/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

codecpack.co/download/xy-vsfilter.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JpmK0zu4Mts
twitter.com/AnonBabble

machine learning

Learning Rust, everything seems straightforward and sensible so far.

Thanks for using an anime image, but you forgot the old thread link:

learning perl

This is why we can't have nice things.

Fucking what. Users having more space available is not a license to use it for your shitty app that you can't be bothered to write properly.

>OOP

how is 500mb unacceptable for an IDE?

trying to learn c++ so I do better in my upcoming courses because i hardly paid attention in both my intro classes and barely passed both with D's.
Would retaking those into classes to get a higher grade be worth it?

>500MB for a fucking glorified text editor

Daily reminder that Lisp is the most powerful language in the universe.
If you don't know lisp or its scheme cousin, then you can't call yourself a programmer.

>FP

>politics

On a 10 TB hard drive, a 500 MB binary literally only takes up 0.005% of disk space.

heard the names but don't know much about either

kill yourself, it's a full-fledged development environment, you suck ass if you don't know how to make use of it other than as a text editor, and 500mb should only be a small fraction of your overall physical memory

And I could be filling that space with an episode of animu instead of your shitty program's bloat.

>Lisp is the most powerful language in the universe
What is a "Powerful" language? And in which "universe"?

Whatever, loser.
Lisp binaries are at least 30mb.

suit yourself

this, and it's also slower than python

>IDE babby

So what? It still eats through my usage allowance to download it, it eats up my disk I/O reading it, it eats up my CPU cache running it, and it eats up my disk capacity that could be used to store actual content, not another copy of a web browser engine.

cry harder fag

>I/O
Stopped reading right there.

Powerful = you can mold it to whatever you want.
In all the universes actually.

Not surprising, I'd already made my point by that point.

My latest project is under one megabyte, and that's the debug build.

So... how many copies of the QT core .dll are around on a typical windows computer?

>My latest project is under one megabyte, and that's the debug build.
sounds hardcore

>hardcore
Not especially, it's just not anywhere near as bloated as most software made today.

My python programs are kilobytes big.
Git gud, nigger.

>pajeet

tinyScheme can be compiled down into about a 20K executable

kill yourself retard

My programs don't need a shitty interpreter installed in order to run.

codecpack.co/download/xy-vsfilter.html
>More efficient Clip code (significantly faster + up to 1.8GB reduction in RAM usage when rendering gradients)
>up to 1.8GB reduction in RAM usage when rendering gradients
what was meant by this?

>you can mold it to whatever you want
What do you mean by "whatever"? You can't possibly claim this is true as it's currently written.
>In all the universes actually.
So even in the universe where Lisp was precisely defined to be the least powerful language?

Unless you want an easy way to update them without replacing the entire binary

That's not very nice, user. Why don't you channel that energy into something productive, like making your software less bloated?

OPCode "1" takes two arguments : a number and an address
usage example :

address content
6510 1 ; opcode
6511 420 ; number
6512 10220 ; destination address
6513 9666 ; extra address ??

what happens at 6513 ?

you could, if you were a god and huge lisp projects were scalably manageable

you're a joke for comparing your shitty software to a full-fledged IDE

What is this "update" you're referring to? Is that what you have to do if you write buggy software?

Your programs are jokes that will never be used in the real world.
If your compiled language doesn't take its time compiling your program, then your program is useless.

Threadly reminder that dlang-chan is not dead; she's going to have her GC tumor removed (eventually); and she's super duper cute and easy to prototype in! Say something nice about her, /dpt/!

Who the hell goes around with a bloody 10 TB hard drive? And some people still have to deal with a 5 MB/minute download rate, not to mention that an IDE shouldn't be anywhere near a third of the size of a Linux ISO.

Not if it's compiled.

>My compilation of Linux is 4.8MiB
>user can't even fit his text editor in less space than this

The elitism is sickening. Is it autism? One would think as a "good programmer" you would want to help others get on your level.

How do you determine if a world is "real"? Am I in a "real world" right now?

>Sup Forums
>good anything

>Linux
Sounds like an IQ problem.

No, you're shit. Don't post here until you get good.

totally programming related good jaaab gooood jab

Throught metaobject protocol and metaprogramming, you could write whatever you want.
Metaobject protocol allow you to change the actual implementation of the language
Metaprogramming allows you to DSL.

No, they're called new features Mr. Pajeet

@60553955
>The elitism is sickening
Perhaps you should return to your home website then.

