/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/tA09k8Rq
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221
ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
aur.archlinux.org/packages/runit/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/eudev-git/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=nosystemd
opensource.com/life/16/7/linux-theoretical-physics
flossdata.syr.edu/data/insults/
gnu.org/links/companies.html
itvision.altervista
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Richard Stallman is a Communist

try sourcemage

How do I get into ricing my DE?
I'm still fairly new to Linux and don't know anything about customization.
I'm using stock XFCE at the moment and want to make it not look like garbage.
Should I just start with changing themes and/or making panels?
Any programs I should install for animations or something?
Are there any guides I should look up?

no u

Repost

Can anyone give me an example of when access to "bleeding edge" packages have actually made a difference to the software you are using, like you managed to get something done with the "bleeding edge" packages you wouldn't have otherwise?

Try it in a virtual machine, is nothing hard. You may want to borrow a couple pages from other wikis like gentoo's, specifically the partitioning. I made this list of frequently used commands pastebin.com/tA09k8Rq

You should probably type then in order the first time except for the kernel recompilation, kernel compilation is obviously optional

If you really gotta try the latest features now and don't want to wait for example in debian wait for it to come from testing to stable bleeding edge has it's benefits.

This, some missing features in MPV let me confused and in sorrow when I used Debian

Just installed Manjaro i3 (community edition), I'm pretty happy so far. First time going beyond a VM.

When Daiz decided to fuck up anime fansubbing, getting the latest ffmpeg+h.264+mplayer2 available in portage helped a lot.

When XFCE 4.10 was released and i upgraded it it from debian experimental it was awesome.

The Linux kernel (as seen on kernel.org) often brings great improvements for new hardware (especially VGA cards) such as performance and power management improvements and improves existing, widely used technologies like ext4. I remember there was a good ext4 speedup somewhere in 3.x

Fix Fonts:
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221

BEFORE YOUR DISTRO QUESTION
Read
>I want a "lightweight" distro (no bloat / base only)
>Not Arch or Gentoo

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
>Network installer

you'll have a working base system in minutes
>skip last step of installer (don't select additional pkg groups)
reboot and install what you want, for example:
apt install i3 lxdm lxappearance pcmanfm gnome-themes-standard breeze-icon-theme

>ib4 ubanto autistic screeching
/ ~1gb; ram usage tty - 25mb, i3wm ~ 50mb

=====================
ARCH WITHOUT SYSTEMD
=====================
1/ aur.archlinux.org/packages/runit/
> makepkg -cirs

2/ runit 1 2 3
check either ignite, void or obarun github for boot script inspiration BEFORE you restart

3/ re/boot with kernel parameter
init=/usr/bin/runit-init

4/ now you can safely get rid of lib/systemd and libgudev
aur.archlinux.org/packages/eudev-git/
> makepkg -cirs
done

5/ get most of these
aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=nosystemd
>mine for reference
pacman -Qqs nosystemd
dbus-nosystemd
libpulse-nosystemd
libutil-linux-nosystemd
mkinitcpio-nosystemd
procps-ng-nosystemd
util-linux-nosystemd
xdg-user-dirs-nosystemd
xorg-server-common-nosystemd
xorg-server-nosystemd

>troubleshooting libsystemd.so.0 error
rebuild using aur or abs disabling lib/systemd flags
>notable mentions
qt5-base mpv - both have aur pkgbuilds

If you wonder what's the point you probably need to rethink why would you need a source based distro anyway, like, do you really need the latest kernel available? The guys at SourceMage had kernels the same day they went available.

Other than that is probably one of the best distros to test new software because you can recompile everything to fit one particular setup, you can even make a "spell" to automate the installation of your software if you are a developer.

There you have two use cases.

I appreciate pasta like this, and wonder why isn't everybody else welcome the free knowledge tidbit

on latest Arch x64

I'm using tint2 and OpenBox for a desktop experience, but am lacking something for launching programs in a reasonable way (currently using %command% & and keeping the urxvt open) and a file explorer (should I just install nautilus?)

I really only feel like I need a file explorer when a website requires that I 'drag and drop' something and does not provide a browse button, or if I wanted to open something in chrome, etc.

What should I get?

ip link add name br0 type bridge
ip addr add 172.20.0.1/16 dev br0
ip link set br0 up
dnsmasq --interface=br0 --bind-interfaces --dhcp-range=172.20.0.2,172.20.255.254

modprobe tun
ip tuntap add dev tap0 mode tap user micah
ip link set tap0 up promisc on
ip link set tap0 master br0

sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
sysctl net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1
sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o enp0s20f0u1 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tap0 -o enp0s20f0u1 -j ACCEPT

Why does my VM not see br0 or have it as a network interface?

