/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions, if they are Technology related.
If it takes less than 5 seconds to google or wikipedia the answer, fuck off.

Old thread reached auto-sage limit

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter
social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22622.building-your-first-domain-controller-on-2012-r2.aspx
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/910336/windows-update-error-0x80070002-or-0x80070003
askubuntu.com/questions/65083/what-kinds-of-desktop-environments-and-shells-are-available
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm trying to "install" JUnit.
To that end, i downloaded junit 4.10 and tried to add the jar to my classpath, like this:

export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:~/junit4.10/junit-4.10.jar
export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:~/junit4.10

Now, that WORKED and i was able to run the example test suite.
But after i close the terminal, and started it up again, the classpath was unset.

How do i permanently set the classpath? it's literally useless if it doesn't stay set.

does anybody have a picture of that tweet Terry Davis had where he used the word 'niggerlicious'???

add the export to your shell init script (For bash, it's ~/.bashrc

I'm starting a managed services company. What services can I resell (think AV, Backup, Remote Monitoring and Patch Management)? Should I bother whitelabeling?

thanks

Does anyone have Discord working on Nightly?

I just get RTC connecting forever, happens on a fresh profile too

Please don't post my wife Hanabi

This is my about:config, from what I googled everything I need enabled is

So, I keep this fucking windows 8.1 partition around, for games I never really play anymore. The only reason I boot into it still is to keep it updated, as you can see it's been a while since I did that. Now this screen has been like this for about 30 minutes now, and I'm getting pretty sick of it. Does anybody know how to fix this piece of shit?

my android keeps crashing.
I know it's a hardware issue because I did a TOT restore and the crashing persists.
I also know it's not the battery because I put in a fresh one and it still crashes.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?
I also have a last_msg.txt if anyone knows how to read that (I don't).

last_kmsg*

Some googling suggested the following:

>Don't have partitions...
You gotta be shitting me

>Run the scan again.
great advice

>Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
This is a separate program they want me to download, and I'm afraid it's gonna """"fix""" my problem by just installing windows 10, or at least all the telemetry ""updates"", so fuck that.

>Perform a System Restore.
Fuck. Off.

There has to be a valid fix right? Windows just werks right?

What happens with a message sent through a mesh network?

For example firechat, if i send a message from device a and its going to device d like

a>b>c>d

does the encrypted/unreadable message get removed from devices b and c and in that case how does device b/c know that the message has been delivered and it is time to remove it from themselves?

Windows sucks and so do you for keeping it around. In any case run the windows update fixit tool. You can DL it from MS.

How do I get thumbnails to show up in my filepicker on Linux?
Currently rocking Arch with Openbox installed.

I don't understand. What are b and c? I assume a & d are both phones with whatever app it is you're using.

You mean the troubleshooter thing? Are you sure it won't fuck my shit up and leave me with windows 10 afterward?

Do you have any extensions installed?

Why would Bill Gates inseminate at the age of 40?
>Pic related

I am horse shit at math. Probably honestly at a 6th-7th grade level. I am very interested in IT stuff tho. Was thinking of getting A+ with self study and then going to testing center but then I heard CCNA is better to get. I have zero knowledge but anything tech related, could someone please help guide me in the correct direction? Also only have Highschool diploma

Only KDE can do that afaik.

for some reason white people have kids when they get old rather than late 20's/early 30's

Where can I find and official Microsoft windows 7 ISO? I have and OEM license but the site request a retail one. and I don't want to download a torrent and chage to the russian botnet.

This is what I'm talking about:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

It will stop the service, clear all temp files/downloads/etc, and restarts the service. It also produces a report that you can use to further identify the root cause. It won't force you to update. You can even go as far as blocking the specific update that prompts you to install 10.

I am going to be installing manjaro today. I already have the partitions made from another time i was installing linux and i intend to install over them.

This is where i am getting confused. I am going to be dual booting, but the linux and windows OS are on totally different physical SSDs. So where should i install the bootloader too?

Zero knowledge about anything tech related* sorry

digitalriver is still around for some reason.Use that.

download torrent and verify the hash

>support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter
Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot.

A+ is more hardware and OS based. CCNA is all networking. Both are boring as fuck. If you do get your CCNA you'll always be able to find a job with a MSP. I would recommend installing server 2012 R2 on a VM and follow some online guides on how to setup AD/DNS and attempt to create a home domain. That should give you a taste of the kinds of things you'll be working with.