>he thinks linux is comparable to an IDE

You should all try Julia! So Lisp-like, that code using the GTK wrapper library have something like 30 macro expansions in 20 lines! (Though it did admittedly work very well for me with no other issues).

In clojure, how do I decide which functions to export in a file? I have a bunch of utility functions that I defn'd but I only want to export one big function.

Juali dev pls go.

What do you even need all of that fucking space for?
Are you going to defend VS being 20GiB or whatever the fuck is is?

>you could write whatever you want
What is "whatever"? This can't be true unless you specify what "whatever" means.
>Metaobject protocol allow you to change the actual implementation of the language
>Metaprogramming allows you to DSL.
My own language already does this. Why would I need an otherwise inferior and slower language like Lisp then?

Then you should count all your dependencies as well. I highly doubt that you can fit an ELF/PE loader and a libc along with your program in under 1 MB.

>My own language
hehehehehehhehehehehehehehhehehehheeh

why don't you make a 1mb IDE and become a multimillionaire entrepreneur like those jetbrains fags

I guess you wouldn't have any bugs since nobody is using your toy hobby software

@60554025
>What is "whatever"?
goddamn the autism is unparalleled

>his language of choice doesn't have generics that can have generic arguments

Lisp is turing complete, so "whatever" in that sense.
But these facilities make the process easy.
There's no need to kill yourself by repeating yourself too often like in many procedural languages.
Why, because you can mold it.

This is why Haskell Curry advocated dynamic typing.

inb4 what is generics

What is generics.

>--procedural languages
I see, so you confuse imperative languages with procedural languages. That's all I needed to determine your incompetency. Thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=JpmK0zu4Mts

Either define all instruction encodings as fixed width (equal to or greater than the longest opcode/operand combination of any instruction) or define the next instruction as beginning immediately after all required operands to the preceding instruction.

Nobody can write code that doesn't need updates. Even professional projects like Windows and Linux require regular updates.

Why should something with the functionality of a scriptable text editor be bigger than an entire operating system?

What is a ``Generics"?

wish i had a gf

>the functionality of a scriptable text editor
ahahahahahahaha stay delusional fag and enjoy writing those scripts to get even a fraction of the functionality of an out of the box IDE

Samefag

Nigger

Why would someone advocate for something nonexistent?

What are these supposed features that you're talking about?

gfs are some fucking normie bullshit they're not that great in reality.

>ribbit version of "normalfag"
I don't want reddit stink nearby. Fuck off.

Why would you choose dynamic typing over HKTs?

fuck this. /dpt/ is fucking ruined because of 2 or 3 """programmers""" with severe autism.
I'm going to 8ch.

uh, so how do I stop polluting the global namespace in clojure? any idiot can come along and break my program by defining the wrong name:
(defn my-test [x y] (+ x y))
(defn my-fun [] (println (str (my-test 1 2))))
^ test.clj
user=> (load-file "test.clj")
#'user/my-fun
user=> (my-fun)
nil
user=> (defn my-test [x y] 50)
#'user/my-test
user=> (my-fun)
nil
how do I prevent this?

Ada doesn't have this problem

>Why would you choose dynamic typing over x?
No reason since "dynamic typing" doesn't exist and can't exist.

Forigve me, I barely use other languages that I don't really care much about what their types are.

you're clearly the redditor, that's why you're so insecure about it and associate non-reddit things with reddit because the only place you saw them was reddit

Because dynamic types let you encode runtime information into the types.

In you statically typed language of choice, can an ellipse become a circle if you set the axes to be equal?

I wish I didn't see your kind here on a daily basis. I truly wish.
But as reality currently stands that doesn't seem possible so it's obvious that I would learn about your kind.

>trying this hard to sell us Visual Studio

Where is your referral link my pajeet friend I wish to purchase right away to get all these amazing functionality things you speak of.

Actually I worked somewhere that made it's own OCaml IDE, and insisted we all use it though for working at home in my spare time I was able to write an emacs mode that did the exact same thing in one afternoon

>I wish I didn't see your kind here on a daily basis. I truly wish.
then fuck off you don't have to spend all of your time posting your garbage in /dpt/

Computers these days come with something called a "web browser". It lets you access these things called "websites" which are basically like folders, except they're on somebody else's computer that your computer connects to over a network. You can go to a "website" where other people post their scripts, and download them to your computer to use them for yourself if they suit your needs. You don't need to write everything from scratch.

>dynamic types let you ...
How can something nonexistent let you do something? Are you saying that if it existed, then you could do anything with it?
>statically typed language of choice
This reduces to "language of choice"

define dynamic typing

pls respond