/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Install Source Mage Edition

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM
youtube.com/watch?v=3TX3kV3TICU
youtube.com/watch?v=wlR5gYd6um0
youtube.com/watch?v=NzD2UdQl5Gc
blogs.gnome.org/thaller/2016/08/26/mac-address-spoofing-in-networkmanager-1-4-0/
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/network-manager/ bug/1681513
theregister.co.uk/2017/05/24/google_closing_the_loop_comingling/
packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/wicd
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stop using KDE

Stop meming without me.

No

man pages are great

Is deepin a good choice for a GNU/Linux virgin?

is there a tasksel equivalent in antergos?

post your favourite animes

What is going on on the top right corner?

Forcible Windows Update

Source meme*

anyone built a hardware firewall? is it even worth doing?

I've just noticed a random "tunl100NONE" in my ip addr.And mystery links to linode.com
Where do i look for intrusions?

Spammer stop spamming, spammer stop spamming, spammer STOP SPAMMING!

Source mage. I didn't knew this distro. Thanks.

recommend me a gnu/linux distro to do some torrenting with? im familiar with fedora 25 workstation and would use that + installing vuze but less resource usage is really preferable here

there is no os on that device currently, and it doesn't have to be a live cd. i dont want to spend a whole bunch of time getting it ready either so while >install gentoo + rtorrent would be light on resources eventually it isnt really an option

there must be something perfect for me, no? thinking lubuntu since its "light" and comes with transmission, but might also get slacko puppy and then install deluge

Gentoo + qBittorrent

Devuan netinstall, get familiar with apt and install transmission-daemon as the daemon and either use the web interface or install a frontend. There are two frontends you could try, tranmsission-remote-gtk, or the one I use transmission-remote-cli. Very low resource usage.

vim is hard to learn you guys

>can't quit vim

>how to fix my fonts
>pastas

Cant seem to remove it with 'ip' either

Some videos here might help you, ignore the titles and watch them without worrying too much about being advanced or something
youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM
youtube.com/watch?v=3TX3kV3TICU
youtube.com/watch?v=wlR5gYd6um0

Can i install the nonfree drivers for my wifi card in Fedora without having to use rpmfusion? Fedora doesn't like my WLAN card.

For those of you who have actually installed and ran gentoo, are there any libraries or packages you installed to get smooth performance?

I've tried installing LXDE and I have screen tearing, even with compton installed. Pic sorta related, Gentoo installation I used to have on my laptop.

the correct xorg driver and x configuration.

I'm considering to switch to Void. What are recommended Sup Forums packages after install?

void has no packages
its void of packages you could say

what furniture do you put in your house after buying it?

Just normal things you use in daily life.

youtube.com/watch?v=NzD2UdQl5Gc

Seems a bit piontless when your router can do the job.

>buying furnished homes
>paying 15% more for furniture that you'll probably donate to goodwill and buy replacements from ikea
No thanks.

Is running fedora on a system with nvidia graphics even possible? My desktop has a 1060 and I've tried using the negativo repo for the nvidia drivers but no luck. Going to try the rpmfusion way next, but I cringe at the idea of having that cancerous repo on my system.
Is there hope for me?

So I'm going to fall for the Void meme (might as well since I fell for the Arch meme years ago) but I'm putting it on my Raspberry Pi 2. Gonna clean the dust off of it.

If I upgrade using a live OS, does it install to my computers disk or strictly the live USB?

You have to chroot in to your install to do anything

Linux servers can run till the hardware burns out

>babby detected

Valid point. I'll do some homework on what I want to get by scouring void packages.

