How much harm could some random asshole do knowing your IP...

How much harm could some random asshole do knowing your IP? I'm not talking the fbi or any other other professional organization.

Depending on the country you could claim that you caught him downloading something and they will give you the address of the IP owner

your router entirely ignores unsolicited incoming traffic

IPs are traceable to physical location. How do you think google maps always centers on your neighbourhood?

wut

From the IP itself it's only in a several mile radius

Considering you give out your IP to hundreds of 'random assholes' every day, I'd say zero.

Well, that faggot was indeed posting CP on discord and i reported him for that to the FBI. I was also using a virtual machine at that time, booted from a linux USB, reset also my router afterwards because i'm paranoid.

So i should be fine? I don't have a changing IP since at least two years. I still get different ones after some time when i look it up.

>also my router afterwards because i'm paranoid.
your ISP knows what IPs you've had at what times. literally no point in doing this

I know, i doubt the mouth breather will show up at my door, since getting my location in a 30 km radius is the closet thing he got to doxing me

Paranoia isn't logical. Also i'm not afraid that my ISP will fuck with me.

no but if you were worried the fbi could find out your network was requesting CP images, it's very possible

He was also talking about stressing my IP i think, also some shit about a bot being accepted.

i mean if i just think of enough random digits, then it's probably SOMEONE'S ip address. but if i try to send a packet to this address without it first sending(soliciting) a SYNCHRONIZE signal to me, then my packet will just bounce off into the nether.

of course to change this, you can enable port forwarding through your home router's interface. for example, if you wanted to run your own server on your machine, your router should be expecting incoming traffic.

Why would the FBI go after people who reported it in the first place?

You mean the one from "Empire of /r9k/"?

They talked about it there

No, is that a common thing on discord?

Sadly yes.

And I don't mean lolis, on many of those Sup Forums discords it's about real cp

I can't stand that shit desu

what the hell is a discord?
why am i always getting left behind in lingo?

Let me translate that:
>Muh im an idiot and i posted CP on discord. Hey Sup Forums please tell me if im fucked.
you are fucked you fucking pedophile, please kill yourself

kek
irc for the kiddies

It's teamspeak with pictures.

No, but i fear the butthurt of a childfucker with my IP.

Not zero
Does your router listen for any inbound traffic? If so. About ten minutes of searching on a couple forums, and an installation of Metasploit would yield enough to pwn you.

centralized irc server so the nsa can read what you say to your friends. its popular because kids today don't have any idea how to anything themselves

>router listen for any inbound traffic
Isn't that usually turned off?

How are they suppose to know you're not pretending to be a good guy?

Didn't post and save anything.
Not even hiding my fucking IP for that matter.

>No, but i fear the butthurt of a childfucker with my IP.
Discord users can't know your ip, if someone can do that, it's an exploit.
You can't spoof ip adresses like that, you need a large set of conditions and these are not met in most cases, especially on the internet.
You have nothing to fear coming from pedos.
You won't be on some lists somewhere as unlike many thinks FBI, NSA or whatever are FAR FROM being able to monitor everything, even if you report something they don't have the man/bot power to run investigation on everyone.

Don't search for cp and you'll be good. They won't ruin your life for something as small as that (assuming you're telling the truth).

I considered that he might attack my router and open up a backdoor that way. Don't really see any other possibility.
Provided everything is gone once i shut down the virtual machine.
Just like to know of how much use that old IP is by now.

>I considered that he might attack my router and open up a backdoor that way. Don't really see any other possibility.
He doesn't have your ip if you didn't click on anything.
>Provided everything is gone once i shut down the virtual machine.
Why did you set that thing up? Why did you need a vm to connect to a discord? You have things to hide?
>Just like to know of how much use that old IP is by now.
None, only your isp has control over that ip and noone can do jack shit with it without your isp consent.

Nothing will happen to you, you can go back to earth and live your life as you're used to.

>He doesn't have your ip if you didn't click on anything
He did, that faggot even posted it. I'm not sure i didn't open something though, i had no new windows or tabs opening up.
>Why did you set that thing up? Why did you need a vm to connect to a discord? You have things to hide?
Checked my e-mails because i don't have a phone right now, i never do that in win. It's just a USB stick with xubuntu on it.

>I'm not sure i didn't open something though
You did, otherwise its impossible to get your ip.
Doesn't change the fact that he can't do anything with it.

>Doesn't change the fact that he can't do anything with it.
Hope it's true.
He was raiding a friends squad discord channel with gore and started to post cp after a while.

You are a bad person, and you should remember it.

Why?
I'm not the autistic shitposter.

Aren't you ?

Yes, and why am i a bad person now?

>About ten minutes of searching on a couple forums, and an installation of Metasploit would yield enough to pwn you.
audible kek

>malicious doxxing in 2017
>facebook has been out for x years
>myspace has been out for x years
>twitter has been out for x years
OP still would shitpost like a newfag in 2020

Shitposting is a art.
All i wanted to know is if some autistic cunt can fuck my shit up by just using my IP.

Is there anything else he knows about you except your IP?

For example accounts or email addresses

I wouldn't know how, just the IP and the stuff you could google.
He was just some random faggot shitting up videa related discussion after people told him to stop spamming posts.

Isn't it obvious?

No?