FUCK STEAM AND STEAM OS

>make all your money on Windows selling proprietary games locked down to your application
>decide to say fuck Windows and make an Ubuntu fork "OS"
>don't invest in Linux game porting
>all Linux games you sell are locked to your proprietary garbage application
>pick fights with Microsoft, your main source of money
>get BTFO when Microsoft announces Windows 10S and you're not included due to your own stubbornness

Why do you still support shit companies?

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity
github.com/paroj/xpad/issues/23
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Valve-Hires-Keith-Packard
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Microsoft announces Windows 10S and you're not included due to your own stubbornness
I didn't hear anything about not being allowed to create a UWP version of steam, I just figured it was because UWP is shit

Did someone defecate on your favourite designated street this morning? Calm down.

It's time to stop loving Windows.

>>decide to say fuck Windows and make an Ubuntu fork "OS"

Actually, it's a fork of Debian

i agree with you there.

Didn't they help establish Vulkan? They could do more but that's something right?

Valve is making so much money hand over fist that they should change the cut that they take on games that get ported to SteamOS to 10% for the first year or something.

Valve realistically should be pushing SteamOS if they want to strengthen their monopoly on PC gaming - I thought they wanted to BTFO consoles and Microsoft at the same time?

I use linux and have for years, I used to care a lot about linux but now that 99% of the time that people use a computer it is through the web browser I feel like circlejerking over an operating system has become incredibly irrelevant.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Pretty sure the store is going to be curated a la App Store and steam/origin/etc won't be allowed simply because they're literally competing stores

Valve, as I see it, plays a huge part in getting more games to Linux even if the Steam machine / SteamOS concepts didn't quite succeed. Good for Linux and Linux gaming publicity too. SteamOS was at least partially a scare tactic used to get some leverage on Microsoft, and at the time it seemed to succeed quite well. It will be interesting to see how far Microsoft will go with their store.

Of course we can't forget about engine developers like Unity, who make it possible to, in some cases quite easily, port games for Linux. Nor the developers themselves.

As far as gaming goes I've only used Steam on my Linux computer though, and should probably check out other distribution platforms too.

Stop using windows

I only play CSS anymore and since nothing really grabs my attention or lets you host dedicated servers I'm converting all my PC's to linux.

At some point you gotta ask, is vidya worth losing my privacy and control over my OS?

It's funny, most games are so poorly ported it's much better to run the Windows version on Wine than the """native""" version. A prime example of this is CS:GO, the native version is slow as fuck and constantly crashes, but the windows version running in wine is smooth and stable.

GNU, the system is called GNU.

Pretty much every indie game has a Linux version these days, the biggest challenge is back-porting catalog titles and getting big studios on board.

They really need to work on SteamOS, to get a console experience they need to do things like have a Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc - or just a proper media tab on their big picture client.

Big picture can do with a bit more optimisation too, throw in themes too, thats a basic expectation of TV interfaces. Steam kind of have googles problem where they have a ton of money to throw at projects but rarely follow through.

Wine is something I feel quite conflicted about. On one hand it allows the user to run many more games and applications under Linux but on the other hand it somewhat feels like giving up or admitting defeat. It makes Linux feel like the second class citizen it actually in some use cases is.

Oh, no, win10s won't have steam on it. What ever shall steam do.

That's more of a defect on the part of win10s than of steam. Like all the poorfags that run win10s will just download flopy bird from the win store and call it a day.

I don't use Windows

>make all your money on Windows selling proprietary games locked down to your application
it's like people want to make money by selling their games
?
it's pretty much ubuntu
they do
because they saw the desktop store coming
>get BTFO when Microsoft announces Windows 10S and you're not included due to your own stubbornness
they wouldn't have been included anyway, since ms wants their 30% cut from game sales

great thread OP

This. I can't wait for webshitsembly and V8 optimisation to make the browser near-native so I can't be bothered to give a shit anymore.

Here, have a (GNU)/Linux.

Big picture could really use a lot of work. On a slower computer (2nd gen dualcore Celeron in my case) it just doesn't feel good to use, especially when trying to use the in-game overlay while streaming for example.

So Migrosert is still trying to make a walled garden out of Wendys? I thought they just gave up. They'll never get it to the levels of what Apple has.

>gamers are faced with two options
>migrate to windows 10s
>keep playing their csgo of legends
Guess which one they'll pick.

They do invest in linux gaming. Its called Vulkan you retard. They're one of the forfronts supporting and promoting it

They didn't see windows store coming it was already out. Windows store already failed once and they rebranded it then forced it

Even levels of Google is enough. You can root android but like 90% of phone brands discourage it except for most chinkphones and they're trying to make stuff that detects root that app developers can use to block those phones.

And while you have the ability to download and install or even sideload random apks 99.9% of users will never do it - or may not even know you can do it - because the Play Store is your source of apps, and people who are used to iOS-like smartphones will never even consider the possibility of installing an "app" outside of the "app store".

>tell manufacturers to make steam machines
>they'll totes be the next big thing yo, you'll make billions
>do nothing to spread the word about steam os
>watch it die and do nothing.

that's what bugs me. consumers won't trust another attempt at this now.

