Feeling like a fake dev

Do you ever feel like a fake dev? Like you don't really know what you're doing? I forget how to do shit unless I use it constantly. I can barely remember Java after working on a C# app for a year.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ccIt-qRQBoI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I forget how to do shit unless I use it constantly.
serious question:

why do millennial devs have such inflated egos and shitty herd mentalities, that they wont just take important notes using pen&paper or a simple xls/txt file?

literally why? your brain is not a hard drive, it's prone to forgetting shit.
why? it's not trendy enough? fucking kill yourselves.

this never happens to me.

Hey faggot, why would I bother writing notes when I have internet access? I have to relearn Java all over again and it sucks.

Take the notes. It's not about having the reference, it's about how creating the reference makes you understand the subject better so you no longer need the reference (except occasionally).

I was one of those 'too smart for notes' kids. Did a math degree without taking so much as a pencil to class except on exam days. It was a mistake. Even when you don't need it, take the notes and you'll be that much further ahead of those who need the notes to cope at all.

i'm technically a millennial and shit out notes into txt files all the time

then forget which is which because i'm fucking useless at naming them and they all end up being called "coding shit 12345" etc

That's how languages work. Don't use it for ages and you'll forget a bunch of shit until you dive in and start using it again.

It's the same for natural languages - a foreigner comes to live in the Anglo promised land and after a few years they'll be shit at their mother tongue unless they've been speaking it daily

Dude, fuck off. I used to take hella notes. I would look at them by the end of the semester and not remember a thing I had written. It was surreal looking at my writing and not remembering writing any of it. I gave up on notes in 3rd year.

U r a fag.

I guess you're just hopelessly dumb then.

sometimes

>be looking for first entry level job
>get turned down so ma y times for not having enough experience
>get to 3rd round of interview
>feels good life is not too bad
>about to clock out at my horrible tech support job today
>phone notification
>pick up phone
>sorry user we've decided to go with another candidate

Fucking hell boys. It hurts so much, every time. I just want to give up so the disappointment will stop. This shit has ruined my week again.

Well if you copied notes verbatim then yeah you're going to forget everything.

But if you make your own reference and paraphrase information in a way that you can retain it then you're golden.

U r the fag

This. I'm a 10x developer.

Impostor syndrome, caused by bad self-image.

More or less constantly, but I think that's just normal
I'm not getting fired, must be doing something right

I know this feel.

>first time in college fresh out of high school
>never take notes, never pay attention
>get shit grades and drop out
----4 shitty jobs and years I'll never get back later----
>second time in college
>just show up and write stuff down, spend an hour here and there on homework
>doesn't even feel like work
>95% or better in every class
it's crazy what a difference not being an edgy 19 year old makes

youtube.com/watch?v=ccIt-qRQBoI
You'll feel better by the end.

Freelance, make things by yourself you can display in interviews or on a profile website.

>got my first gig thanks to a shitty grocery app

You have to write them in a way that you can run search on. Preferably even with a search engine and not just crtl+f

I tell you when you're dealing with some government office and the pencilneck at the desk thinks they got rid of you for the day by telling you to get form XCF-89-b long from 10 years ago and you ask him what email it needs to go to..

>work at company for over year
>boss asks me about a feature in our software
>...............

>have to show new hire the ropes
>new guy asks a question regarding our codebase
>...............

Get a better IDE then you barely have to remember

idk if it's only me, but everyone I meet these days is or wants to be a programmer
it's like there's nothing else to do for them younger generations, cause we are automating society...
feels bad, desu

You propley just Friends with nerds. I know no normies that want to be programming they usually do IT.

>why do boomer devs have such inflated egos and shitty herd mentalities, that they wont just take important notes using pen&paper or a simple xls/txt file?
no idea, ask them

Rote knowledge isn't important, your approach to problems and ability to effectively retrieve necessary information is. Also knowing your tools.

I can't tell you how x works but I can find out nearly instantly.

Are you really comparing the mother tongue to programming languages? It doesn't work like that. You don't forget your mother tongue unless you have brain damage. Lurk on researchgate more plz

Taking notes helps you remember the subject better, it's a known fact