Why Linux?

Customizing the GUI is fun and all, but what's the point? Sure there are secure distros and all that for specific purposes, but people here seem to be using Arch or Ubuntu or something like that.

Performance is pretty lacking too, and there are little bugs and irritating quirks everywhere.

Are you all working a corporate administrator position or something that requires you to use Linux for some reason? What is it? It makes computers feel like an old Android phone in that you're really fighting the thing instead of using it.

>What is it?
anime desktop connoisseur

>Performance is pretty lacking too, and there are little bugs and irritating quirks everywhere.
I have both Windows 7 and Arch with i3 installed. Arch is much more responsive than W7.

>Customizing the GUI is fun and all, but what's the point?
The point for me is to have more pleasant working environment as a programmer.

>It makes computers feel like an old Android phone in that you're really fighting the thing instead of using it.
That's funny because it's on Windows that I feel like I'm fighting the OS instead of it doing what I want it to do.

Ubuntu "werks" for me and that's my whole apology for using it.

package manager

>Performance is pretty lacking too, and there are little bugs and irritating quirks everywhere.
i feel the same way about windows

Linux provides a desktop experience superior to what Windows offers. Any little bugs or quirks in Linux is nothing compared to the shit hurricane you can find yourself dealing with on Windows. And that's only with things like updates failling or the OS fucking up drivers, that's not even counting the potential malware.

>kde

>and there are little bugs and irritating quirks everywhere.
Windows has just as many, you're just used to them.

What about it?

Why do you feel like you are fighting the os on windows?

>Bitch, I said it's time to install updates. I hope you saved your shit you little faggot.

I've seen more irritating quirks on a Windows 10 installation than on Ubuntu Gnome 17.04. I also have no idea why you're saying that performance is pretty lacking. Are you trying out Linux on a virtual machine or something?

I've never had this problem on any Windows 10. I agree its bad for spying on you and all, but auto updates were easy to turn off...

Are you all working a corporate administrator position or something that requires you to use Linux for some reason? What is it?
I am making embedded systems.
I am using ubuntu and my embedded systems use ubuntu.
Most of the time, I do not have a desktop environment on those systems, and when I do, I don't change much.

>It makes computers feel like an old Android phone in that you're really fighting the thing instead of using it.
I think it depends on what you are doing.
For programming, using windows is not a good option as you lack the tools of the trade and you waste time replicating it.
osx is not an option as there is no hardware support and I am not taping an imac to a platform.

Is Linux even secure anymore? Nobody says anything about vault7 only the founder who said something like "that's understandable" Nobody has said anything about what exploits are fixed or which distros are secure, they just remain silent

Hell I even feel safer using windows 10, Linux has shit firewalls and primitive url/dns logging, while on windows you can disable their spyware shit even their hardcoded domains and have good firewalls and monitoring tools

Believe it or not, it's easier to do my homeworks on a linux system because it integrates the programs I use better. When I need something more vanilla I use windows.

>registry
>preinstalled bloat
>package management
>nonstandard ui
>filesystems
it's incredibly frustrating downloading helper programs to change simple things

it's required on gnome 3 without customizing it's unusable

>while on windows you can disable their spyware shit even their hardcoded domains and have good firewalls and monitoring tools

>Baka MPlayer
>not mpv
Why?

> Why Linux?
> Customizing the GUI
You are missing the point. Linux can deliver bulletproof, 2-years-of-uptime, botnet-free, secure and updateable services in your home for free of charge.

For playlists obviously, I don't want to have to select the next episode when one ends. Baka Mplayer is just a frontend for mpv btw.

It is possible to block it and very easy too

Linux feels like the only operating system family that doesn't get in your way, I don't understand your point there. I feel like Windows and osx get in the way far more often than any Linux distro I've used. Unless you consider the ability to fully customize your operating system as "fighting it"

The updates can be blocked this way too

Now is Linux actually still secure? I cant find any info on whether they actually fixed it just people assuming they did it since is open source

>is Linux still secure?
Here's the big secret: no. Nothing is secure. I guarantee you there are huge gaps in both Windows and Linux that no one has found yet. Arguing which has more at a specific point in time is asinine. The differentiating factor is where the power lies; in Windows you have to trust the Microsoft developers are competent enough to fix everything. In Linux you have more control because it is open source.

"Performance is pretty lacking too, and there are little bugs and irritating quirks everywhere."

No, that's Windows. You're thinking of Windows, there.

You can customize far more than the gui. In fact, customizing the gui is typically my last priority. The point is you can customize pretty much the entire os.

You'll find that most Linux exploits require some sort of access to your computer. It's like not the CIA is going to hack you from afar. Now if they break into your home to mess around, you're probably fucked unless you use full disk encryption with a 32 character password or something.

Whats the most important customization you make to your linux OS?

Customizations to tmux and even more basically my bashrc/bash_profile and even my vimrc. Very basic but extremely essential.

Never happened to me

And to all you other traps: you are flaming anime faggots. Self sterilization is an option to consider!

Linux benefits from economies of scale where Windows can't. Once you're out of your element when it comes to Group Policy and ImageX (or AIK or whatever the fuck they all it any more), your up shit creek deploying Windows.

Desktop Linux has made an absurd amount of ground in the last five years. Give it another five and it'll contend with Windows for business environments.

The only thing Windows servers were ever worth a shit for is managing Windows desktops.

Not having to worry about ETERNALBLUE is reason enough to use Linux, at least for me.

removing systemd.

>Never happened to me
Stop lying. Also not everyone who watches anime is a retarded cross dressing faggot, I probably bench more than you do.

There is literally nothing wrong with systemD

I feel you
Sadly, I have to use W7 at work.
My issues are: no middle click paste, no tiling, the windows loose focus randomly, no scroll in unfocused windows and, one of the most annoying things, I can see the fucking pixels from shitty glossy icons. I mean, you pay for the OS and suddenly you reach an obscure configuration window that has the windows 95 and for some reason the icons in a very shitty resolution.

This. Also post hitagi.gif pls.

Half of those things do actually belong in systemd though, like mounts, mounting happens during the init process. Also logging fits well in systemd because it starts all the services so it can easily gather their messages, and of course acpi is in there because that has to do with powering on and off the system which is handled by the init system.

Nah playa