You realize that software sells hardware/OS, and not vice versa?

Just go systemless root, mate.

I KNOW RIGHT, WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING A STEAM MACHINE IF I HAVE TO STREAM 90% OF MY LIBRARY ANYWAY TO PLAY THEM

It is literally the most expensive front-end in history.

Windows rocks for home use, get over it neckbeards, this ridiculous idea of a Steam machine will die unless they decide to start using Windows or a Windows compatible system that can run all the games on its own.

FUCK how dare they take steps which give users the freedom of choice.

FUCK Valve I am so mad!!!

AM I RIGHT? WHY WOULD I NOT WANT TO ONLY PLAY 10% OF MY LIBRARY HAHAHA THAT IS MY CHOICE IF I WANT A DUMB OPTION FOR ME BECAUSE MUH FREEDOMS

Or maybe they saw W10S coming and wanted an exit plan in case Microsoft shuts down their marketplace on Windows?

I didn't know it was Valve's job to port other people's games to Linux

no one using steam is going to use 10S you fucking retard

No. It just so happened that most Linux systems use lots of GNU utils, but they work perfectly fine without those.

I'm running Linux (ubuntu, not steam OS) on my HTPC (i5-5200U) and it's mostly okay with big picture. Sends the fans spinning a little at times, overlay sucks, and some games (bizarrely risk of rain) don't perform too well, but for occasionally playing some indies it's okay.

I'm looking forwards to building a HTPC using AMD's new APUs once they come out however.

Steam is garbage. We put DRM into buying games so you can DRM while you have Microsoft's dick in your ass

Naturally, but that doesn't change the fact that google is putting in measures that make systemless root useful in the first place.

Since it's the user's system most of the time the user will still win. But at some point it becomes so impractical that nobody does it. And at a much, MUCH lower point, it becomes impractical enough that normies won't do it, which is like 95%+ of users.

Is this about that "10S will be the only Windows allowed" meme?

> >don't invest in Linux game porting
They upstreamed some patches for Xinput support, though. Or so I heard.
>get BTFO when Microsoft announces Windows 10S
The only BTFOd company here is MS.

People who want to play games should not be using Win10S. Under any circumstances.

>get BTFO when Microsoft announces Windows 10S and you're not included
What's there to be BTFO about?
10s is for craptops that can't even run android effectively.

what do you mean they don't support linux gaming

I'm playing dota 2 on linux now because of the patches to mesa that their developers contributed

this desu

all of valve's mainstream titles (save for L4D1, even though the content for that game was ported to L4D2) are supported on Linux.

even their older games from the Goldsrc days are on Linux.

>be Valve
>port Steam to Linux
>port all your games to Linux
>make a gaming optimized Linux distro
>hire people to fix Linux drivers and graphics stack
>single-handedly make Linux a viable gaming platform
>people still complain you're not doing enough for Linux

This never fucking happened.
Linux is dead

linux gaming can't be dead if it was never alive in the first place

We'll if you're only going to use your point for web browsing you might as well be runing the correct operating system.

what, now you guys hate 'forks' ??

Regarding steam, laws need to catch up to digital goods.

If you have a dispute with valve about a game/in app purchase they can lock you out of your entire account.
its as if you had a dispute with your city about the water meters and their said "fuck you" and locked you out of your own home.

The same thing could potentially happen with anyone selling digital goods, thats why people can't/won't do charge backs because they know it means being locked out of your account.

Also, we should be able to sell our digital goods.
Fuck you, it should be arbitrarily easy to generate a code and let someone else redeem that code and then remove software X from my library and add it to person B's library instead.
But of course that would mean steam/digital sellers not getting their share of the pie.

Just look how big the sneaker market is on ebay, its in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Nike isn't trying to stop this shit and forcing people to only buy from their stores, they encourage this community of people, but that is a physical good so it gets more protections under the law.

One of my favorite things about being able to play CS:GO on linux is that I can hack without any real risk of ban
VAC doesn't exist on linux, even if it did it would be easily bypassable, hence why they don't even bother.

its not that I need cheats to play well or anything, just nothing like making people salty with the odd aimbot snipe

>port Steam to Linux
and what a fucking mess it is, requires old ass libraries and runs like a turd, why the fuck is it so ram hungry too?
>make a gaming optimized Linux distro
there isn't any real "optimization" going on, it's easy to make a few typical changes to your install and get better performance
>hire people to fix Linux drivers and graphics stack
things that never happened for $500. Sure they've had people to work on opengl stuff but they've hardly done any patches for kernel or open source drivers.

Exactly. It's like freaking out because ChromeOS can't run steam. How will valve ever recovered after losing the student netbook market?

>what, now you guys hate 'forks' ??
because if you'd use linux you'd know a million distros are pointless. The ONLY thing steamOS brings to the table is a gimped linux distro meant for babbies. The thing is these kids will just want to run windows, they don't care for linux or why some games wont run on it.
Anyone that actually cares for the linux side doesn't have any reason to actually use steamOS.

