Member when everything was better?

Member when everything was better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>800x600
yeah

>tfw shitty LCDs memed CRTs out of existence
Why did EVERYONE fall for the widescreen meme?

I remember a time when I thought things would get better.

Why the fuck I want to go back to the 32 bits era with only 3.2 GiB of RAM? Also XP is ugly AF, slow AF, and it has a fuckton of insecurity issues

Xp era was the best, because people didn't take everything so seriously and game devs actually cared about the games they were making

>HiDPI
>HD+
>1995

>insecurity issues
idk user xp was pretty self-confident

>Member when everything was better?
>fisher price os
yeah, 2000 was better

Better than the lazy "muh minimalistic" design

>tfw you remember rather spending time outside playing with friends than with your computer
>then something happened

Normies and movies :(

You found us user.
Home.

tfw you'll never look at on a glorious, sharp MultiSync CRT

windowsXP is st-still alive right guys

better than gayOS

I always liked how XP looked after you stop the "Themes" service. It's very plain and clean, also frees up some memory.

Ah, those days. So much free weed, cash and love all came from fixing viruses and malware on normalfag XP machines.

I member.

MSFN still has an entire section for porting patches

everything dies

>everything dies

>XP era was the best

lol, kids these days...

You guys like my W7

>friend emails me from his brand new gmail account
>know he's only doing it to try and get me to ask him to invite me
>instead find a thread on Sup Forums of anons just handing out invites
>email him right back from my new account
Ahh, those were the days.

Is computer repair still a relevant job today? As in a full-time job?

>not employed
>taking phone calls every day
>making house calls at least five days a week
>re-installing windows, changing settings, running anti-virus while talking to new people or listening to music
>work my own schedule
>make money to pay bills

>time passes
>everyone bought new computers
>windows comes with anti-virus
>computers don't get unbearably slow anymore
>no more calls
>still not employed

help

>windows will never be friendly again ;_;

name a flaw

No not really. Back during Wnidows XP era i was bullied pretty badly every day in school. It was a good time for me.

widgets

Inside a big company yes.

The boot time.

It was pushed on hardware that had no chance in hell of running it without major performance issues.

Other than that, it was fine.

youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

I miss my Win98 machine, that old familiar clunk the CRT made switching resolutions as it bluescreened ='(

I'm still ready to go back if I need to, once DX 10/11 and any necessary Driver gets unofficially ported or ReactOS gets better, whatever happens first.

1gb of ram with a pentium duo :)

Manlet

You can still get CRTs, user.

Wow, that would make the highlight reel of just about anybody's life

But will it bluescreen all the time? IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME

>karachi, pakistan

Does this guy who asked sound to you like a
Louis Rossmann type a person? Not to me.

remember when everyone hated xp? it's not the best MS OS
ew CRT. widescreen is a meme indeed, but normal LCDs exist
XP has a 64bit and itanium versions
v

idk

Yes, before Ryzen

>XP has a 64bit and itanium versions
They were so shit i wont call them xp.

Just install Windows 95 like I did.

but computing has been getting both more affordable and powerful every year since its creation

XP was shit

I member

*XP was the shit
sorry typo

nuff said

>do you really want to change thing?
>do you really really want to change it?
>do you really really really want to change it?
>[ NO ]
>I thought so

the only question worth asking. our society should be ashamed for dropping us back into the stone age of display technology.

Oh wow it takes a minute to boot what am i gonna do with all that time

>install Vista
>just want to change mouse settings
>keep asking me if I really want to do it
>never use it again
>continue using XP today

quads and XP makes a comeback next year

2 minutes

I'm a moderate level freetard who has temporarily given up Linux because of reasons. I manage to just about not kill myself for using Windows with the thought that I'm at least supporting open-sopurce software by using open programs (Firefox, 7-Zip, Deluge). But then I deal with things like this:
>open Firefox to check fb
>leave it open in the background while writing a aper in M$ Word
>5 minutes later, Firefox crashes randomly

HOW DOES IT EVEN MANAGE TO CRASH WHILE I'M NOT USING IT.

It's not like my 16 GB of RAM is full by opening one tab in Firefox and having one dopcument open in Word.

Fuck modern technology so much, member when Firefox was good?

>not posting win2k

Office recently recycled all their old PCs due to them being too old for use as backup units or spare parts.

Rummaged through and frankensteined together a machine I plan on using for MAME, and hopefully turning into a tabletop cabinet.

Finally got round to installing XP on it last night and holy moly. ZERO drivers on the disk.

So now I'm having to look for internet drivers, download them onto a usb and hopefully get this machine online so I can self-sufficiently update the rest of the missing shit.

Nothing but troubleshooting. Overall headache. Hopefully this new batch of drivers I have grabbed will resolve my internet issues and have everything running.

Quick question about XP's discontinued support from Microsoft: Does that simply mean zero new updates? Or does that extend into being unable to use Windows Updater on the system itself to download revisions after a fresh install?

Hoping I do not need to go find all the XP updates manually and transfer them over.

