Is Manjaro Linux good?

Is Manjaro Linux good?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Antergos/Cnchi)
github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/tree/master/antergos)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Its fine. I think overall though Arch > Antergos > Manjaro

>Based off of Arch but without wasting time setting it up
>Have access to the AUR
>Now is Systemd-less by default
Yes, its great

This.

>systemd-less by default

There's an option to use systemd in the installer, right?

Uh... no it isn't.

no

Just because they have OpenRC builds does not mean every flavor does not have Systemd.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

its not

It's quite nice. i3 version installs with ~650 packages. It's basically the bare minimum arch install to have everything working out of the box. And it delays arch packages for a few weeks and only merges stable packages in their repos, + developers making detailed announcements for every roll out = a very stable system, only a few weeks behind arch.

Yes
I respect your wrong opinion
Arch>Manjaro>Antergos
>systemdless by default
wrong, there's a build for openrc xfce but thats not official

>one openrc build out of 50
>it's systemdless by default
ok

I said he was wrong my guy do you not have any reading comprehension?

its for people who are too stupid to install arch

Shit, didn't realize every build didn't have that
I could see them phasing out Systemd support across all builds at some point though

Manjaro can't be purely stripped down to "just arch"
It's really fucking good but not flawless.

I'd say if you're the slow to learn type, It's a really good starting point; however I've noticed that it has some "windows issues" in that sometimes trying to simplify things actually makes them harder to do (partitioning) or makes it harder to warp your head around because of the back and forth between terminal and GUI(adding repos? I forget where this happened to me.)

I'm more of the "Trial by fire" type, Arch was my first (GNU/)Linux and found it easier just to learn the commands and how everything worked and stuff.
Partitioning/ pacman stuff is just easier in the term.

It's my favorite color, so it must be. In fact it's one of the things that sold me out on the Arches.

yeah once systemd alternatives get decent openRC will be on its way. I recently tried it and the OpenRC init system is not a whole lot better but my autism rests easier for some reason

That's the spirit.

Anyone know a way to switch from SystemD to OpenRC on an Existing Manjaro install?

bump

I use it for lightweight virtual machines. Pretty nice actually.

Manjaro user here. Avoid KDE, XFCE is where it's at.

XFCE is deprecated

>I respect your wrong opinion
>Arch>Manjaro>Antergos
Antergos = Arch with an installer (github.com/Antergos/Cnchi) and a theme/misc repo (github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/tree/master/antergos)
Manjaro = Arch based with custom repos

How can Antergos possibly be worse than Manjaro...

KDE is utter shit. It's almost like Windows.

do you know what else is deprecated? you're face

antergos is better

Why avoid KDE?

Wait, What if I updated from older version that used systemd will this break the system?

>I use it for lightweight virtual machines
As a guest or a host?

It won't delete Systemd.
There is a SystemD and an OpenRC Version now.

Is there a practical reason to use Arch/Manjaro/Antergos/etc other than feeling leet?

Serious question, not trolling

Looks good but it's heavy, counter intuitive and goes against the principle of simplicity of Manjaro.

Latest packages and AUR.
You can try fedora as well.

How stable manjaro is?
I haven't updated in a very long time.
Is it safe to run -Syu?

Yes. Yes.
I don't get how can Arch get so glitchy while Manjaro doesn't.

Why does manjaro force "Manjaro-System" package to be updated first?

I had a bad experience with manjaro, after I downloaded a package, when starting I got stuck up at splash screen.

Manjaro dev team lets Arch users beta test for a bit before the let the update on their repos.

I had that too, two months ago when a lib32 bullshit update failed. Going to console and -Syu then reboot worked wonders.

Set up a VM with it today on a Win 10 machine to mess around with and also as a kind of personal desktop inside Win 10 (don't like using multiple accounts) because family members sometimes use this PC.

Like it so far, easier than most Lincucks I used so far.

>Going to console and -Syu then reboot worked wonders
How?
Did you chroot?

Is this a serious question?
>what is Ctrl Shift F2

It's great.

It's like what Ubuntu wanted to be, but without all the crap stuff.

the i3WM version is perfect for me. I'd say this distro is perfect for beginners and regular linux users. Arch and Manjaro both have great documentation.

I'm sorry, there seem to be a misunderstanding.
What does Ctrl+Shift+F2 do for you and at what stage of booting??
because in my case the system stuck at splash screen.

absolutely safe

So what I'm guessing this thing just has all of the arch binaries but older?

Fuck off stallman, it's the name of the distribution.

You could try to only boot to run level 3 (multi user mode with networking but without running X).

Wenn you see the grub boot menu press e to edit the boot config.

Scroll down to the line starting with "linux", search for the word "quiet" in that line and remove it, then type "3". Also remove the word "splash" if it exists in that line. All words without quotes.

Press F10 to boot.

Manjaro should boot to terminal now. Now try to repair your system.

Don't worry about changing the line back it will restore to it's default settings on the next boot.

Hope that helps.

Manjaro sucks you cant even use a second monitor

Thanks.
It happened about a year ago.
I've re-installed since then.

Manjuice Linux is one of the worst distros you could ever use.
>they let their SSL certificate expire
>twice
>in a year
If they can't even manage their SSL certificates, do you expect them to be able to handle a full blown GNU/Linux distro?

>security
Manjuice's security model basically looks like this
>pull whole Arch repository and push it into Unstable
>let it sit there for 2 weeks
>push Unstable into Testing
>let it sit there for 2 weeks
>push Testing into Stable
Where is the problem here exactly?
They don't distinguish between security updates and general bug fixes/version increments.
So in order to get fixes for terrible exploits such as Heartbleed or a Linux version of the SMB1 exploit, you'll have to wait around 4-6 weeks for the update to trickle from Manjuice Unstable down to Manjuice Stable.
Have fun using an inherently secure device during that period while the fixed packages ripen in Unstable and Testing for literally nothing.

If you want to have all the features of Arch, including the AUR, but with none of the hassle, use Antergos.

>Arch > Antergos
Antergos is Arch with a few extra packages, which mostly aren't even installed when you install the system.

>Linux version of the SMB1 exploit
That thing doesn't exist.

>I don't get how can Arch get so glitchy
When was the last time you actually used Arch?

>reading comprehension
It was an example.

Last week. Screenfetch came with two lines of warning telling me there were packages in need of updating while everything was fine.

Use realistic examples.
Like LostInTranslation attack, or ffmpeg thumbnail exploit.

are you sure that wasn't just an issue with screenfetch?

The only time I've ever had pacman break something was when I installed an AUR package that had a dependency that no longer existed.

when screenfetch is broken, user, that's a sign of things to come
specially with arch

That's completely false. They push out security updates as fast as everyone else. The fact that this has been true for over a year and a half shows that you have no idea what you are talking about, and only have the capacity to spout memes.

Manjaro (AUR but also very stable) > Antergos (Arch without autism) > Arch

>principle of simplicity of Bloatjaro
LMAO
M
A
O

*Your

It's not near as bloated as the majority of distros. Something like 700ish packages and about 400mb of mem used in a new install.

yes it fucking is, it's as bloated as Mint and Ubuntu
Comes with VLC, Firefox, Steam, Libreoffice, hexchat, pidgin, thunderbird, hp device manager (wtf), deadbeef and probably wine

Use manjaro architect and install a minimal manjaro, faggot.

nigger-tier evasion

mes with about 2200. So no, it is not near as bloated as the majority of distros. Don't need a program? Delete it, it takes mere seconds. Unless you don't know how, but then you wouldn't know how to """""set up"""" arch anyway.

*Ubuntu co-

>It's not bloated
>Yes it is, here's why
>SO JUST DELETE THAT GOD
You are a special kind of stupid

Nine (9) programs, nine (9) seconds. You will spend more time than that with any other distro setting it up. It's nine (9) little clicks, is that really too hard to wrap your brain around?

>principle of simplicity of Bloatjaro

Some people want a functional system, I knw that must be hard to understand that. Also 700 < 2200. Try harder with your meager criticism over nine (9) programs.

What's so bad about Antergos?
Why do you prefer Memejaro?

antergos = arch + installer + pretty theme

manjaro = a whole different distro based on arch with its own repos and nice tools with fantastic hw detection and automatic configuration. Also manjaro architect is nice.

If you want a rolling release why not use opensuse tumbleweed?
It's updated more frequently and undergoes the same (if not better) quality of testing before a package is updated.

Because fedora is better.

> fantastic hw detection and automatic configuration
as long as you don´t have an optimus card
manjaros hw detection+autoconfig is more likely to fail you than arch

Okay, but how?

Install the openrc version and keep your /home

specially if you have an optimus card, like I have. Bulmblebee up and running and playing games from a Live session launching the game with primusrun

>Why does manjaro force "Manjaro-System" package to be updated first?
I use Manjaro and I absolutely can not stand this. BUT I use unstable which does not use this (Manjaro unstable is synced with Arch stable) the repos are 6-12 hours behind Arch so it's pretty damn close and if anything happens there will be plenty of stuff on the Arch forums to help resolve a problem but if anything goes wrong that I can't fix I can just revert to the stable repos for a while. I don't expect to need to though but it's there so I feel super comfy about it.

if any part of this were true maintaining a stable manjaro would be as difficult as maintaining a stable arch.

>making something up
>it's an example
>i kno inglush

FOR THE LAST TIME IF YOU WANT TO USE ARCH BUT ARE SCARED OF THE INSTALL JUST USE ARCH-ANYWHERE

but did you consider that i don´t want to use arch?
just something similar?

I used it for a few months how to last bility problems because of KDE. might give this destroy another chance since I decided to move to Mate. emphasis on might, I'm a write fag who plays video games on the side. I don't really care about having the latest packages. I'm not sure what Manjaro could offer me that Debian doesn't have.

I did consider that but I don't want to deal with unexpected issues and time I spend configuring Arch Linux it's time I could spend working or enjoying myself.

It's not the install, but the lack of functionality after you install it. I understand about making your own system, but the majority of users have no idea all of the packages they need. That's the issue, not the install, at all.

Why are people openly adopting different alternatives to working things solely too sooth "autism". Is this the after effect of that "weaponized autism" I've been hearing about?

just werks on my machine, maybe it was user error

what about revenge installer?

> (OP)
>its for people who are too stupid to install arch

Arch? That's short for "I'm to stupid to install LFS"?

Have you used Arch-Anywhere? It lets you install as much functionality as any other distro.

I find it weird that any time Arch is discussed, people only mention Manjaro, Antergos and Arch itself but never speak of Parabola GNU/Linux.

I don't, memes aside most people can't be bothered using only "free" alternatives.

most GNU/Linux users are using chromium, steam and blobbed kernel, other than that their system is fully free already

It's excellent. Been using it for over a year now. Stable, simple to use and no issues.