I'm confused, almost every motherboard you buy has a ps2 port for old peripherals, but they don't work

I'm confused, almost every motherboard you buy has a ps2 port for old peripherals, but they don't work

I've built 2 PCs and none of the ps2 ports work and when looking on the manufacturers website, they don't have any drivers on there. Why do they even put these on them if they don't work, I now have to use usb to ps2 just to use my keyboard.

All mine have worked?

Mine too.

>drivers

Why on earth do motherboards still have ps2 ports anyway?

Using a PS/2 keyboard right now. Why it comes up as Lenovo I don't know.

What?
Why would you need a usb to ps2 converter if the PS2 port doesn't work?
THE FUCK YOU'RE ON ABOUT?

It's a superior port.

check to make sure your keyboard is actually ps/2 and not a hybrid usb that emulates ps/2

redundancy
also, if you're installing windows 7 or legacy OS, the PS/2 keyboard comes in handy if there are no built-in usb 3.0 drivers installed yet

keep in mind PS/2 is not a plug-and-play type port, keyboards and mice may not work unless they were present before the machine was turned on, and it is not safe to remove them while the machine is on

yes, drivers
basically everything has a ps/2 keyboard/mouse driver built in, so you should not need to actually install one yourself, but you do indeed need a driver

Lies. I didn't have a problem plugging in a ps/2 keyboard and getting it to work while Windows was already running on a desktop that had never had a ps/2 peripheral plugged in until then

This, PS/2 devices have to be plugged in before the computer boots, they are not PnP like USB.
Kek at picturing OP sitting there plugging it in and unplugging it 10 times trying to get it to work

Being lucky doesn't mean it's safe.

i said 'may'
it's not designed for that, though it can still work like that
same deal with IDE

it's not safe, and you should not be surprised if something releases smoke one day while doing it

frees up a USB port

>Kek at picturing OP sitting there plugging it in and unplugging it 10 times trying to get it to work
hell, me might have killed it already by doing so

I've also built computers where it was disabled in UEFI/BIOS so give that a shit. Like 1 out of the last 4 had to be enabled.

Did you even read?
>uses USB to PS/2 converter
>OP claims PS/2 doesn't work
I assume OP meant to type PS/2 to USB converter.

If I recall correctly, windows need a service to work with PS2, which is not enabled as default when not installing it with a PS2 keyboard.

Because they are way superior?

>hurr kill literally all external ports except for USB-C and kill literally all internal ports except for PCIe

>what is "hot-swappable" and why is it something different from "plug and play"

If something isn't PnP it means you'd need to configure IRQs and I/O ports and DMAs and shit via dip switches or jumpers. Something which you probably didn't need to do for the past two decades or so.

well most serial ports only work if the shit connected to them is there before boot up your pc.

>what is "hot-swappable" and why is it something different from "plug and play"
since this wasn't a quote, i'm assuming you're asking this

hot-swappable means the device is physically able to be plugged in and removed while running/powered ("hot")
plug-and-play means the device is self-configuring at a hardware level, only software might need setting up to use it

both are far more prevalent now than they were back when ps/2 was a new connector, i wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time someone here has even heard of an external connector on a computer not capable of just being plugged in whenever and werking