It even managed to crash while writing this

It's French. It probably suffered some existential ennui and suicided.

Firefox hasn't crashed for me in years
I have no idea why you're having this problem

>Quick question about XP's discontinued support from Microsoft: Does that simply mean zero new updates? Or does that extend into being unable to use Windows Updater on the system itself to download revisions after a fresh install?
You just need SP3.
Why is every retards obsessed with updates, get an antivirus you fuck if you fear viruses.

>be computer illiterate
>get stuck with outdated shit OS because muh change

It crashes daily here, especially with 'fancy' websites like Facebook, GDrive or Outlook. You running the standard version?

I've heard the programmer version is actually A LOT more stable.

MSFN forums have a thread on how to enable POSReady.

firefox is shit

more

>XP is slow
>3.2 GiB RAM
nice bait

Oh, i dont care about viruses with this machine, it wont have any sort of internet connectivity once I have it setup. I just assumed there were updates that provided optimizations and just overall better stability of the OS and its features, and maybe some drivers.

Its literally going to be a fresh install + mame.

You're just retarded. You look for drivers before you try to install, not after. Fucking Christ.

Why not a light linux distro plus mame?

>member when Firefox was good?
No, I switched from Firefox to Chrome in 2010 because it kept crashing on me all the time.

Because if you can see what this user is articulating: I'm a huge pleb when it comes to Computers. Doubt i could handle Linux.

XP was pretty shit desu, 7 was the first really good Windows. then they fucked it all up instantly with 8 and onwards. actually 8.1 was usable, 10 is trash again.

7 is trash, basically a Vista service pack. Easily the most overrated Windows OS.

>7 is trash
>no elaboration at all

Literally saw browser crashes on opera only. Idiots will never fail to break things tho

>PKO
oh god, that game was my mmorpg curse

Saw a thread earlier today where someone had a windows XP theme for Xubuntu. Looked breddy gomfy

I even reinstalled Windows and Firefox before giving up and switched to Chrome. Firefox was just shit. Liked the addons but it was unusable.

>Idiots will never fail to break things tho
What does this even mean?

Isn't a browser supposed to be idiot proof?

Windows 2000, TWO THOUSAND, and every OS after has support for PAE.
PAE was disabled because, GUESS WHO, 3rd party driver developers are fucking shit-tier.
PAE broke some 3rd party drivers, so MS just disabled it outright.
PAE gives all of these OSes 64GB accessible memory.

It works in a similar way to paging, just deeper down in the system and only RAM.

I rememeber

a simpler time

grea times

THE INTERNET

>duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

*beep*

>computers were more expensive and became outdated more quickly
>software was more expensive and did less
>abhorrent design paradigms
>shitty display resolutions
>shitty internet speeds
haha yeah the good old days right my man?
I wouldn't give up 2017 for anything, especially when it allows me to have all of that "good old days" shit for $5 a pop off the pallet and all the software I could ever want for it through abandonware archives and a 50 mbps internet connection, nostalgia is cancer.
PAE was garbage

>nostalgia is cancer.

People that don't understand or feel nostalgia are usually psychopathic. Hi psycho.

>PAE was garbage
I'll punch you in your fucking dick.
Don't dare insult my waifu.

But really, it could have easily been worked on and made more stable.
We still use swap today, in fact, despite high RAM averages.

64bit, like all those other threads we've had for the past few weeks, is a fucking meme.
It only has use in science.
In fact, I guess you could say gaming, but even then such things are only needed on GPUs, and that technically doesn't apply in the same way. (except in the disaster that was LMAO 3.5 Nvidiagigs)
It is most certainly not needed for the CPU-side, which would be perfectly fine using a finished and fully bug-free PAE feature.
The overhead of it is basically nothing since it is in RAM.

At the time since 64bit wasn't even being considered, PAE WAS going to be the solution for the foreseeable future.
This isn't a problem like IPv6 is where it would have required massive fucking changes to everything ever, it was just some cunts that needed to change memory offsets in their shitty drivers.

>computers were more expensive and became outdated more quickly
mre interesting market
>software was more expensive and did less
software CDs everywhere
>abhorrent design paradigms
comfy and intuitive design
>shitty display resolutions
high quality pixels
>shitty internet speeds
take the time to appreciate what you do instead of refreshing Sup Forums every 2.5 second

>64bit, like all those other threads we've had for the past few weeks, is a fucking meme.
Are you some third world TF2 player on a Pentium 4 or something?

no I "understand and feel" nostalgia I just don't constantly bitch and moan about how life is shit now and I wish I could go back, because I don't
the "good old days" were objectively shit and you only remember them positively because you weren't a bitter whining fuck back then
in a way I don't really disagree with you, but the decision to shift to 64-bit was the best in the end as it gave you more options and simplified the process
>mre interesting market
easy to say when you aren't paying for it
>software CDs everywhere
yeah, if all you wanted was office, encarta and shitty video games
>comfy and intuitive design
you are cancer
>take the time to appreciate what you do instead of refreshing Sup Forums every 2.5 second
jesus fuck why did I bite this bait 8/10