Windows is in trouble

The only Microsoft product I use on my Windows machine is Visual Studio, and I'm not developing for Windows when I use it. I also use Microsoft Word sometimes, just because it has template documents, otherwise I stick to LibreOffice or Google Docs on Ubuntu.

Windows Mobile is dead as a doorknob. Windows server has no presence outside of enterprise. What reason do consumers have to use Windows?

Gayming, at least until someone discovers a way to efficiently run DX12 libraries on GNU/Linux.
To be honest, I haven't tried gaming on Linux yet, but most of the games I own on Steam claim they have a GNU/Linux port (like Terraria for example), but I haven't tested them yet.

That, and the fact that most people still think that GNU/Linux is 99% three screens of words in a CLI/Terminal just to install, say, Google Chrome. They still think it's not user-friendly while (in most cases) it's really the opposite. If it isn't that, then maybe it's the comfort of just running a .exe file to get everything working (including viruses, as well).

Hell, some even claim that programming is more productive and less time-consuming in ANY distro.

In the real world, nobody uses the Office-wannabes because they can't render Word docs right, which is what most of the world uses.

True on Windows server, but let's not pretend that the enterprise market is a small thing or that most Linux server users would use a paid product.

First someone has to find a way to run DX12 in windows, it's dead in the water.

>What reason do consumers have to use Windows?
Pre-installs

>Windows is in trouble.
>because I don't use it

Windows will be dominating desktop OS for at least 20 years more.
Bill Gates will cross $100 billion before putin is replaced.
ReactOS users are communist and they will be killed.

I thought Tails was the distro of communism

What about the earlier DXs? Do they work at least on Wine?

Dude, MS makes more money than ever

Price of money has greatly been reduced

minimal support, moving towards usable. DX9 is fully supported but there's some missing specific DX10 shit and DX11's probly pretty similar.

Kek what an argument

>First someone has to find a way to run DX12 in windows
almost pissed myself

windows isn't in trouble as long as it's still the default operating system installed on pcs, which will be for the foreseeable future

?

>First someone has to find a way to run DX12 in windows
>almost pissed myself

Same reaction, on both counts.

>DX12
More trouble than it's worth and it's MS-specific, DX is dying.

Different minor revisions of Word can fail to render Word documents properly.

If formatting is critical such as in prepress, Word isn't used as the file format nor is it used to prepare the documents.

Came here to post this

Almost all audio programs and plugins have a Windows version, and a lot of them aren't available for other platforms.

It's very rare to find a plugin that doesn't have a Windows version.

They're easier to pirate as well.

why is it so hard to implement dx12 on linux? it already has vulkan, just implement dx12 function calls with it, they are almost identical

>I stick to LibreOffice or Google Docs
Willingly sticking to shit is sure interesting.

Both Libre and Open office are objectively bad replacements for MS Office. Google Docs' main perk is working online, using it as your main Office program is stupid.

If your software necessities can be fulfilled by a generic text editor, it doesn't matter more powerful software has no point in existing. There are still people who want to get their work done fast and efficiently.

Only excel is really ahead in the office suite, maybe the collaboration stuff. Either way that's online too, without google.

>>I don't use MS shit, therefore nobody else needs to use MS shit, therefore MS is in trouble.
Great logic OP.

>What about the earlier DXs? Do they work at least on Wine?

There is movement toward implementing all graphics and compute apis on top of Vulkan. That is probably how all of the DX apis are going to be implemented on other platforms in the end.

This is going to allow porting almost everything away from windows, and all the development effort is going to be shared. (all imho).

>why is it so hard to implement dx12 on linux? it already has vulkan, just implement dx12 function calls with it, they are almost identical
Because DX12 is closed. It's better to prevent DX12 adoption as much as possible. Vulkan is close to killing DX12.

post link to a doc file that can't be displayed properly in google docs (if it happens all the time, this shouldn't be a hard task)

>In Q3 2016, Microsoft saw $22.1 billion in revenue, net income of $5.0 billion, and earnings per share of $0.62. For Q3 2017, analysts had expected Microsoft to earn $23.6 billion in revenue and earnings per share of $0.70. In short, the company surpassed results for last year’s quarter, met analyst expectations for revenue, and outperformed estimates for earnings per share
Microsoft is dead.

Wasn't Red Star Linux the choice of crushing communist dictatorships everywhere?