Play YouTube videos (or audio) with 2 clicks?
>useful if you don't have/want pulse

>Video
cp /usr/share/applications/mpv.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/mpvv.desktop

Exec=mpv --ytdl-format="bestvideo[vcodec!=vp9][vcodec!=vp8.0][height128]/bestvideo[vcodec!=vp9][vcodec!=vp8.0][height128]/bestaudio" --no-cache --no-sub-auto --no-stop-screensaver --script-opts=osc-visibility=always --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui --external-file="$(youtube-dl --get-thumbnail "$(sselp)")" --autofit-smaller=960x480 -- "$(sselp)"

>Download music?
cp /usr/share/applications/mpv.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/mpvd.desktop

Exec=st -g 100x20 -e youtube-dl -xf "bestaudio[abr>128]/bestaudio" -o '~/Music/%(title)s.%(ext)s' "$(sselp)"

Add to your panel(s)
>Copy Link Location
and click

> Icon=
- icons/breeze/actions/22/ im-youtube.svg kdenlive-show-video.svg
- icons/breeze/places/22/ folder-download.svg folder-music.svg

st.suckless.org
tools.suckless.org/x/sselp

recommend me a gnu/linux distro to do some torrenting with? im familiar with fedora 25 workstation and would use that + installing vuze but less resource usage is really preferable here

there is no os on that device currently, and it doesn't have to be a live cd. i dont want to spend a whole bunch of time getting it ready either so while >install gentoo + rtorrent would be light on resources eventually it isnt really an option

there must be something perfect for me, no?

wtf? just use your fucking browser

gentoo

welcome newfriend

dmenu

for a server try Devuan netinstall if you are familiar with the terminal, or choose LXDE during the installation

Headless Arch with transmission web interface, that way you could manage torrents from your phone/tablet/another pc

I'm thinking of installing a Linux OS on my phone, is this a good idea? I've had it on my laptop and desktop computers for two years.

>Arch
you can bet he doesn't need the AUR here, let him use a netinstall instead

>just use your fucking browser

Try LineageOS with F-Droid to download Termux, you'll get the smooth experience with the command like still at hand anytime you want

Antergos has a netinstall option, and transmission is not in the official repositories.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it right now

why would anybody install arch for something as simple as torrenting? Just go for debian stable netinstall with i3. It just werks.

This is one of those case where anything Arch is just problems and anything Debian has more solutions, see

Well, shit if you're that adamant on simplicity and stability, why not use Openwrt. Antergos simply isn't that complicated if you follow directions, but to each his own.

It's literally bleeding edge. The only updates this user should need is the occasional qbittorrent update.

Who is this unfriendly looking person?

Linus Torvald who is known for his temper, he's known to go internet tough guy when behind a computer.

Linux Torvalx.

>'s known to go internet tough guy when behind a computer
true story

What is the best way to write games for Linux? I have used Unreal and Unity in the past, but they don't support Linux as a development platform.

"You're all a bunch of Wanking Walruses. And you can quote me on that."
-- Linus Benedict Torvalds

Should I fuck with RAID 1 if I'm backing up offsite anyway? Availability isn't really a concern.

I was just reading this opensource.com/life/16/7/linux-theoretical-physics

id Tech 4? Godot? Urho3D? The best known libraries are OpenGL (+ GLFW), OpenAL, OpenCL, and Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL).

Vulkan is supposed to be the future though. Also use Blender, that thing is pretty rad.

dmenu is perfect, thank you user

Someone made a collection of insults: flossdata.syr.edu/data/insults/

Try dmenu2, same tool without suckless insanity.

>WRONG. Alan
bookmarked, I like his writing style :^)

>f*ck
>sh*t
ewwwww

Just watching a video of him. He says proh-jects instead of projects what the FUCK?

Manjaro is a good choice. The i3 community edition has some weird default behaviors though. Nothing that a quick run through of the conf can't fix though. It is quite a bit different than normal i3 behavior.

maybe because he is finnish?

and he says debiah-n

what did he mean by this

Consider rofi. dmenu is deprecated and all but abandoned.

what sort of behaviors would you recommend taking a closer look at?

Any cinnamon users here? Is there a visual guide somewhere that shows what cinnamon.css elements corrospond to what parts of the UI (specifically the panel).

