Besides security and open things, is there any reasonable reason to migrate to linux?

besides security and open things, is there any reasonable reason to migrate to linux?

Programming is easier on Linux. Network shit is also way easier.

>Network shit
this, windows sometimes doesn't honor routing metric

>Programming is easier on Linux

always hear this meme but never see it backed up in any sufficient way. starting to think it's yet another Sup Forums phrase to parrot.

It's generally a hell of a lot more stable than Windows, especially Xubuntu in my experience.

Linux has better support for doing various things with storage and such and can be customized.

You could deploy the OS to be mainly capable of doing the required file management, running updates over ssh, and basically do nothing else.

Customization is generally a big thing. You quite probably already run a Linux on your NAS, smartphone, router/WLAN AP and so on anyhow.

Installing anything is easy, you can set a programming environment fast and everything just work

I like Linux but there is way too much shit that won't run on it properly. That sucks.

>Want to download library
># package-manager install library
>Done

>Want to link said library
>$ pkg-config --cflags --libs library

>Have shell utilities that aren't fucking garbage
etc.

Feeling's feelings, and their brother.

no it isnt always easy. i easily installed mint but cant install slax for the life of me

Linux subsystem for Windows 10

>Buying linux

>reading comprehension problems
>implying

how is it not backed up?
by the fact 90% of distros come with everything you need and if you need more you can package-manager install it or the fact that windows requires 200 "next" click installs and editing config files to get it working?
idk which is easier

Ignoring the "lol it doesn't come with a proper text editor or compiler why is it so haaaaaaaard :(:(:(:(" memes and getting to the actual programming stuff... When it comes down to raw C/C++, the raw windows API is a mess, you have 20+ classes/functions implementing the same thing and good luck figuring out which one you should be using (until it you figure out you aren't supposed to use it under case X so you have to go and rewrite your whole project). Making GUI applications with MFC is a pain, anything using the network is a nightmare with winsock, dealing with .dlls is hard at first (but becomes more convenient). C# makes this easier but having to learn it adds to the difficulty.
Way easier on Linux since everything is open source, you can just grab some neckbeard's halfassed library for whatever and read a bunch of examples and work from there (especially easier when it comes to making anything with a GUI).
Don't get me wrong, Linux on desktop is a pathetic fucking depressing mess when it comes to usability, but programming on and for Linux is significantly easier.

Oh and don't even get me started on writing hardware drivers for windows vs linux.

Getting my R scripts to work in windows is technically possible, but it is a huge nightmare of hunting down dependencies and hacking them together to work.

?

>more stable than Windows
what the fuck does that even mean?

Try installing any Python library with C stuff in it on Windows and come back to me.

I think he's just using saying that things don't crash as much

The windows system libraries (and associated documentation) make me want to die.

Less bugs and crashes

Distraction free programming environment

Can someone post the "DELETE THIS" linux penguin

If you want to program in C or C++ on windows, you can either use Microsoft's shit C or C++ compiler with their overpriced terrible IDE or you can try to download MinGW and manually manage your libraries, then spend hours debugging linker errors

alternatively, you could just use Cygwin, which is a POSIX environment, like Linux. Cygwin's shell is terrible and its package support is much less than the average Linux distro though. I'm also not sure how to do graphical program through cygwin without x-server emulation.

I like how I can reinstall Linux in 15 minutes if anything breaks. Windows takes forever to install. I can also update without having to restart, which is nice.

also KDE > Windows 7 GUI

Is there any reasonable reason to run anything besides Linux is the real question.
Now that Linux essentially has enough mainstream software supporting it, there is very little reason to use Windows for anything. Even for the few things that don't support Linux (Adobe products, Certain games) Windows isn't really justifiable IMHO. Enough games work on Linux natively, and a lot work through wine quite well. The only major example of a game that needs Windows right now is probably Overwatch.
Photoshop works well in wine, but even then, Photoshop doesn't justify macOS or Windows. There is also GIMP/Inkscape/Krita/Pinta
Video editing? Lightworks or Davinci Resolve. Both are professional level and support Linux.

>Is there any reasonable reason to run anything besides Linux is the real question
I tried freeBSD once. It seemed fine. Most of the open source software I use worked on it.

>The only major example of a game that needs Windows right now is probably
eh there are a few big titles that don't run at all for me. I wish GTAV would run.

>Video editing
Is openshot still shit?

You don't have to migrate. But definitely get into it if you're into coding and software. If you've written a script or two or a program ever you'll appreciate that it exists and find uses for it. Also Bill Gates is in my best estimation is a spoiled agressive shit and that entitiled monopolistic anti-hacker fingerprint is everywhere in microsoft products. Install and maintain it for others for money but don't necessarily limit yourself with it.

The ideology of it can be extreme but it's the differentiation that helps it exist. There was a time when programming wasn't a traded commodity and enthusiasts helped each other out with code.