Install bootloader in linux ssd.
Install os-prober.
Use and run grub2-mkconfig
It will actually not detect windows.
Dual booting matters when two os are on same machine. Why not install linxux and windows independently and press f8 at system wake up and chose ssd to boot from?

Could you dumb that down for me? And so you are saying CCNA is worth the effort that I'll have to put in? Bc I really don't want to stay stuck at my shitty job

At which point is somebody considered proficient in any programming language?

Thanks, both end up helping.

Well, that didn't work. I even rebooted because I thought it might be because widnows update is still running, but nope.

Also should I skip A+ and go straight for CCNA even tho I have no knowledge and not the smartest person

CCNA is brutal. They also require you to take a final test at the end of the course where you receive your certification. To make things worse, you'll have to renew that every few years (5 I think) and retake the test. It's worth it if you can make it. You'll be able to land a job in the 50-70K range depending on how close you are to a metropolitan center.

Warning: You really have to love networking to be able to make it. I reccomend you give yourself a test to see if you're up to the challenge. Here is the test

>Download a trial version of Windows Server 2012r2
>That trial will last for 180 days
>Install the ISO that you downloaded on a virtual machine (vmware is best)
>Attempt to follow this guide: social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22622.building-your-first-domain-controller-on-2012-r2.aspx
>It will not be easy if it's your first time. Use google
>Once that is all setup, install a fresh copy of windows 10 on a VM
>Attempt to join it to the Domain
>It'll most likely fail - don't fret, keep googling.
>Finally you'll get it joined and you'll have created your first network.

If you do that and decide that you like this kind of thing then go for the CCNA.

I just got a new TV, and I'm looking for Android Box / players for it. Mainly, to watch my chinese cartoons.
I'm also looking at chinese alternatives, since I don't have that much to spend on it, but I want to be able to play the most I can without having to re-encode everything.
Anyone know any known product that plays the most common releases or what should I be looking for?

I have an old Samsung S5 (G901F) with CWM installed. Can I change it to TWRP? If so how? Thank you in advance.

I would say 6 months/one time.
Not more than that. If you don't qualify just forget it.
Its easy but you will not see any value until you give exam, pass and get a job.

It gave you an Error Code. Here is the related support article from MS. Try out those steps and see if this helps.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/910336/windows-update-error-0x80070002-or-0x80070003

Yeah, behaves the same on a new profile without extensions

Alright thank you so much, do you have a throwaway that we could talk on because I have a bunch of questions and you are the first to answer. If it's not to much trouble having a noob bother you

Yeah that's what i thought would happen. It's just that all guides assume its going to be on the same disk.

In Virtualbox, is it possible to use a secondary HDD with a preinstalled OS? Or is it just possible to use the secondary HDD when installing a new OS to it?

The use case scenario would be using a GNU/Linux in primary HDD and secondary HDD with windows 7 in Virtualbox.

Well, I'm not too sure then. Perhaps check the devblog / submit a bug report to both chrome and discord. Just to be sure though, your matrix isn't blocking any scripts / frames right?

When he can make a product and sell it to become independent.
Although this may seem vague, when you do get the point of really be able to sell your code/product for money, you that you have learned enough.
Bet me, no one in this board has done it. All are wage cucks or Neet or communist open source anime lovers.

I've been thinking about this as well. What I think would work is that you can make an ISO of you windows installation. Then you just transfer that ISO to you linux partition and use a VM and boot that iso. I think that would be the easiest way to use windows on linux without doing A TON of redoing

Lol i was writing to say that os-prober would detect windows but then I realized (in line 3 or 4) it won't so wrote about switching at system wake.
Its not a problem though.I guess its better option than dual boot. My chickpad run so damn slow because of dual boot.

That's going to give you massive driver inconsistencies. You can convert you install to a VHD from a bootable usb and then do what you said. Or you can just do a windows backup to an external and restore to a fresh VM

What does MS shit have to do with CCNA?

I am just getting to concerned about the "jews" I have recently deleted my facebook. I have started a CCNA course to learn more about networks and hopefully I can learn more about network security from that. And that's why i am working on installing linux today.

idk if you're still around but that always used to happen to me on 8.1
i just forced closed the updater and restarted it
it would download some then hang again

I did this multiple times until everything was downloaded

How old are you? I deleted my facebook 2 years back. I work for Juniper.