Hello, Sup Forums. I'm looking for an extremely stable distribution for programming, game development and normie shit (Spotify, Netflix). I don't give a crap about "bleeding-edge" software, I believe programs just get worse and bloated as time passes by. Just look at Windows software like Spotify, Foobar, Daemon Tools, F.Lux etcetera. I do, however, believe in Kernel and security updates and I need to keep some software up-to-date (f.ex. Firefox and my game engine of choice). I don't mind compiling some of the software.

I'm currently thinking of pic related, Salix, Debian, CentOS or Gentoo. These any good?

stick to windows

If you have the experience Slackware was recommended a few times for exactly what you are asking

Currently using Debian stable which is a good mixture of stability and has the option to install newer software (than slackware). No complaints whatsoever. I don't know about game development though, you'll have to get a second opinion.

Debian

inane

You are now aware that /fglt/ are really using Windows and Linux VMs. Linux is a cool toy, but for real computing just use Windows.

Since when? dmenu works.

WRONG, Alan

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>winfags actually believe this
it's worse than talking to trump supporters

fucc
Is that CPU dead?

dumb stallman poster

LOL!

where can I buy a linux laptop?

One thing I remember that stands out is that when you mod+shift+# that it sends the window AND you to the workspace which is strange. Another thing is that scrolling on the bar to switch workspaces was disabled. Also the bar is big as fuck. There were quite a few other things also but i didn't spend a whole lot of time with it. The only reason I know about it is because I stole the configs from it and edited them to my liking because I liked some things about it and didn't know how to accomplish them. I never actually installed it. I no longer use that though. I'm just using a config edited from vanilla now. BUT I did learn a lot about what you can do with i3 by studying their config.

Yeah. It works and I used to defend dmenu too. But rofi is the future. The biggest thing that caused me to second guess dmenu (and suckless altogether) is that they went in after essentially years of abandonment and changed the version number for no other reason than to make it seem like it was in active development. There had been no changes (besides the version).

I heard System76 has pretty good offers

this

I think dell offers their high-end ultrabooks with a GNU/Linux option

So you have no real arguments against dmenu?

Reminder that serious work is done here opensource.com/life/16/7/linux-theoretical-physics

You can't go wrong with System76.

GNU/Linux*

I do get an impression they have sager/clevo build quality

I haven't used Windows for years. I'm currently on Debain Testing and used Arch for the past year and Ubuntu/Mint before Arch. I can't stand Windows, especially Windows 10.

I think I might. I've tried most distributions, with the exception of Gentoo. I'll probably give Arch a shot.

This is probably the best answer but I just don't want to admit it because it's boring. I'm typing this on Debian Testing and honestly, I have no real reason to switch. I am just curious about Slackware and Gentoo. If I decide to stay with Debian I'm going to use Testing until Stretch is released and stick with Stable after.

lmao, the "linux is not ready for the desktop" rant page is now spam filtered

based

Check here too gnu.org/links/companies.html

Always ask your seller if it has the certification "Respects Your Freedom".

*copy pasta

I'll probably give Slack a shot*

Sup Forums generally needs proper moderation.
This place been really fucking shit in the last year

Good thing. Was spammed long enough.
Nah, it's actually a website:
itvision.altervista org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

It works fine and I actually still have it installed and mapped to mod+d but I use rofi at mod+p for run and mod+w for window list. The devs are shady though. Honestly I used to defend them until I investigated them myself and saw some dumb shit they were doing. For one, why change the version number after 4 years of no development and no changes?

My friend swears by System 76 for Linux laptops.

I move an icon theme, say Numix Square, to my /usr/share/icons folder, open up xfce settings to try and set it, and when I do half of the icons are missing. I know this is a complete icon theme so there is something wrong going on. Is there some sort of gtk theme engine thing I need to install or something? I am on Gentoo if it matters

>Linux laptop
no such thing

How much are you being paid?

dmenu for launcher, pcmanfm or thunar for file manager

use ~/icons

Numix Square is only the applications icon theme.
You'd know if you read the description.
It needs the "base" Numix theme to fallback for folders and mimetypes

>implying Linux isn't an operating system

They literally make hardware intended to run Linux.

>dmenu
>recommending deprecated software
opinion discarded

~/.icons

>pcmanfm or thunar
I can't actually tell the difference between thunar and pcmanfm. They are exactly the same as far as I can tell.

But the same thing happens for other icon themes i download..