Headphone purchase advice

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/desktop-objective2-with-odac/
youtube.com/watch?v=Lm-NZwzPuPY
rode.com/microphones/procaster
youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4XuslCJe4
pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/
innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

repostan from last thread
i bought myself philips fidelio m2bt:s for 150 euroshekels. i needed something i could use in public without looking like a massive autist (as i found out my akg k7xx:s do exactly this). How'd i do /hpg/?

>snap

Subtle, and triggered.

>
>[Sennheiser] closed headphones are garbage.

Why do people say this? I really like my HD598Cs and HD 380 Pro. What are they hearing that I'm not?

Anyone tried snapheiser HD 461?
Need some comfortable lightweight over ear """cans""" for office use.

>HD 598Cs
Kek. Please never recommend this muddy piece of garbage.

>HD598C

They are absolutely disgusting. I'm not being funny, but you mustn't have tried decent headphones before.

Mentally ill user, go fucking outside.

This thread is another cancer. You've destroyed /hpg/.

Kill yourself you mentally ill piece of shit.

Can someone recommend me a DAC+AMP?
I live in the US, and will only use it on my desktop.
>Budget: less than $500

>Repostan

>Budget
$100-$200
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
All day driver
>Sound signature
Neutral

Need either extremely good isolating IEMs or active noise cancelling to preserve hearing.

NFB-11

Instead of being so easily triggered of anything against Sennheiser, why don't you stop being so fucking delusional instead?

What the fuck are you talking about lmao. They are genuinely terrible headphones. Are you going to cry?

What about some S2?

They sound muddy as fuck, I say this as a HD600 shill too.

Does that tube plug straight into your mind?

This. I own the 600's and the HD598C is absolute garbage. Genuinely the worst 'expensive' headphone I have ever heard.

My hearing must be shot or something, because I didn't hear the mud you're complaining about, and when I tried a friend's HD600 w. Schiit stack I didn't hear a big improvement.

I have heard something I'd describe as muddy with super cheap headphones like the MDR-ZX100 - a lack of clarity with the different sounds kinda blending together. Is that what you're talking about?

I do think the HD 380 Pro is better than the 598Cs, but I find them both acceptable.

Bass bias. I suspect a lot of the closed ear Sennheisers are being aimed more at the Beats crowd. HD598Cs are advertised with a frequency range of 10-28000Hz which is lops off a good portion of the higher ranges that equivalently priced headphones can reach.

>when I tried a friend's HD600 w. Schiit stack I didn't hear a big improvement.
I think your hearing IS shot

I didn't mention the word muddy, that other guy did. Honestly if you owned the 600's, or even used them for two days straight, then switched to the HD598C, you would absolutely know what we're talking about. Everyone has an opinion, and there are many cheap headphones that sound good for the money, but the HD598C honestly sound vile.

>a frequency range of 10-28000Hz which is lops off a good portion of the higher ranges

>commonly stated range of human hearing is 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

???

>friend's HD600 w. Schiit stack I didn't hear a big improvement
Improvement over what?

What's the consensus?

He means over the HD598C.

Okay, vile how? When people complain about treble rape with some headphones I get that, but I'm not hearing what you're complaining about.

Human hearing range varies quite a lot between people and most headphones are have something of a standard distribution shape to how efficiently they can replicate sounds. A wider range means more audible frequencies fall into the ideal replication range and fewer audible frequencies on the high and low end of the bell curve, thus less clipping.

Nice headphones for the price.

First of all they're closed and the bass is weak. Secondly the overall tone just sounds off. There are many headphones that are good in their own way, but you can criticize the bass, the lows or the high's etc. I'm not here to argue. Try and borrow your friends 600's for a full day, then go back to your headphones. That's all I have to say.

If you could wipe your headphone/amp/dac slate clean and get all your money back, what would you do different?

Not trying to argue, just understand, and thanks for the feedback.

What are the best headphones you own right now?

So for maximum volume and nig bass do I go PortaPro or SR950?

I'm basically looking for something that sounds like Beats for less than $50.

Those stated ranges are completely meaningless. They are rarely representative of the actual response and without any sort of tolerance nobody is interested in that spec. The sooner the response drops off after audible upper limit the better. You do nothing but potentially introduce IMD and waste amplifier power.

>Human hearing range varies quite a lot between people
The generous audible range goes up to 20 kHz. Only small children are able to hear that high and many young adults struggle at 16-18 kHz. Note that these are absolute hearing limits against a sine tone under ideal conditions and with no auditory masking present. They are well above of what you are able to distinguish under normal listening conditions. There are more issues with this. Bandwidth of most audio gear drops off soon after 20 kHz, sometimes even below that or at least partly so. Nobody mixes anything that high. Lossy compression may lose the upper band altogether depending on the settings you use.

