Still the best language

>Still the best language
>And it keeps getting better
Why do brainlets hate on C++? Do they think we're still all writing C++98?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S60303803
gist.github.com/bkaradzic/2e39896bc7d8c34e042b
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenspun's_tenth_rule
en.m
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it keeps getting shittier, especially the syntax. by 2040 it will be an unreadable pile of special characters

I don't really like the idea of a language so utterly complex that it lets you do things 10 different ways, none of them are compatible with each other except when they ARE, and you're actively discouraged from using more than one of them at a time.

Meanwhile C just keeps getting better~

Does it support emojis yet?

it's the Ω language. God power!

Sup Forums is for discussion of video game hardware only, what are you guys are talking about

less maintainable than PHP

>template
>auto
god i absolutely resent these
why did they had to introduced them there a shit

What a oldfag.

Wtf does that code do? It looks evil

>hating on templates
Also, auto makes smart pointers much nicer.

>smart pointers
why did they have to add these too?

C++ is one long extended sequence of mistakes

>give me less choice
>I'm too retarded to use the right tool for the right job
C++ is like an expert's toolbox. 10 different tools for hundreds of different problems.

Meanwhile shit like C is one hammer for every problem

>why did they have to add these too?
Because of your famous double free and memory leaks.

>smart pointer
whats wrong with regular pointers? are people to retarded to malloc and free? or new and delete?

It will have a usable standard library by C++ 75

Most people these days are afraid of "raw" pointers and allocating arbitrary amounts of memory and then casting to the type you want, because that's literally what malloc does.
They're usually webdevs.

C++ is what you use when you try to use C but get really insecure about newer languages' built-in features while suffering from inferiority complex.

Apparently. Insecure code is everywhere.

Don't worry user, you can still malloc/calloc/free to your heart's content. You don't HAVE to use them.

>are people to retarded to malloc and free?
Clearly they are or you wouldn't have weekly reports of double-free exploits.

>They're usually webdevs.
cant they just keep to themselves? why do they have to ruin OUR language

>You don't HAVE to use them.
i do though, one of my superiours is wanting me to start using those because im the only one still used malloc and free in our work

>not being aware of your own code

are you this guy?
warosu.org/g/thread/S60303803

>I never call any code I didn't write

One hammer that works in a predictable way, that everyone knows how to use if you need help with it, and that swings the same way on every platform.

The only reason C/C++ still exists because of majority of the code in today's operating systems are written with them and nobody is brave enough to rewrite the entire thing with the next high-level language. So if you want to interact with the OS in a natural way, C/C++ is way to go. At least until we create code-monkey AIs that can rewrite the entire thing in a modern language.

I like how it is fast and optimized, but it is also ugly as fuck and requires so much effort.

Why use C++ for everyday applications when I can just use Cython, pypy or whatever and get close to C-speed just in a couple of days instead of couple of weeks? (Excluding mission critical operations like satellite systems etc.)

RAII also works for C, once you hide your memory management behind
something_something_new
something_something_free

you won't have too much problems.

And with attribute cleanup you can autofree stuff once it goes out of scope.

kek no though im an other autist who does this
>technical debt

right forgot about other people i work low level implementations for embedded systems firmware so nothing is not in house code or how its called

> RAII also works for C
You don't know what RAII is, do you?

> C++
> How to do less with far more

If it gets any more bloated it will explode.

Many people are faster at writing C++ code than whatever scripting shit is hot at the moment.

Python speed is a meme, its good for some minimal scripting and thats it. The majority of software is already slow as fuck while throwing more resources down the drain.

I somehow doubt that.

It's funny that every somehwat serious c++ projects tends to stay way from every ""nice"" feature like overloading or metaprogramming and ends writing it's own lightweight stl version

lol bullshit

Useless comment. Feel free to point out where I'm wrong or stop wasting my time

The same fucking deal. If you know C++ it is fine, but if I am a newcomer why the fuck should I learn it when there is an easier cost-efficient option? (Except javascript, fuck javascript and all of the webdevs and their bitch ass frameworks and shit)

It is not a meme, you can literally compile Python with Cython compiler. People are just fucking lazy, they are using some simple if-else, while, for constructs w/ default interpreter and all of a sudden they see themselves as Python Overlords. There is bash scripting for that kind of shit.

