BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS, etc.

IRC -> #baot @ irc.rizon.net

freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs

Curious Linux user? Ask questions, get answers... maybe. Ignore license shitposting and other obvious trolling.

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/spam-blasting-malware-infects-thousands-of-linux-and-freebsd-servers/
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149532438309321&w=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD.

ZFS is the best thing that has ever happened. FreeBSD FTW

Linux user here, thinking about installing *BSD in a VM to play around to see what's different about it. When BSD do I choose?

>When

Try them all, they're free.

If you claim to be a better community at least keep your anti-GNU spam outside Linux threads. Nobody cares if you want to feed the pockets of big businesses, GPL is here for a reason.

Keep your shit at bay.

THIS

fuck off freefag commie

I don't care if your fucking army of drones are such hypocrites as to acknowledge CISCO is astroturfing the shit out of the BSD community.

You are fucking deserving to be taken out of the internet with the massive spam you people do.

FUCK OFF!!

>BSD devs don't even use BSD
top kek, is this true?

That is an obvious troll post although one part is true, that most FreeBSD developers don't actually use FreeBSD as their daily driver. They run it in a VM on a Mac. If you go to a BSD conference you see all other developers using Open, Net, or Dragonfly because they all "just work" on common business laptops. Getting FreeBSD to run well on a modern laptop is like walking on coals so even the devs can't be fucked with it.

FreeBSD devs are generally looked down on for the garbage they produce. The source tree and release engineering is a disorganised mess and it lacks mitigations and features that have been in Linux and all of the other BSD's for years.

Then what's the point? Terry is running his TempleOS in a VM too.

I tried to run FreeBSD in a common business laptop and it just worked. Only piece of hardware not supported was the wifi adapter, which was not supported on OpenBSD either, and can be changed for $5.

this may sound dumb but can the xbox still run netbsd

i saw a claim that 5.0 could run using the i386 port

XP user (go ahead, laugh really hard) trying out FreeBSD and Linux Mint MATE simultaneously (triple boot)

wannacry really scared me. looks like tip of the iceberg. eternalrock uses 7 exploits (wannacry only used 2) and hasn't even been weaponized yet.

still can't figure out how to mount my ntfs partition in FreeBSD

do you guys recommend freebsd (or any other bsd) for casual chan browsing, reading webmail, watching youtube, and por- I mean pepe collecting? if I get hit by a browser exploit, will my system survive? how will I even know if I'm infected?
This is the only article of its kind, but it highlights the problem
arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/spam-blasting-malware-infects-thousands-of-linux-and-freebsd-servers/
(freebsd servers infected for five YEARS undetected)

>do you guys recommend freebsd (or any other bsd) for casual chan browsing, reading webmail, watching youtube, and por- I mean pepe collecting?
should do the job

How will prompt will Threadripper support be in the BSD ecosystem

Guys, our leader Theo is being harassed by an online bully!

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149532438309321&w=2

Let that faggot know that we do not tolerate cyberbullies, thanks for your cooperation.

is it the cuck license guy

also wtf he looks like theo too

Openbsd is more than sufficient for that usage. You can trust openbsd to do the right thing.

>business laptop
I love old thinkpads too. Try this magic with Yoga and bsd magic will btfo.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Yeah, he use BSD license for his own shit too, so he is a cuck.

I like FreeBSD and run it on my desktop PC, but it has a lot of idiocincracies and too many sharp edges to recommend to any noobs. It's made by neckbeards for neckbeards.

OpenBSD really is the ubuntu of BSD with well thought out base of applications and sane defaults. Any noob keen to try BSD I recommend OpenBSD wholeheartedly for an excellent example of a well configured operating system, knowledge you can take with you.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

It is true, but things are getting better. The ratio of MacOS to normal laptops at BSDcons is more 50:50, which is still shit but better than 70:30, which was normal in the last decade.
Yes, but he can run TempleOS natively on his other computer

> It's not GNU/Linux, it's just GNU

>There really is a GNU, and these people are using it, but it is just a bunch of applications that are useless without a kernel. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, and without it, you can't do much of anything. Linux is normally used in combination with GNU software, which is largely garbage, but there just isn't anything better to go with Linux at the moment. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux that are waiting for a better alternatives than GNU. The only people who tell you something different can't successfully write their own kernel. I'm looking at you, Richard.

FTFY

Actually every single person has a FreeBSD laptop. It's just the case that their work laptops are macOS. George, for example, has a thinkpad with FreeBSD and a macbook. He carries both. I work on FreeBSD and don't have an apple laptop, and instead use FreeBSD everywhere.