We are interested in the frequency response across the audible spectrum. Values advertised by manufacturers might as well not exist. The only remotely honest company I can think of is Etymotic.

>efficiently
Not what's important.
>clipping
That term doesn't relate to headphones too well but the closest thing, excursion limits, aren't given by the bandwidth.

Never bought anything else than my current headphones and in-ears and only invested into a single high end desktop unit to plug headphones into. If I had to list models, they'd probably be Etymotic ER-4SR and HD 800 as well as Benchmark DAC3 or Lynx Hilo. Out of these only the HD 800 existed when I got more interested in audio.

>Not trying to argue

Oh I know, I literally meant I'm not trying to. PLs pls try and borrow your friends 600's. Nothing else has came close imo and I've bought all the obvious good headphones that cost less than it. Well, 650's are the exception, and they don't sound as good.

mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/desktop-objective2-with-odac/

Is this a good first dac+amp combo?

I have both and SR950 definitely. You could also look at Superlux 669's with the new Brainwavs Round pads to improve comfort and have a detachable cable.

Very good for whatever reasonable headphone load. If you get that combo, pick the optional 1x and 3.3x gain option.

Fidelio X2s.

Why not get the Fulla 2 for almost a third the price?

Probably not good for 600 ohm headphones.

Stop. Any output is well suited for high impedance minus a potentially low volume. O2+ODAC combo swings ~6.5 Vrms on high gain. That is plenty.

No idea what I'm looking for 2bh
I know I was looking at a pair of headphones with 250 ohms, so I needed a system.
I also was looking into getting an XLR(i think) microphone

I'm lost user I wish someone would Sup Forumsuide me to victory

triggered cuckheiser fanfaggot, go back to rebbit

>I know I was looking at a pair of headphones with 250 ohms, so I needed a system.
Impedance is unimportant. You want to know the voltage sensitivity and have some idea of how loud you want the headphones to be. Are those the DT880s or DT990s? Fulla 2 and O2 will likely have more than enough power for them.

XLR is just a connector for balanced runs and also used for mics that require phantom power. You basically need some sort of audio interface for it which can provide the usual 48V phantom power. Pic the mic first. Most affordable interfaces have headphone amplifiers in them, too. They won't have the power of discrete units like O2 but might still be more than enough. Check out Focusrite Scarlett Solo Steinberg UR12 or higher end units if you need that sort of connectivity.

Shit. AKG k612 are cheaper and better.

Kill yourself, we've had more individual users than we've ever had this year.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms was what I had picked out

I want a non-condensor microphone, but cannot stand static from USB.
3.5mm is fine, but on the wiki I can't find good recommendations.
Account creation is closed on the wiki, but goddamn it needs updating

Buy the fulla 2. You don't need to spend a penny more in your situation.

So faggotini is going to measure headphones now. Kind of nice on things like 1060 that there are not many measures on.
>youtube.com/watch?v=Lm-NZwzPuPY

Is that faggot even competent enough?

Holy shit, that Reddit spacing. Fuck off, Sennheiser shill.

We will see his measures and will compare it to others, as he said himself. I would like to see him elaborate more on what curves he used to compensate, if any, and the whole process of his measurements. I think you can get decent results from his setup, it's gonna be averaged anyway.

>AKG k612
No bass.
Spiky treble.
Retard level sensitivity.

rode.com/microphones/procaster

r8, anything I should know with this mic?

I guess we'll find out

>reddit babies buy expensive measurement equipment and still can't measure headphones
>chinks like rinchoi and speakerphone get accurate measurements with their poorfag basement setups

Knock knock

Thats like 70$ mike and some scarlet interface, not exactly an expensive measurement rig, and his measurement of HD600 looks to be about the same as with everyone if he applied Harmon's curve. Check yourself before you shrek yourself.

What equipment does he use?

knock knock what you fucking prat

You have never listened to k612 or you have listened to them without proper amp.
Either way you are wrong. The only thing I could agree with is spiky treble, which is still less spiky than other AKG headphones. And boosted highs are normal for reference headphones. Actually beyerhiss boosts highs even more, that's where the hiss meme comes from.

k612 is one of the least sensitive headphones on the market. there's nothing to argue over that.

stop calling a treble spike "hiss". it's not a fucking hiss. it isn't "a meme" either. it's something someone started forcing on this board for like a couple of months ago to shit on beyers which have that prominent treble peak.

you know want a meme?
>reference headphones

Looking for a headphone under £1000 that is the most netrual and have next to no distortion of my music. Also I want a Amp+DAC recommendation with it please as I can hear clear static from my computer and its annoying.