Python =/= CPython

I am still writing in C++98...

LOL Look at this faggot!
I bet you are as retarded as this retard
gist.github.com/bkaradzic/2e39896bc7d8c34e042b
Seriously if you cannot write sepples or change to better language you should just kill yourself.

>when I can just use Cython, pypy or whatever and get close to C-speed
a. you can't
>inb4 muh trivial, numeric benchmark
b. why Python if there are languages that are faster to write and to run

Well...
>still no modules, a feature that should have been in there from day one, using headers only for legacy C support
>JUST NOW they have std::variant included when they just should have supported std::string in unions from the beginning
>there are at least 3 ways to pass function references, but they are either slow or ugly
>compilers are still slow, a big part because of headers
>still no functional package manager
>all kinds of template shit instead of simple compile time execution + AST manipulation API
>one of you faggots told me that the random number generators are garbage

You can. There's cython and c-api in python.

QT is kinda making me like C++. So far it seems superior to GTK.

Your post indicate that you're a C++ developer. Stick with that language please.

QT is pretty based

You can't.
By the time you get remotely fast in cython you are no longer dealing with semantically correct Python. Similar applies to PyPy, except the situation is more hopeless in general.
And bindings won't help you, as function calls easily become a bottleneck and you have to touch C again.

It is. By a long way.

C is great and all but I'm starting to realize that it should stick with very low level processes, ones that the user doesn't have to interact with.

>C++/CX C++/CLI C++11 C++17
They themselves don't know what they are doing.

C++ is so tough that I gave up.

And C++ for everything else?

If we're talking about outside of the terminal, yeah.

GUI?

Definitely

>want to make small application for personal use
>figure "I don't have a ton of C++ experience, so why not get some practice?"
>decide to use C++
>Google "C++ get files in a directory"
>Stackoverflow thread top result
>click it
>"C++ doesn't support this."
>say fuck it and write it in C# in 20 minutes

I just checked and the SO thread was updated to inform people that C++ finally supports directories in C++ 17.

It only took 40 years...

There are better language that C++ for that.

>You can't.
For 80% of the everyday programming scenarios, it is more than enough. And if your needs fall in that 20%, and you need to squeeze the performance out of your CPU then it can be defined as a mission critical operation. Then yeah, C might be a better option.

Say I am programming a bruteforcer program for some pentesting scenario, I don't need to write everything in C. I can just use a C library for key generation, and Python for everything else. And if I am losing 10% of the performance due to some bottlenecks for the sake of simplicity, so fucking be it.

And if you are really fucking crazy when it comes to performance, there is always the Assembly option. In theory, it might be even faster than C. But yeah...

So I guess it all comes down to your needs and priorities etc.

Or you just use a modern compiled languages that is not only less error prone to write than Python - and let's not even talk about C because it's a garbage language - but also will never run into this 20% problem that requries rewriting your application since it usually is such a core part of the application like a spatial/rendering viewport with a lot of data behind it that the user has to interact with in realtime. (Screw your nonsense pentesting input work output scenario.)
Instead of reverting back to ignoring the problem and hoping your next C library/browser update will speed it up 10% so the user might be less inclined to complain, but actually this improvement will never come because you can't fix a broken, bottlenecked layer architecture.

Tell me a compiled language that has the same simplicity as Python and is not a meme.

>inb4 Rust

>feel for the Rust meme
Nice one pajeet

D or golang(if you are degenerate), for example. C# or Java work as well. All of those are better options than Cython. OCaml. Swift.
>inb4 Rust
Rust.
>meme
Python is a meme, along with your pentesting example, data ""science"", deep learning and simple IO cycles that were a thing 30 years ago.

>feel

The language is a botnet, meme and CIA nigger.

>t. rustfag

I unironically love c++ but

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenspun's_tenth_rule

>en.m.wikipedia.org
Leave, phoneposter.

Call me crazy, but I think that's a point in C's favor.

ok, jerry

>en.m
stopped reading right there

Can't they just create an easy readable language?

>man readdir

it already exists, it's called C

Write equivalent code to in C, let's see how readable it is.

First explain to me what that monstrocity does then I'll write you something.

I wish this weren't true

You cant have an intelligent conversation about programming languages with a C++ developer because they are all fanatics who just want to shoot down every other language.

Bjarne Stroustrup is the ONLY language designer I know who spends all his time in language wars trying to prove his language is better. Every other designer of every other major language are humble guys who can accept other languages. Bjarne wants everyone to stop using other languages and just use his language because he is on an ego trip and simply wants to maintain C++ as the ONLY available option.

I dont have time for language wars, I use whatever language is the best, and C++ is being over-used simply because major companies are afraid to try replacement languages

>Linux only

>be me
>learn programming C->C++->C#/Java
>use only OOP languages
>try Python
>it's fucking hard
How can I adapt to non-POO programming, everything feels weird

>C
>POO

What's hard about Python, anyway?

that wasn't what I meant, C was just the first programming language I've been taught, as a way of introducing programming and have c++ and POO as a follow up.

>What's hard about Python, anyway?
After using such extensive usage of POO concepts in all of my programming experience, having such a rudimentary POO system makes programming in Python harder for me, I haven't been able to learn it properly

>pic
that's not C++17.

it's an unnecessarily complicated way to allocate a unique_ptr with a custom deleter.

Web developers don't use c++. Also, our language? You mean basement dwellers?

And a lot of times you have to maintain code you didn't write. Have you ever programmed anything other than autistic console applications?

>try Python
>it's fucking hard
That's because Python is insanely idiosyncratic, its not a good fucking language to use unless you're only ever going to use Python.
Also it is a POO language, everything can be treated as an object in Python.

Basically, don't fucking bother with it.

What? I distinctly remember writing a program in C++ that does a tree display of all files on a partition as a homework in college in 2010.

It has been in boost in a long time.
Why do you need a language specific way to do something that will always be OS dependent?

>CX, CLI
That's Microshit's thing

Daily reminder if you use boost/Qt/awesomium or any other framework/lib that is the size of the entire andromeda galaxy you are worse than pajeets writing Java/Python because they accept they're retarded.

C is godmode, C++ is bloated piece of shit where people absorb planets and then that overhead gets halved just because its native and compiled with C++ so you end up being 10% faster than Java.

>not using QT
It's pretty based.

QT is probably the worst designes lib.

Name a better one.

> mission critical operations like satellite systems

Spook detected.

Why you'd want to use a language that isn't memory safe on a satellite is beyond me, user.

For embedded and safety critical, there is C. For everything else, there's rust

c suck for bigger systems

Because apart from Ada/SPARK, it's the only viable choice for writing formally verified software, cuck.

> rust

Get the fuck out of here with that SocJus-pushed crap.

most C++ programmers wont even touch code like your picture so fuck off.

It's superior to C++ in every way and language≠community.

Go back to >>>/leddit/ plz.
Ryst babbies are not welcome here.

>It's superior to C++ in every way
List them.

> cuck

I said spook as someone that works for an Intelligence Agency, not the retarded political science wankery definition Sup Forums uses it for.

> only viable choice for writing formally verified software

Maybe for very simple programs? Formal verification for complicated programs isn't a thing. Satellites strike me as something complicated.

You promote the language? You promote the community. They'll dictate what norms are permitted in all governance and community and convention spaces.

I'm not touching SocJus Rust.

no, qt is easy, qt is in all modern cars, qt gives you 10 FPS lag on two simple gauges that indicate speed, thats because Qt is EASY to write, because it has shit ton of overhead.

I will never understand how people can spend 100k+ on a car and then turn it on just to see 10 FPS display speed gauge, all because of codemonkeys who are unable to use OpenGL and simple trigonometry. Instead they use Qt and absorb entire planet into something that has complexity of a task made for 1st grade. All because of hurr durr my time to market and ease of use.