It's a simplistic test to see if the user is capable of the much more advanced tasks that he'll be presented with. Once he gets a basic idea of networking he can see if he has a taste for going forward. It'll cover basics like how ports work / DNS / kys

It seems that I can get the windows 7 iso from MS own site if I input the key. With that, should I just wipe both my Z60m with windows vista and T60 with wind7 and install GNU/Linux on both so I can vm those windows OS across my other machines if I happen to run some eroges that don't work with wine?

Before that I was planning to get 4tb HGST drive to back all of my devices.

Anyone know which package/plugin I should install to fix this?

I've searched for "video/x-ms-asf" playback on google and ubuntu forums but so far all of them mention installing either plugins for certain media players or because they can't stream some webradio over the internet on firefox/chrome, I actually got this from playing a game and during the start of one the cutscenes it crashes and gives me this error.

So, how to achieve native playback for whatever "video/x-ms-asf" on Linux without resorting to installing more media players?

Tell me about your background I can give you start and end point of what you should learn.

Those steps didn't do anything either.

I am still around, followed all the steps MS gave me and it still doesn't work. Still just 'checking for updates'.

You can make an image of any storage device and place it on the next as long as the other one is of equal size or greater than the source partition / disk

Are they any Sup Forums recommended or otherwise reputable places to pirate windows 7? I figure I may as well ask before I just go on just TPB and torrent whatever has the most seeds.

I need a new email address.
What would be a good email host other than google?
I would prefer something that sounds professional, it's for a job.
BTW, I cannot host my own email server because lack of technical skills so don't even bother recommending that.

I am 23. That pretty cool dude.

I know I am really late on the bandwagon of switching over, and that's the reason why I browse this website.

I got an industrial engineering degree, and I kinda wish I never went to school and I just got certificates.

You tried the DSIM steps too right? If not do that in safemode with networking enabled.

(1/2) So I went crazy and downloaded a bunch of DE's. I basically copy-pasted a bunch of install commands from this website:

askubuntu.com/questions/65083/what-kinds-of-desktop-environments-and-shells-are-available

From my "history":

36 sudo apt install gnome-shell
37 sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop
38 sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop
39 sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
40 sudo apt-get install xfce4-goodies.
41 sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
42 sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
43 sudo apt install gnome-session-flashback
44 sudo apt-get install awesome
45 sudo apt-get install i3
46 sudo apt-get update
47 sudo apt-get install qtile
48 sudo apt-get update
49 sudo apt-get install razorqt
50 sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt install focuswriter
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kde-telepathy-minimal : Depends: kde-config-telepathy-accounts (>= 15.04.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

[cont'd]

You should host your own email server.
Or you could buy a domain name, and use ZOHO as your mail host. You'd end up with something like [email protected]

You basically got the right idea already. KMS still works I think

(2/2)
[THEN]

[/code] $ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
kde-config-telepathy-accounts
The following NEW packages will be installed:
kde-config-telepathy-accounts
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 229 not upgraded.
681 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/137 kB of archives.
After this operation, 825 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 354659 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking kde-config-telepathy-accounts (4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/accounts/services/google-im.service', which is also in package account-plugin-google 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu7) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[/code]

So what did I screw up? How would I fix it?

I used protonmail. I was able to get my name and initials. Easy to say over the phone and makes to look cool because your email is encrypted.

Yeah this is getting ridiculous though.

>When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruption. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files.

I don't have a fucking windows DVD, nor another computer on the network. Wtf are they thinking? I'm really close to nuking this partition altogether desu, what a failure of an OS, can't even fucking update.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kde-config-telepathy-account

See if that helps

Is that a no to the throwaway email request?

Industrial engineering? CAD and shit?
You have to work hard. Don't waste time on inspiration to come to you. Start it and keep log of it. Every day measure how close you have come. In one month you can find how far can you go in one year. In one year you can find how far you can go further.

Logging is very crucial for chasing something. And don't waste much time here. I browse for refreshment but dedicate 4 hours for own project and 8 office hours. I don't sleep for more than 4 hours.

I would just like to interject for one bit. What you're alluding to as Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I just the other day began to call it, GNU plus Linux. Linux isn't an operating system by itself, but really another free part of a fully working GNU system fashioned into something practical by the GNU core libraries, terminal tools and essential system components comprising a full OS.