>a fork of ubuntu
?? SteamOS is a fork of Debian, have you ever installed it in the first place?
Are you braindead?
Windows 10S will never be a thing because it can't run even a third of regular windows programs not only that but Microsoft will get fucked once ARM devices inevitably dominate the market
>android already surpassed windows
>windows phones have the worst market share between iOS and Android
>samsung and other companies are already pushing android into the desktop market
>thousands of chromebooks sold as well as ipads and android tablets
This is the future, embrace it.

so why not hate other distros equally ?

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

SteamOS is more popular than 2/3 the other distros.

>all games you sell are locked to your proprietary garbage application
FTFY, also, just buy from humblebundle then if you really care so much about it.

I'm glad I can play insurgency on Linux because it means I don't have to deal with windows at all anymore.

>At some point you gotta ask, is vidya worth losing my privacy and control over my OS?
yes

You're not getting win10s to play games you dumb fuck

Steam can do with another big push towards Linux, their initial adoption was driven by Fear over Windows 10, if anything Windows 10S should push them harder and to make SteamOS and linux support in general better.

is this some microdick exec ranting and raving

>Valve never contributed
Well they did fix up xbox controller support. I bet they've done work on the PS4 controller too.
github.com/paroj/xpad/issues/23

Valve also employs various Mesa and AMDGPU driver developers. You can check the git logs to see what they've contributed.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Valve-Hires-Keith-Packard

The more the merrier. There's literally nothing wrong with having single purpose distributions like SteamOS. It's not like I'm going to use Linux desktop on a TV.

Damn, so much salt just because a platform you don't like is getting games despite being small marketshare-wise.

This pasta is relevant, take it as a FAQ or to disprove common myths some people is trying to spread:

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

It's not more dead that usual

>windows 10S
lol I don't think even normalfags will be dumb enough to use this.

First of all, it is a Debian fork, not an "Ubuntu fork".
Second of all, you are too dumb for words

Sage in all fields

It's all about looking the glass half filled or half empty. Objectively the linux desktop marketshare is bigger than what it ever was to the point it duplicated in just a pair of years, so if any linux already dominated every other area and it's growing a lot on the desktop, also the number of games cannot be compared to the pre-2013 era, there was literally no more than 100 games. Pretending the situation became worse thanks to valve just shows a huge amount of butt-hurt for no good reason.

>VAC doesn't exist on linux, even if it did it would easily bypassable
Huh? How would you bypass a ban attached to your steam account?

vac is the software valve uses to detect cheating. He's claiming that it doesnt work on Linux. Obviously if your account gets banned by VAC on windows switching to Linux isn't going to help.

Half life 3

yeah, 10s can only run Windows store applications, basically Windows rt 2 electric boogaloo. not like someone who was planning on gaming would use 10s anyway

would probably quadruple linux market share in a month

but the target for microsoft is to move the whole normie user base to 10S to get maximum exposure for the store. this will transform the PC market aswell, when you can only buy PC's with 10S preinstalled there will be enough users who will just stick with it cause they are to lazy. so you hear people cry about steam as a lock in but when microsoft plans to go total top to bottom walled garden the shills dont say anything

>so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game.

Whoever wrote this is German

t. studied german

additionaly they will most likely give the normal versions of windows a "upgrade" to a pro version that you have to buy and not for cheap.

You know, this is actually how they got steam working in the first place

Half Life 2 couldn't be installed without steam.
Half Life 3 can't be installed without linux...?

10s is targeted at netbooks, tablets, and 2in1s, things that don't play steam games.

>VAC doesn't exist on linux
VAC is built into the game through the Steamworks API, so yes, it does exist on Linux.

Like 60% of gamers play on a laptop

you're clueless

No idea, i didn't made the pasta but i'm not native English speaker too.

On netbooks and 2 in 1s? Or are you talking about candy crush?

>Like 60% of gamers play on a laptop

Source: my ass

Considering 60% of gamers are probably telltale fags, it's not that hard to believe.

I occasionally do some light gaming on my C720 chromebook running Linux. 2D games of course run without any problems, and some lighter 3D games like Half-Life run flawlessly too. I know I'm in the minority though, and very clearly so.

this user gets it,

steamOS basically hl3

He's full of shit, the actual number is more like 25-30%

As soon as GNU+Linux hits 3% market share, HL3 will be released.
Linux exclusive.

Mark my words!

you should probably post that on reddit, those fagot would upvote like crazy.
I suggest /r/linuxGaming or even /r/gaming

what are upvotes used for?

it's like a currency, it works similar to (You)'s

and don't forget it's probably steam being retarded and counting igpu and discrete twice

Being able to buy a Sup Forums pass with (You)'s would be quite something.

>implying it isn't over 3% already
>implying there's a better source than a porn website

You complain about VALVe instead of Riot or Blizzard? Really?
Is because VALVe we have as many games in Linux as we do right now.

Riot on the other hand has the most played game in the world right now, yet they can't do a native Linux version. Same with Blizzard, Overwatch and Hearthstone.

would love to see what each OS looked at

>mac gay stuff
>windows interracial
>linux femdom futa horsecock /w ntr

very interesting.
Then HL3 will come, I feel it