/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

or /QTDDTOT/ - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread(s)

>Post your unbelievably stupid or short questions here in this thread.

>Also go through the thread to answer any questions that you may know an answer to.

Previous thread - Have a nice day.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/chrome/browser/privacy/whitepaper.html#datacompression
sslproxies.org
tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
thepolyglotdeveloper.com/2016/05/install-better-custom-rom-amazon-kindle-fire/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do these play m4a format audio files?

I'm running win7 and MINT dual boot. I'm trying to expand the space where MINT's filesystem is. I already created some unallocated space through win7 but can't seem to put it to use with GPart. Here's a gif of what's going on. I want to merge the unallocated space with the ext4 space.

Your problem is you're trying to move the start of an OS partition. That's going to be a pain, as you probably already knew.

Yeah, the thing is that I have done it before, like 3-4 months ago was when I first expanded the space but I can't recall how or what I did. I remember somehow moving the unallocated space after the MINT partition, so that I was able to expand the ext4 partition further but as I said, no clue how I did it

is bash scripting and shell scripting the same thing?

As far as I can tell, you can't.
It has something to do with booting of OS, Can't remember what exactly, but I had a similar issue a few years a go.
My workaround was backing up the partition the wiping it then restoring it.
Ever since then I always install each OS on different physical drive.

Yeah I think that I can't just extend the file system since it's in use at the moment, should be obvious but didn't hit me at first. I guess I'll just boot from the MINT installation iso with USB and try from there, should definitely work when doing it like that.

Google's Chrome and Opera have "data compression proxies" that you can use to save up data usage.
How safe are they? For example using it while logging to a website that uses SSL?

no, bash is a shell.
a bash script only works with bash compatible shells.
a powershell script only works with powershell compatible shells.

MITM has access to everything you do including SSL connections.

you can't resize a mounted ext4 volume, and you can't move a mounted volume
boot from your mint livecd, then move/resize it

I thought SSL was invented to stop MITM attacks.

you're thinking of digital certificates

>Data Saver
>If you enable Data Saver, Chrome will send your HTTP traffic through Google's optimizing proxy servers. This option reduces the amount of data downloaded, and protects you against malware and phishing via the Safe Browsing service. You can find more information about the data compression benefits on the Chromium blog.
>The proxy service is disabled for connections to HTTPS origins and connections made from Incognito tabs. These connections are not routed through Google's servers. For connections to HTTP origins, request URLs are logged. Cookies and If-None-Match headers are stripped from the logs. Additionally, the content of proxied pages is also cached but not logged. The logs are not associated with your Google Account, and the entire log entry is removed within 6 months. These logs are also governed by standard Google search logging policies.
>Google uses the logged and cached data to improve both Data Saver and Safe Browsing; for example, more effective optimizations can be uncovered by analyzing timing data for pages loaded through the proxy service, and malware can be detected more rapidly by analyzing response data in realtime.
>Your IP address is forwarded to the origin HTTP server via an X-Forwarded-For header, in accordance with the HTTP standard. The Data Saver service is a transparent proxy, not an anonymization service.
>By default, the connection between the browser and the Data Saver proxy is over an encrypted channel. However, a network administrator can disable the use of an encrypted channel to Data Saver.
google.com/chrome/browser/privacy/whitepaper.html#datacompression

whops, forgot the quote

SSL is for exactly that, but it assumes you're not giving the MITM full control of your connection by using their software to connect through their proxy.

Yeah, sorry.
So what about logging in first then using it?
Or this will cause it to logout?
I see.
Thanks, then how's this different from VPN?
What stops the VPN provider from being a MITM?

770 4gb or 960 4gb?
it's supposed to be used with eGPU and 220W Dell DA-2 PSU

VPN can't force you to use non-SSL connection to their server. Opera can. Chrome can too, but according to Chrome simply doesn't proxy SSL connections.

To my knowledge Opera however does.

>VPN can't force you to use non-SSL connection to their server
So you mean VPN can only see the traffic but not the content?
How's this different than proxy connected to SSL site?

It's not different from a proxy connected to SSL site at all. It's different from a built in proxy like that of Opera. Because the browser software has full control over the connections it's making, it can use 1 SSL connection with its own certs to connect to proxy server, which then decodes and re-encrypts the message for a second SSL connection with the origin server. Or it can send a HTTP request to proxy which then does a HTTPS request to origin server.

The difference is the software on client computer.

My bluetooth earbuds crackle, but not all the time, and only on the left side. I made a test with a smartphone and a tablet as well, but it's bad on both devies. What do?
Already tried to increase sound of the device and turning it back on the earbuds. The problem is persisting. What now?

