequently they will get burn in from things like the taskbar and start menu as anybody who had used a crt on winxp will attest to

basically it's a shitty technology for displaying static images, computers and even phones display a *lot* of static images

Have lcd hooked up to a server at work that has burned in login screen.

I did take years tho.

I don't understand the mentality of complaining about freesync/gsync or high refresh rate not being on a professional monitor.
It's not meant for framerates its purely meant for the color coverage and accuracy.

Never hopefully.

All self emitting display technologies experience image retention and burn in. It's why the computer monitor market has stagnated.

Because people want nice colours in general use monitors too.

When OLED becomes inexpensive.

When OLED gets rid of burn in

My 4 year old cell phone begs to differ
I haven't noticed that on my s4

I bought a u28d590 in 2014 for €500. I ordered it from Korea because they didn't sell them in Europe back then. It's a nice screen especially for a TN display.