Shrinking my Ubuntu partitions so I can try manjaro with lxde
It's gonna take forever

finally my uni semester is over and god damn im done with windows. only reason i stuck around with it was because one of my classes demanded we work with visual studio.

so now that im free i want to install linux. Sup Forums what distro is the best for a shitty acer laptop? more precisely the acer aspire 722? i really want more performance out off this trash because its my actual school laptop i take with me to class.

is linux mint cool? which version should i install 32-bit, 64bit? is 32-bit better for performance on my 2gb ram?

here are the laptop specs:
AMD C-60 1 GHz
2gb ram

why not armbian?

if you computer supports 64 go for it, and if you worry about rescueing an old laptop maybe you should go for Lubuntu, unless you are willing to use a window manager and do a netinstall, by which you should try devuan

install ubunut

There is a NetworkManager "bug" in Ubuntu 17.04

Here is how to fix:

edit the /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file

And add:

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

Restart the networkmanager service and use your wireless connection.

Because everyone is meming about Void on Sup Forums

Is this a bug exclusive to Ubuntu or on NetworkManager version 1.4.4-r1 in general?

I had to so it on my laptop with debian stretch so it seems to be a general issue with networkmanager. I can't be bothered to check the version right now.

I think that is Ubuntu mostly, but im not sure.

blogs.gnome.org/thaller/2016/08/26/mac-address-spoofing-in-networkmanager-1-4-0/

Fuck NetworkManager + nm-applet. It randomly just shit itself like 5 minutes ago. I had to stop the NetworkManager service, and kill nm-applet, then restart both and I STILL couldn't connect to the internet. I ended up just rebooting.

Is wpa_supplicant better?

not a meme because is innovative and has yet to prove if it can surpass arch, but arm seens a more fit choice unless you want a source based distro

ultimately is your choice anyway

I actually would prefeer to use wicd or just wpa_supplicant, but my autism likes the default things.

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/network-manager/ bug/1681513

What are some cool terminal commands?

I can always cross compile from my main machine.

curl cheat.sh

I think I'm in love with GNU+Linux

Reminder to pay cash. theregister.co.uk/2017/05/24/google_closing_the_loop_comingling/

What display manager should I choose as my default?
>gdm3
>kdm3
>lightdm

none

If DE = Gnome then use GDM
Elseif DE = KDE then use SDDM
Else use lightdm

Thanks user!

In OpenRC how do i remove a service form default run level. I'd no longer like to run it at boot

Protip: update your system before installing nvidia drivers

Is WICD less prone to dropping a connection than NetworkManager?

I thought wicd is dead?

Connection problems usually aren't related to your network managing software.

I don't want something like this happeneding again

No not at all packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/wicd

NetworkManager uses wpa_supplicant.

I'd like to move away from both so i don't have any more buggy shit problems. Which is why im switching to WICD

wicd is using wpa_supplicant

is sudo a play-on of pseudo?

killall niggers

Wicd sucks fucking dick more than NetworkManager so i said fuck it.

killall racists

Take that!

kill -9 60574861

Wtf don't do that!

sweet dreams motherfucker

Hi guys! I was wondering if someone messed aroubd with OwnCloud on/and/or Lighttpd and if it could give some tips for a really newbie to it.

OwnCloud seems easy to do but I'm very concerned to leaving any holes or something not covered on security matters on Lighttpd. Thanks guys.

No. It's su + do (as in do this)

No. It's pronounced soo doh

thoughts on systemd?

OpenRC > systemd

the worst tech meme ever, and I mean your post

Looks like it can be said either way:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo

No, it's my way or the highway

Unsavory.

Well guys, I tried to install Void on my Raspberry Pi but it looks like it's an impossible feat for me despite following the directions on the wiki precisely. Time for it to collect more dust.

Why is everyone and his grandmother installing Void latly?

lmao Linux on suicide watch:

I literally just commited suicide

No news. Lurk moar.

Is there an app for Linux that allows me to quickly boot into a windows partition and vice versa?

Can I have a little bump, or this is not considered Linux matter?

no
no

if I have a swap partition in my hdd, will that partition work as the swap for every linux I install in the same hdd?
I don't have to create a swap partition for each OS, right?