Focal Elear + FiiO E10K

hd600+ sheet stack or o2 combo

>k612 is one of the least sensitive headphones on the market. there's nothing to argue over that
This is true but how does that even matter? As long as you have proper amp sensitivity doesn't matter. If you are audio enthusiast chances are you will get dac/amp at some point.

>stop calling a treble spike "hiss". it's not a fucking hiss.
Except it is. Most beyer headphones have tendency to sibilize. This is caused by treble peak. Sibilants sound somewhat similar to hissing. See the connection?

>Except it is. Most beyer headphones have tendency to sibilize. This is caused by treble peak. Sibilants sound somewhat similar to hissing. See the connection?

Not really, it just sssound sssilly.

This guys says that the modi sounds better than the fulla 2 even though they share the same dac. He says that the fulla 2 dac sounds grainy in comparison.

Opinions.

>t. Fetus Ears

Claiming that a perceptual difference exists between two DACs is not an opinion.

Quality post. You are really fitting in /hpg/.

I really think people under estimate the kingston hyperx cloud headphones. I picked up a pair a few months ago on ebay for pocket change and hooked up to my dragonfly dac they sosund better than my ath-m50s and dt990. Crazy value. The sound is way less muddy than the ath. and less shrill than the dt990 with good detail. Also pretty isolating at ~50% volume.

I forgot the fucking link, but it is an opinion. whether it's correct or not was my question.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4XuslCJe4

Thanks for checking out my blog. Subscribe for more news on /hpg/ shitposting.

>I really think people under estimate the kingston hyperx cloud headphones
How new can you be? pro80 and by extension clouds were recommended for years as budget headphones around here. Every time someone is asking for headset they get recommended clouds. They are anything but under estimated.
>sosund better than my ath-m50s and dt990
I disagree, but either way all of those are shit.

Any non double blinded listening tests of gear can just be safely ignored. You do not get any meaningful results that way. Grainy doesn't mean anything even if there was a some sort of an audible difference.

As for the opinion part, these sort of "impressions" don't even qualify as discussion. It's moronic discourse. There's no value in it. No aim to find out what's going on. You could just as well eyeball the amp and write on how it sounds on the internet.

Everyone saw the connection and got the terrible forced joke. Hiss is something else and still related to to audio: it's a noise, not a description of the frequency response. Keep them separate.

Are they shit because they're not Sennheiser hd600?

I have opportunity to buy Audio-Technica ATH-M30x or Razer Kraken Forged for 80 USD. Which one I should choose?

Do you have the opportunity to test either?

>it is an opinion
It's a falsifiable statement.
>whether it's correct or not
An opinion can neither be correct (true) nor wrong (false).
>was my question.
The burden of proof is on the claimant. He didn't disable the comment section. Ask for evidence.

Educational material:
pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/

This will be my last reply.

No, because all v-shaped headphones are shit. Especially reddit meme and poorfag ones.
But to be fair, all of those have their uses. ath are ok for portables, clouds are decent for third worlders and dt990 are decent for people with hearing loss.

dt990 are by far the best sounding headphones under $200 for trance/dnb

Did not expect this to show up on my camelcamelcamel watchlist after adding it like 3 years ago. Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all.

ComfyGod

Saddly no, so i ask here for opinions

Dude, just grab the M30Xs. I tried one of those Forged Edition headphones, and they sounded shittier than my brother's Corsair HS40; bass literally drowned everything out.

Best open back headphones ~$100? Looking at the ATH AD1000X. Will primarily use them for gaming. I have ATH-M50's that I've had for almost 8 years and will continue to use for movies/music. But I'm ready to try something new for gaming.

I'm willing to spend $50-$100. Maybe ~150 depending on what it is.

I'm looking for maximum comfiness. My last headphones hurt my ears pretty bad.
I want nice full sound, I especially like lower sounds. So something a little bassy and warm.
Also, a MUST should be a detachable aux cord just in case it breaks.
I'll be using it for my keyboard, mostly.

Which are better, Ultrasone PRO900i or Sennheiser 650

650 easily

The PROs are brighter and more aggressive than the HDs, if you know what I mean; whereas the Senns are are darker and smoother.

What are you even looking for?

But for me, the Ultrasones are my pick.

>But for me, the Ultrasones are my pick.
Why would you pick the Ultrasone?

that doesn't look right at all

HD 600s aren't for me; its sound signature is not my style, to put it simple.

650s instead of 600s. Sorry.

That's cool but Ultrasone aren't known for making good headphones:

innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf