Which OS has the best sound quality?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fjomSV4snEY
sound.stackexchange.com/questions/38466/focusrite-latency-drivers-win-vs-mac
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

windows

they all suck use templeos lol

:)) only joking lol

Linux because it has many layers of QUALITY to go through.

Mac, by far.

Remember the golden rule: Mac is best for media. Windows is best for games. Linux is for servers.

i am a linux user, but alsa sux, still ok if you're not an A u D i O p H i L e, there are probably solutions for it as well.
used windows, seemed alright, just werked
and for apple, i've never used an apple computer in my life.

Amiga

Mac
MacOS has the lowest audio latency as well, this is why many professional musicians use Macs

Maybe because they are idiots who can't use anything else. The only thing linux can't do is hardware support, everything else can be fixed quickly.

lol :DDDD

Ever looked at typical musician / sound-engineer setup?? 99% of them have Macs.

Even for listening and audiophile use, Macs are the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=fjomSV4snEY

I can use a non-botnet, system-wide convolution engine on Linux. So Linux it is.

>Even for listening and audiophile use, Macs are the best.
Until you realise how crappy is the sound on MBP.

>The only thing linux can't do is hardware support
yeah who needs hardware support

hardware is for fags

>i have never wrote any driver in my life
I know it, but don't have to be proud of it. Actually it's degrade the value of your argument.

>Until you realise how crappy is the sound on MBP.
nigga pls. it has an excellent DAC. get an external AMP if you have power-hungry phones.

sound.stackexchange.com/questions/38466/focusrite-latency-drivers-win-vs-mac

>shitpost about DAC as something awesome on that chink logic board
>link a crap about a scheduler comparison
meh

t. buttmad Poojeet
kek

Mac is for retards who can't determine the use of a computer without a GUI, Windows is for people that want to get shit done, and Linux is for people who want to control the world.

Linux is for people with far too much time on their hands

mixing engineer here.
doesn't matter in any shape or form when you have an external soundcard/DSP. be it an USB box or a PCI card.

Most recording studios tend to use Apple because mixing engineers are conservative as fuck and AVIDs Pro Tools gives priority to OSX.

> implying os has anything to do with sound quality

Apple' Core audio happens to be very simple to use and extremely stable tho.
you never have to dick around in any configuration with it, like in, say, Linux

there are actually a lot of really good answers here - t. audio / dsp engineer here.

amiga is actually the best for midi as it has the tightest timings in actual hardware

the actual answer for audio seems to be in hardware, particularly firewire soundcards - as the data goes straight from the drive to soundcard because firewire has its own memory controller - usb gets routed through the cpu....

linux sucks because of pulse audio, and very poor firewire audio support but if you persist you can hack something at a very low level with alsa and jack - timeconsuming

windows audio subsystem is quite decent but i always hate all the services and processes running in the background and i dont trust it anymore - my main media server is an i7 with 6tb of HD flac using Jriver Media Centre

64 bit internal processing for volume and loudness curves and 24bit bit perfect wasapi exclusive control is essential

mac is just great, core audio is great, music production is great - probably the best and most correct answer here - but yeah ecosystem - also honorable mention: iOS does sound the right way imho

It's literally the same on all 3 as long as you can output raw PCM data direct to hardware. Windows can do this with Asio, Linux can do this with Alsa or JACK (and Pulse if correctly configured), and Mac can do this by default.

Even if you do put it through some level of mixing, as long as it's outputting 24 bit to give headroom for resampling and volume control, I'd bet $100 not even the most acute listeners would be able to notice any quality degradation.

At least macOS has a usable terminal, I think you switched up Windows and Mac there friendo.

Try it. If you can't tell, it doesn't matter.

>Maybe because they are idiots who can't use anything else.
They are usually fluent in at least one advanced DAW, so I wouldn't say they are idiots.

>MacOS has the lowest audio latency as well

which only matters if you are doing production

literally worthless for most users

Windows, it got better hardware support and professional tools for audio.

windows doesn't even support my soundcard

Well, must be better than a Mac that doesn't support a shit.

probably
i use linux, which supports it ootb, despite being 14 years old

TempleOS

audio is output so fast it breaks the sound barrier, only ascended beings can hear it

I've had a much better time using old hardware with Linux than Windows. Stuff that used to work fine on xp and vista frequently doesn't on newer version, but is fine on Linux.
For example, my soundcard, my printer, my scanner. I bought all pro and office grade stuff forever ago so I wouldn't have to worry about replacing it, but new versions of windows simply don't have available drivers.

it still does the job
it's not like soundcards have gotten any better since 2003

ITT: Linux spergs who think audio professionals would use their OS and windows manchilds mad at a slightly better but still shitty OS.

I don't know if there is an audible difference in "quality" between the 3 os'es, but as someone who is a massive music nerd and a massive computer nerd that Linux is a god awful platform for creating or editing music because A) Jack is a joke B) FOSS music programs are a joke

pirate Windows 7 and pirate some real music software if that's what you intend to do on a computer. Or better yet, just buy a Mac because Macs are the very very very best at music production and I've never been to a pro studio (and I've been to lots, used to be a "musician" in my early 20's) that didn't use Apples to record music

Here's an example that illustrates my attitue toward this:

Say you have a usb audio in/out device that functions on all three operating systems. Try to hear any sound quality difference. Bet you can't. The device may function more or less smoothly but the sound quality shouldn't change between systems when the audio in/out device is the same and the connection is in this case usb. Applications might have an effect on the sound quality though. Windows media player compresses the audio to an average program level as a default setting. A file used in that must be set to read only to keep it from happening. Been happy with pulse in linux and alsa was a pain. Apple was fine but I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. Windows can work if it will let you use it for a bit between updates and warnings.

I use linux for raw recording and then windows systems for processing mixing.