ITT: Abandoned PCs

Hospital abandoned in early 2000s, PC still running

Other urls found in this thread:

utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/tech/UniversityDisposalProblem
youtube.com/watch?v=cFrSNWnWpSg
youtube.com/watch?v=Kot8PdHpk6w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Holy shit. Moar.

This computer shop was abandoned in the late 90's and it still has all its shit inside.

this thread has potential desu

you sick fuck this isn't a gore thread you edgy shit

In like 2010 I was supposed bring some stuff from the office down to an old server room in the basement of the company I worked at.

The moment I turned on the light switch was quite a magical one because the whole place was filled with old computers from the late 80's, all connected, spider webs everywhere but shit's functional and preserved, like a time capsule. Even the computer chairs were there. EVERYTHING.
The place even smelled like old computers.
It probably sounds autistic but I still have goosebumps. It certainly was something special.
Sadly the place got teared down years after I left and even before that they fagged around about giving me one or two 486 or 386 machines.

Anyways, I love time capsules so fucking much, especially computer related ones.

>ABANDONED HOSPITAL
>WITH PEOPLE INSIDE
Then it's not abandoned ffs!

Decades of sun and UV light for those old monitors.

Many of these were also there.
I booted one of them but it seemed to have forgotten its HDD settings or something. Can't remember the code but even if I wouldn't have known the cylinder, sector and other spec stuff

How has it not been vandalized in all this time? You'd think some punk wouldve thrown a brick through the window by now. Where is this?

Believe it or not, there are still some neighborhoods left with reasonable people.

So east asian neighbourhoods?
If there were a few whites living close by than it'd be smashed in weeks.

44 N Lehigh Ave. Frackville, Pennsylvania

I don't understand the logistics of something like this. So, the building is owned by someone, why not clean it up and sell it?

I miss beige tech

Saw this on Ebay a couple weeks ago.

Some 286 clone that was sitting in some abandoned warehouse for over two decades.
Original packaging.

The seller (of course) didn't have a fucking clue and shat all over the ad the usual "SUPER RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUPER OLD RETRO COMPUTER!!!!!! ONE IN A LIFETIME CHANCE!!!! SUPER COOL!!!!!! RARE!!!!! and wanted like $500 for it.

Finding old shit and flipping it is one thing, knowing literally nothing about it and be a faggot is something else.

As soon as you get in there, you are going to find hundreds of broken laws and building regulations that need to be updated. And, as soon as you know about them, you are legally abided to fix them or lose the property.

It's better just to let it fall down on its own.

Man that laptop got lucky. Now it can be a desktop.

There have been warehouse finds all the time, like IBM PC/XT/ATs or Amigas, NIB, hundreds of them.

If it was a server room I'd guess they where RS/6000's instead of PS/2 systems like in your picture.

the CHS settings should be listed on the hdd's label

Only the basement levels are abandoned. At the end of the video, one of the guys takes the elevator up to the first floor and he sees it is an active hospital. Maybe the lower levels were abandoned because there was water damage.

Also a lot of hospitals have to close down or downsize because poor people w/ no health insurance just use the ER and then never pay their hospital bills

Oh hey it's the abandoned computer store

Fukushima

I can't remember exactly which model it was...

Also, don't know what that original purpose of that room exactly was. It looked more like a schooling room with a dozen similar workstations and a couple random other computers.
They just called it "server room" because they had their recent server near the door in a rack.

>If there were a few whites living close by than it'd be smashed in weeks.
Whites stupid enough to burgle aren't stupid enough to believe that they could make a good profit off of this stuff. Blacks, maybe.

>The racial makeup of the borough was 98.14% White, 1.05% Asian, 0.37% African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.25% from other races, and 0.11% from two or more races.

Try again.

If it was black, it'd be smashed in a day

How the FUCK can youtubers sneak around places like this and not get into trouble?

What the hell.

the abandoned places have very few guards if any

You could probably sell its remaining stock on the internet, there is quite a few people interested in buying old technology.

Radiation is the best guard

Probably some gravis ultrasound cards in there. Last I checked on eBay they were going for $450

>gravis ultrasound
>$450

I guess people only pay that much and see it as a collectible.

Who else would fucking care about sound quality if an ISA slot card?

it's for that authentic dos box setup, m8
gravis ultrasound was one of the top tier cards in its day, it was pretty expensive even when it was new

radiation really fucks up monitors

WHO DID THIS TO YOU

I see you've never been to a Chinatown

That looks like the UK, what sun?

>address clearly in top left of images
>LOOKS LIKE UK GUYS!

wait, kehler is a place?
i always assumed it was the family name of the owner, since that's a common thing to do

Man I'm on mobile and don't want to burn data by enlarging

user...

the title of that video literally describes a building that's not ABANDONED

He replied to 2 posts, user...

Well it's pretty easy user I do it for fun.
Check out my ig: thereluctantpig

>school/university has rooms full of old computers
>often even really beautiful vintage 80s/90s or even really rare shit
>when asked if some of them could be obtained for private use they usually say no or keep you in limbo for months without a real answer
>often without even any reason while the machines catch dust in those rooms or even rot away in attics or cellars
>a little later, all computers get bulk scrapped

I've read or even witnessed this so many times, it's infuriating.

>the keyboard still works

kek

I wish I could find a room filled with old tech

>tfw no qt and bunker to survive with old tech in

Why this happens, as told by some dude who's a sysadmin at a university:
utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/tech/UniversityDisposalProblem

What a crock of shit.
How the FUCK is it not possible IF those fucking forms are necessary to just let the receiving end fill out the forms if the university is ~too busy~ to spend time on this?
This is fucking bullshit right there.

Giving away random machines could also mean leaking sensitive data on them. Having someone check if there is data or wipe them would cost worktime.

