Is the XPS 13 Developer Edition good for a laptop with GNU/Linux preinstalled?

Is the XPS 13 Developer Edition good for a laptop with GNU/Linux preinstalled?

Yes

Yes

inb4coilwhine

I don't like the idea of anything pre-installed, DBAN the drive and update your BIOS

>Developer Edition
Is this a new meme like Gamer Edition?

I have an XPS13 2014, and it's been a fantastic laptop. I reckon it'll last another 5 years or more.

this, if you use GNU/Linux you're probably a DYI guy yourself and have a specific way you like stuff set up for yourself.

It's for strong independent woman koders who can't install Ubuntu.

If your looking for some with it pre installed than that's probably the best.

Yes I bought one about 2 months ago, it's great

This, just bought a new (used) 2015 top of the line version for cheap, thing is fucking fantastic.

My work just bought these for all our software devs, who all use Linux, and people got the choice of 13 or 15. A few of us installed different distros, but most kept the installed Ubuntu. I threw Ubuntu MATE on mine and so far it's a flawless experience.

Serious question: How's the coil whine?

I've actually never heard it with mine. It was constant with my laptop I upgraded from though.

how does the battery hold up?
i bought the kaby lake one and i wounder if i have to buy a new laptop in two years due to the battery not surviving

>buying a laptop with a windows license and then install ubuntu instead of buying the same hardware cheaper without a license and ubuntu preinstalled
are you a retard?

That's besides the point. The point is that it's desktop hardware sold with and for GNU/Linux.

Yes, and everything works fine if you decide to install a different distro

Is it even available? I couldn't find it in the German store.

Dell sells their laptops with Ubuntu so it's verified to work no questions asked.

If you want to actually use your computer and need the utilities that linux offers without the hassle of installing it (easy or hard depending on your liking) then it's probably a great laptop.

If I don't pick up the new retina Macbook when it's time for me to upgrade (fuck you I have my reasons) then I might get the XPS.

>ubuntu
>not xubuntu
of course I'd prefer fedora but still

No.
I have the XPS 13 9350 with 3200x1800 display.
Totally not worth the money.

If you consider buying one, check prices for Thunderbolt Adapters first. Also you'll need a full Windows version to upgrade certain firmwares like the Thunderbolt one. (No, FreeDOS won't work)

So Dell releases a product with software that doesn't support their own hardware?

I'm not casting doubt; that just seems absurd and I'm going to verify your claim.

Check official driver page.
Check Arch Wiki.

Also, USB-C Docks (even the official) do not work properly with kernel versions prior to 4.11. And it seems that there are still some issues.

Can't you just uninstall Unity and install Xfce?

yeah but then I have to use default heavyweight ubuntu

you can but most people are too stupid to do that without breaking the system and leaving bloat.

And how would that be a problem on that particular computer? It's not anemic.

God damn it Dell, now I'm getting a Macbook.

Once you get to fix the sound problems it's kinda nice, it worked for me after disabling the internal mic in bios
I still have a very very faint noise on the right side of my headphones when I move the mouse
No idea how to fix

Checked system76?
Checked Schenker / TUXEDO Computers?

Pretty much every laptop manufacturer is offering similar hardware now.

it would be a problem because ubuntu is full of bloat, and I don't want it

Is that what it is? Mine makes noise from what i thought was the memory bus, and it's only when doing intensive tasks... weird