Guys, my memearrow button on my computer's keyboard stopped working. How to fix it? Please help me Sup Forums

I see.
Then what about using HTTP/Socket proxy like any of these
sslproxies.org , from firefox?
Should it be safe to login to sites that uses SSL?

Is Google account a must with unrooted android phone? What will i miss without having one?

I am not from Sup Forums, I'm a Sup Forumsack, but I recognize this issue. It's usually a sign that you have a cheap pair of earbuds and their connector part that goes into device is giving in soon. I am sorry but if that gets worse, you just need to buy a new pair of earbuds, mate.

How do I switch from LXDE to LXQT without destroying my current desktop?

click insert button then page up. *le reddit invade

>
>I am not from Sup Forums, I'm a Sup Forumsack
And your bad reading comprehension proves it.
That guy was asking about bluetooth, shitlord.
Sup Forums really is the worst board.

How to repel the black guy having loud phone calls outside my window every day?

Is there any fast, easy way to inflict physical damage onto a HDD without opening it?

Please help me. My PC can't connect to the internet and the LAN led on my mobo has been off since around 2pm (here it's 7.30 om now). I ran Windows troubleshooter and the result was that either the LAN cable isn't connected properly or it's damaged. I've rebooted several times, I've removed and linked the cable several times and I've even bought a new LAN cable, but the problem is still there. What am I supposed to do now? I'm on Windows 10 and my mobo is Asus H110m-k.

Fuck off, I was trying to help him. I don't see you giving any advice to you, miserable cunt.

I don't get it, doesn't seem to work. I press Ctrl+Delete/Insert and pgup on my laptop but nothing happens.

whatfer?

throw it at concrete

Throw it at the ground until it stops working?

Fuck off, I was trying to help him. I don't see you giving any advice to him, miserable cunt.

I don't get it, doesn't seem to work. I press Ctrl+Delete/Insert and pgup on my laptop but nothing happens.

Why delete and then post same thing???

Any software solutions? Or am I better off hitting the drive while it spins?

You could make brick it by flashing garbage to it in place of firmware. Why are you wanting to do this?

he changed the text slightly.

grammar mistake, corrected a word

I got a new rx580, I used DDU to uninstall the old drivers and plugged it in. the leds and fans started but no signal on the monitor. I used the same cable so there's either a problem with the hdmi port or some sort of incompatibility no?
any help?

did you plug in the power cables into the card?

var window: UIWindow?
var vc:ViewController?

func application(application: UIApplication, didFinishLaunchingWithOptions
launchOptions: [NSObject: AnyObject]?) -> Bool {
window = UIWindow(frame: UIScreen.mainScreen().bounds)
window!.backgroundColor = UIColor.redColor()
vc = ViewController(nibName: "ViewController", bundle: nil)
window!.rootViewController = vc
window!.makeKeyAndVisible()
return true
}

What would these few lines of swift-code look like in objective c? I'm too bad at both of these languages to do it myself.

yes, i did.. it was a 6pin+2 not that it matters right?

Nope. Opera doesn't, unless they changed at some point when I wasn't looking.

Do i need a specific router to install DD-WRT?
or i can do it in any router with no problems?

dd-wrt needs to support that router.

Its time to take some math courses. What are some resources to go from basic algebra skills mathlet to pre-calc associates degree mathlet?

I've been told Khanacademy unironically has great tutorials. I liked their Python program so maybe?

They have a list of compatible models on their site. There are generally better firmwares out there though, depending on what you're wanting to do.

Alright, i will check it out.
Thanks.

Did you plug the video cable into the card or mobo?

Anybody know of any good cheap fpga's? I'm sitting on some VHDL experience from my last job, and think it might be fun to play around with at home.
pic unrelated, obviously.

video card and after that I plugged into the mobo to at least get to the bios to see if anything was badly configured and I got no signal too. for the mobo I even tried hdmi and vga

How do I minimize dust in my case?

the least you could do is use code tags you fucking shitlord, no one is going to bother reading that

tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

is there a way i can set the "Full English" subtitle track as default in MPC-HC?
i dont want to constantly have to chose that one myself
pls help i want to watch this aminu

Is it possible to root/jailbreak a kindle fire? Im tired of these fucking ads on the lockscreen, and the UI is just so fucking bad. I also want [spoiler] Cool shit in this Pixel Gun game during my downtimes when I don't feel like reading[/spoiler]

Current smartphone is a zenfone 5 and it has shitty batery, wasn't a problem before but now i travel all the time and keep running out of batery from the constant use on the bus, should i get a new smartphone with better batery or just a powerbank to charge on the bus?
Trying to decide between a moto g5 (not many options where i live, it's either that or Samsung stuff, which i really dislike) or an asus Power Bank.