>fucking get ONE guy supervising that the person who takes the computer with them fills out the form and takes out the hard drive
>take form and put it into a folder, take hard drive and hammer it
>take money for the computer

>do this dozens of times
>get lots of additional money for something that otherwise would rot away
>have more money for your fucking university
>also have money to pay the damn admin faggot who keeps an eye on the process

GEE, ROCKET SCIENCE.
Certainly something universities can't pull off with all those under-qualified low brows there.

The problem with this is that hard drives of that era (80's, early 90's) are getting rarer and rarer. A disk that has only seen 10,000 hours of use and then stored for 20 years is rare as rockinghorse shit. The thought of disks of that era getting ragefucked with a clawhammer makes me cringe.

Gee, I wonder why companies do the same.
Recycling old hardware is usually barely profitable (if at all) so no one bothers because that's just a waste of energy.

i wonder why this particular computer cannot afford any downtime

Well and now they just rust in moist cellars until they get hammered with the pc casing around them a couple years later. Better rescue most of it and sacrifice the HDD than letting the whole thing get mauled.

I'd rather say it is fucking incompetence and ignoring opportunities since no one expects money behind it because of said incompetence and fucked priorities.
There are tons of recycling companies that make good money with this shit. Even one-guy companies. They're just fucking lazy when it comes to this (and a lot of other money sinks).

When the alternative is the entire machine gets trashed, a destroyed hard drive is the lesser evil.

>98+% white pop
good1
also see

>visit video
>all of those egocentric fucks keep pushing their faces into the camera

>incompetence and ignorance
Two virtues reserved exclusively to universities, eh?
You seem to suffer from this one condition almost all of the young STEM students suffer from - you think you can optimize everything. Which is impossible in large structures and often shouldn't be done even when available because splitting hairs can be dangerous for business.
>There are tons of recycling companies that make good money with this shit
Sure, and if they made an offer to your dean I'm sure he'd accept it.
What's profitable to them doesn't have to be for him.

I like that entire building.

>Track down abandoned yet functional PCs like the one in OP
>Use them to create a massive botnet
>???
>Profit

>>all of those egocentric fucks keep pushing their faces into the camera

Welcome to ((UrbEx)).
Just another way for obnoxious youtube faggots to ruin something that was actually an interesting topic just to rake in ad money because they gave up their cashier job and went "professional youtuber" after they gained 2000 subscribers

>implying that's not already exactly the reason why those computers are still working in that rotting building

I live right next to this, Litterally can see it from my Window, Ask me anything reddi,t

that's what you get for using amsterdan advertising policies

did you already come across flip flop wearing urbexers already?
seems like that place went up in popularity on youtube recently

Nah, Its write across from a creek/boat ramp and down the street from a beach

If im not wrong the guy who lives next door to it owns it now, once in awhile you'll see people (workers I think) go in and out

they should use it for a movie stage.
looks really impressive inside and the ambient noises were awesome.

You can hear that sound from outside
Plus the shift alarm is still active, around 10pm - 11:30 you'll hear it go off

theres a cool drone video
youtube.com/watch?v=cFrSNWnWpSg

heres a video of a bunch of bb gun war heros inside it
youtube.com/watch?v=Kot8PdHpk6w

And yet since it's ad-friendly content, they make more than you ever will ;^)

Not only outside, All around town

I work at a radio station. The automation system that plays out to the transmitter is a shitty IBM PC with a turbo button running XP. Connected to a UPS and Generator and hadn't been turned off for a decade.

Pity I don't have a pic on me

Hey cool, I can see your house from up there

That people make obscene amounts of money with obnoxious behavior is nothing new to me, buddy.
The question is, do you want to become something you hate and get money or stay poor and be yourself. Everyone has to decide that for themselves

>Also a lot of hospitals have to close down or downsize because poor people w/ no health insurance just use the ER and then never pay their hospital bills

You're a fucking moron

That is one of the most memetic meme bikes that have ever memed on this earth.

Tons of hipster ride these and when I went to a bike auction last year, it came CLOSE to a mass brawl of about two dozen university faggots who wanted to get the only peugeot bike available there. of course only one guy could have it and when he got it, he got flocked by a mob with offers and two chicks were crying over it.
what a giant clusterfuck.

that sounds hilariously cringey, shame you didn't film it

Damn, I guess I'm a proud owner of a meme bike. I picked one up when I was in middle school for $20 at a garage sale. I only really started using it when I went to college, and it road great.

You're correct :)~

I know its great!

In all honesty; I found it for 50$ pretty damn clean at a yard sale, and cleaned it up, just werks

I'd still take it any day over a leddit carbon bike

He's not wrong

I always find cool shit in my uni's ewaste pile

I guess they just don't give a fuck

kneejerk reaction filming isn't that big of a thing yet around here (luckily since I find it annoying) but it certainly was something to behold

indeed. take good care of it and always chain the bike up or park it somewhere hidden. at least around here it is EXTREMELY wanted and people are crazy about them.
they're good bikes but that level of fad faggotry is off the charts. good to know that you guys appreciate it for its advantages though.

not sure why we posting doggos now though

Probably skynet alpha

I want an onahole of this

Do you know anything about it?

I dont know much other then it being a "peugeot bike"

and heres another doggo!

sadly, no, I just noticed that people go crazy about it. it just became a hipster thing for some reason like many other old stuff.

and to get back on topic, something from my doggo folder. a doggo getting offered an abandoned graphics card. not sure what happened to that guy's hand though

Then just take hard drive out and put back in the administrative limbo.

I hate when people do that. I see it all the time on CL but not with the wording like on eBay. Just people that think they can get $100-$300 on a stock P3 or a P4 Dell.