A sizeable amount of computer holders use a subspecies of the original every single day, but do not realize. Because of a strange turn of events, the version of GNU which is applied currently is often called Linux, and many of its holders do not know that it is really the GNU system, created by the GNU Project.

There truly is a Linux, and this population do have it installed, but it is simply a portion of the system they use. Linux is the core: the part of the system that distributes the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The core is a necessary part of an operating system, but cannot work on its own; it can only function in the structure of a complete operating system. Linux is often applied in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is really GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every one of the Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Nope

I take it you have discord working on nightly?
Do you use a useragent or something?

Right now I think discord is trying to get Nightly to connect in a way it's too new for or something

Yeah, that's the world of windows user. There are a few issues like yours where if you can't come to a resolution while following all the steps, then it's better to start fresh. At my shop we would be making and image of the drive as well as a windows backup before blowing it out and doing a reinstall. Wish I could be of more help.

Side question, does your BIOS support VT-d? If so then you can get near native performance from your video card inside a VM.

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure kde-config-telepathy-account
[sudo] password for ender:
dpkg-query: package 'kde-config-telepathy-account' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: kde-config-telepathy-account is not installed

$ dpkg --info
dpkg-deb: error: --info needs a .deb filename argument

Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages.

$ dpkg --contents
dpkg-deb: error: --contents takes exactly one argument

Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages.

Not so good, but I appreciate the effort senpai.

>does your BIOS support VT-d?
It does, but if I VM it, doesn't that mean I can only use integrated graphics in linux itself? That would be kinda shit, I only have 1 decent GPU.

Hi
I pirated Windows 7 to have less difficult times to play games
I used some loader I think dazloader to activate but not from official mydigitallife forum, so might be virus
I also have issue with my Windows often, errors, blue screen and also lag / choppy / freeze

Now I have from friend an official Windows 10 with official code from store I want to use that

I want to know please if any of old pirate install will place something bad on pc i cant remove

What parts do I switch away besides HDD?
What other part should i buy new for 100% secure
I have save money a little

Sorry for bad english I try my best
Please help thank you

>At my shop we would be making and image of the drive as well as a windows backup before blowing it out and doing a reinstall.

Ok I don't need backups of anything on this partition. If I were to reinstall this jokeOS, where do I even get a legit dvd image? Can I get one from within windows? Also where to find the activation key, it is a legit one afaik.

reddit probably has a repo.

I am visiting my parents and my father owns an iPhone.
After an update, it asks for a password to confirm the apple ID.
But the email is a misspelled email.
He already signed up with the real email address, so he can't "choose another email"
How do I fix this?

What sort of videogames would I have to play in order to notice an appreciable difference between a 1080 and a 1080 ti?

>ProtonMail uses client-side encryption to protect email contents and user data before they are sent to ProtonMail servers, in contrast to other common email providers such as Gmail and Hotmail.
But will I be able to receive email from people that aren't using their client to send me email?
And Can I access it through a browser, or is it only available through the client?

Yes.
Browser only, likely because the encryption isn't something standard clients can handle, but they do have phone apps.

1) Buy a domain
2) Use pdd.yandex.

How do I use tripcodes?

1) Don't.
2) Read the faq on the home page.
3) Really, don't.

Never mind, got it, I'll download the dvd just in case I ever change my mind.

What are some gotchas when picking a new case, anons? I got it down to a few that provide everything I need but now I'm having trouble identifying what is dumb and what is useful.
Having my SSDs in drawer-like containers sounds fun but maybe is just a hassle.
Having 8 fans slots sound useful just in case but who the fuck uses 8 fans

How do i flash my rx480 nitro+ to make it seem like its a 580?
I flashed 2 bioses but the card didnt work anymore so i had to flash the original bios.
Do i have to flash it in silent mode?

Depends on your usage of course, but the thing I always look for is enough USB slots in the front. My current case only has 2, where I would prefer 4 or more.

Yeah I'm eyeing one that has 4 slots, 2 of them 3.0. Sounds pretty good.

That's not even that weird. I live in Europe, and I know a rich guy who lives in a castle. Dude is like 80 and his kids are all 20 to 25

Yep that sounds decent.

How much could I sell my 1060 for?

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

>pdd.yandex
What's ppd stand for?

>turn off PC
>minutes later PC turns back on
>sometimes PC turns back on a few seconds later

wtf is going on