Just got a package from Amazon that had really obviously been ripped open and taped back together. What happened there? Was initially worried the contents might be damaged but they seem fine, just a game I preordered anyway in one of those bubble envelopes.

Minimize dust in the room, and place it further from the floor. If you're in an apartment without any forced air, a HEPA unit can cut airborne particulate by an order of magnitude. You'll still need to blow out the inside every year or two.

Not sure about your specific case but this might be promising for you:
thepolyglotdeveloper.com/2016/05/install-better-custom-rom-amazon-kindle-fire/

bash is the most popular unix/linux shell. windows also has shell scripting. a recent innovation was MS bringing Bash to Windows 10, recognizing how much better bash/unix is

theres many different shells, I think zsh is one. one just came out called Fish that I've heard good things about

ASUS VG248QE, BENQ XL2720 or BENQ XL2411Z? I also heard that 27'' doesn't look good with 1080p, that 24'' is preferred for that resolution. How true is this?

Will my anime be able to play properly on it?

Some cases come with built in dust filters. this would be best case scenario, but there are aftermarket options for filters you can attach to case fans, though I don't know how big of an effect they'd have on airflow. You'd still have to clean the filters occasionally.

>I also heard that 27'' doesn't look good with 1080p
True.
21-24" is the sweet spot for 1080p.

ASUS VG248QE.

Any particular reason to pick ASUS over BENQ?

No reason, ASUS VG248QE is just a really good monitor.
ASUS has shitty warranty so buy it somewhere that gives you good warranty, like Amazon.

BenQ monitors are good too except the 27" one.

I have two different torrents that contain the same mkv file, but downloaded different parts of it, now, is it possible to merge those parts to obtain the full file? pic related

How do I change the color of the background between the gaps when using grid-template in CSS? It's not going to my bodies background color.

Hello! First time installing Ubuntu. I've put the DVD inside, I've accessed UEFI in Windows10 but the system doesn't let me choose to boot by using the drive. What could be the problem?

set the grids parent element background color.

How do I make the new tab page about:config

Anyone know how to take a screenshot including subtitles in MPC-HC?

Alt+I.

Oh I figured it out there wasn't a background color set for the grid themselves only the boxes themselves, thanks user

Doesn't work, it takes the screenshot but the picture is without the subtitles in.

It might be worth mentioning that I'm using MPC-HC x64 1.7.11 with nothing else (no Xy-SubFilter, no madVR)

Works for me, im using CCCP.

if my current laptop is struggling when running multiple programs (especially the internet browser when playing video/theres lots of tabs open), what aspects of a new laptop do i need to pay most attention to? is it ram and/or the cpu?

thanks

CPU over everything since this will decide how strong it will be power and graphics wise.
Screen is important too.

RAM can be upgraded on most laptops.
Storage too.

If you buy 27'' you need to aim for 1440p. Not less, not more.

>1440p
>144hz
I'll just go for 1080p. 1440p is the 900p of this era.

Change your renderer to something that supports subtitles. (Madvr)

1080 is too low resolution for 27. I know that because i have two monitors. One 27 1080p and second 1440p 27. The difference is big.

Is CCCP still worth using? What about KCP?

I've heard both are outdated.

They haven't been updated because there is no reason to, both work just fine and have no problems because nothing has changed.

what's a good command to copy all contents from one hdd to another in linux? it's not a system disk, so no need to exclude fancy folders like /dev/. i'd use rsync but forgot the syntax

>CCCP still worth using? What about KCP?
NO. Install madvr and xysubfilter. Set madvr "image upscaling" to NGU Anti Alias (medium) if you have decent videocard. Also enable "debanding" and enable "smooth motion".

cheers, dyou know any good summaries to get up to speed on which cpus are recommended?

also, in what way does the screen affect the performance?

Wait few months or less for Ryzen APU notebooks.

>forgot the syntax
man rsync is the command you need.

>screen affect the performance
The bigger resolution the more it wastes charge and more demanding on video card.

why the fuck are gpus really expensive

900p was useful for a lot of situations. Video content isn't specifically designed for 1440p, but that hardly matters. 144hz is a meme for almost all situations, but 1440p is golden. It's really the sweet spot resolutions should have aimed for, but it was easier for marketing to sell "4 times HD!!!". Otherwise step your monitors size down to at least 25 inch

But theyre not?

Depends in your budget, avoid AMD laptops for multiple reasons.
Based on what you need and your budget.

If you dont have a lot of money look for a used Thinkpad X220.

What is your current laptop? could you post a screenshot of speccy?

They're not. 20 years ago shit was expensive. GPUs scale in price/performance tiers about the same as CPUs, they just go out of date faster because their tech is evolving faster.