Instant messaging is a complete mess

What should be done to fix this?

create new messaging app that will fix everything
or just irc

1.) Apple could save the day and make iMessage available outside the Apple ecosystem they built (which is something they won't do. And why should they? iMessage is one of the biggest reasons to buy an iPhone/MacBook.)
2.) Google could save the day and build an app that fulfills every need (e.g. true SMS fallback,a desktop client or website, true conversation synchronization (not just a Drive backup), ease of use (no email addresses or Google+), and video calling.)
3.) The entire world could collectively decide upon a third-party app, which seems like it already happened with WhatsApp, except WhatsApp sucks and people are idiots for making it a standard.
4.) Everybody just give up. Say, "Fuck it," and just call each other. It doesn't use the internet, it's reliable and there are no compatibility issues. Even those shitty $15 tracfones can take/make calls.

Someone should just write an instant messaging app that uses IRC as a backbone, and allow users to access via an IRC client (or any other app) as they please

>create new messaging app that will fix everything

That's the meme my dude

so a non retarded version of discord?

let me summarize
IRC

>What should be done to fix this?
People should stop talking to each other entirely

This, to be honest

First off, stop trying to make the next big messaging app. There are already a billion of them out there and they're all being shilled hard.

I'm glad I'm antisocial. I couldn't imagine having to install 50 different apps on my phone/computer to communicate with friends.

>4.) Everybody just give up. Say, "Fuck it," and just call each other. It doesn't use the internet, it's reliable and there are no compatibility issues. Even those shitty $15 tracfones can take/make calls.
This, but unironically. It's the most realistic, practical solution there is.
Just call each other until this whole 'messaging' thing is sorted out. It's much simpler. Plus, there's no more having to wait for someone to read your message and respond to it. Calling is more 'instant' than instant messaging.

facebook fixed IM years ago. Keep up autists.

Just use sms and email like a pro, messenger programs are for teenage girls

t. man with no friends

Fb messenger is the solution you are looking for

> wanting to hang out with a bunch of attention whoring drama queens who will leech off your generocity

Nah i switched so many social circles that I'm no longer interested in having "friends"

But IMs are asynchronous, unlike calling. If my friend is busy at this given moment, and i don't need an instant answer (or an answer at all - maybe I just want to show him a funny maymay) calling would be extremely inconvenient. you

>using facebook
dude, people are deleting their profiles in droves.
try to keep up.

Yeah, facebooks feature creep and suspicious activity surrounding users privacy has really turned a lot of people off from them recently. Also mark zucc is gross lol

Someone should make an instant messaging app that's better than everything else to make everyone switch to it.

Google is trying to get SMS replaced with RCS but all the other corporations are too jewish to let it happen.

>IM
>Instant Messenger
>Doesn't expect an instant response
Wut

Use Delta chat. Email based instant messenger is a pretty good idea to have the ability to communicate with somebody who doesn't have any im software installed, to keep your content on your own server or to create a complete independent im network.

whats wrong with whatsapp?

Facebook.

Reminder that IRC is fucking garbage.

Google should probably make another app

WhatsApp + Telegram should be good enough for most people. Facebook messenger is a laggy POS

so, privacy is the deal with whatsapp?
how reliable is whatsapps end to end encryption?

>another
google is partly at blame here, dont they have like 4 messaging apps?

Facebook is a stupid reason not to use it, eu privacy laws have forced them to give you the ability to turn that functionality off, also: the encryption is pretty solid, hasn't been broken yet.

Your data and content is their business... Killing the cash cow is a stupid idea and the success of Facebook isn't based on stupid ideas.
I see no reason why I should trust the security that is provided by the company from which i try to hide my stuff.

It's ugly and uses Drive as a source for backup, which sucks.

Short story: the government could possibly find away of accessing your chat records if it wanted to. But unless you're planning to do something that would cause the government to target you specifically you should be fine.

>eu privacy laws
so, say someone like me, whos lives in GOAT Costa Rica can use whatsapp without having to worry about being spyed on by Zuc?
wouldnt want the Zuc seeing my dick pics wouldnt i?

IRC has fucking garbage security, are you ASKING for a data leak?

because they're huge and under heavy scrutiny from the eu privacy consumer authority?
that's a good enough reason, they make their bux offa fucks who are too stupid to turn that functionality off.

Congratulations you just described IRC

>Only once device at a time
>Requires phone number
>PC client requires phone to be on
>No unique features to speak of
>Shit name
What's right with Whatsapp?

irc is the most secure protocol for chat ever devised because of how simple the protocol is. drop ctcp, use a network that doesn't reveal your hostname and you're fucking good.

Even if they don't use it, they own the key.

Riot to the rescue!

you just described Twitch chat

>whats right with whatsapp?

>it just werks
>everyone uses it
>IM, Voice call, video call still works with shitty internet
>end to end encryption

bring back AIM

>everyone uses it
I haven't met a single person who uses it
I've met maybe 3 people who even know what it is

where are you from user?

im from Costa Rica and everyone uses it here, and i mean everyone, theres no other competing app

Remember that the children, and most parents of our age are fucking retarded and won't tolerate or understand anything that isn't Instagram DM or Imessage

Exactly
That's why you have to sell it as instant messaging instead of irc

Florida
Everyone uses SMS or Facebook
Or Snapchat if you're actually 12

I really want to see email based im as a standard. No limitation of file types, you choose the server to store your shit, no company in the middle, ability to communicate with somebody who doesn't own a smartphone, ability to create completely independent or closed networks, open standards, easy to implement and so on.

True, let the retarded children stick to Instagram and Snapchat, and let the intelligent people use this hypothetical instant messaging app you speak of.

Are you from America? An American friend told me no one uses WhatsApp there, most use messenger or other shitty apps. WhatsApp might not be the best possible app but it's relatively lightweight and snappy, easy to set up and it hardly ever has problems. The design encouraging voice messaging is also great.
I wouldn't mind if everyone used telegram, but it's push notifications are a bit shit. I often don't get messages until hours later and several friends of mine have had the same problem.

It really is a case of just werks

Buy an iPhone pajeet

please make the IRC app happen

Yeah, I'm in America. We all use SMS or Facebook. I'm really excited for universal RCS because at least it'll be a little better than being stuck with SMS.
I love Telegram, but I had to give it up because only my brother was willing to use it.
My biggest beef with Whatsapp is that I switch computers often and I need a messenger that lets me log into multiple machines at once, sometimes away from my phone. Any messenger other than Whatsapp and Allo lets me do that, even with SMS I can install Pushbullet on multiple PCs with no problem.

i cant believe you fucking gringos still use SMS, its so fucking shitty
whatsapp is a million times better than SMS

are you from Europe ("AKA the land of the terrorist attacks?" mi amigo?

what you dont see is that by only allowing one computer at a time to be logged in, whatsapp is keeping you safe

Just use Trillian, it's the best IM client. It connects to most major IM networks, has a desktop,mobile, and web client, and it keeps cloud history of your conversations.

Well, to be fair, everyone has SMS right out of the box. That's the excuse I hear every time I talk about messengers, because apparently downloading an app is hard.
I don't give a shit. If I have anything sensitive to say I do it in person

well than there goes the facebook and privacy argument out the fucking bag

Didn't realise there was a 1 pc limit. I guess that does suck for your situation. It only recently became available as a pc app as well though. For the longest time it was mobile only. Also, I only use one pc at a time.

Sì amico mio. Facendo gli scongiuri, finora siamo rimasti incolumi.

is that italian? if it is, i recommend you google San Vito de Coto Brus, its the town im from, it was formed by italian refugees in the 50s, a lot of italian culture still present, i love your food

People should talk on the phone. Doesn't get more instant than that.

What happened to the compulsory Italian

There is still room on the wall for at least 5 more

its still in place, there are still many italian families in our small town, my girlfriend is Italian, her grandmother was one of the first to arrive here. Italy seems like an awesome place, if you have the chance, come visit Costa Rica, more specifically San Vito

you know, there was a time when talking to friends was not considered an "inconvenience." it actually was a pleasure. if you can't pull yourself away from your video game, TV, or faggot ass phone apps for 10 minutes to talk to your friends, then you should kill yourself.

Just use Signal or Wire you fucking autists.

XMPP and Matrix and a few more candidates for a protocol that can federate between servers exist.

The problem is only that the commercial social networks are not really trying to federate. They're trying to suck all the other network's users to their own closed off prison and keep everyone there.

>just use the least popular messaging apps out there
>you know, the ones that no one else uses
>haha, autists