So tell me again why you dislike Python and Java?

So tell me again why you dislike Python and Java?

They are both fine
I prefer Kotlin though. Can write it almost as quickly as Python while getting the type safety and libraries of Java.

>FB_IMG_1495726807208.jpg

fuck off back

>Java
>Understandable

Yeah let me dig through all 20,000 object factories and classes here to try and figure out what the fuck is actually going on.

You're probably the kind of person that use one letter variable names and inscrutable abbreviations

And they're all globals too, the way god intended.

>doesn't use autocomplete to write Java

I enjoy Python, but I find Java to be frustrating, I feel it forces me to write too much boilerplate

I prefer Ruby (and therefore also Crystal) and C#, because they came afterwards and therefore alone are better, since hindsight is 90% in PL design.

>Java
>Globals

>java
slow, verbose and bloated language that is mostly used by mindless codemonkeys in huge corporations

python is a really nice language though

>Complains about Java being slow
>Recommends Python

yeah that is kind of a hypocrisy but i think when you need fast language you go for c/c++ and when you don't care about it you can choose much better language like for example python, and that's why I'm complaining about being slow

Performance is a sliding scale. Sometimes the extra 20% in speed isn't worth doubling the development time or throwing safety to the wind.

I've found ruby to be one of the least consistently styled languages out there and this is coming from a js dev. too many liberties with syntax and gems with meta programming just let people do anything they want with convoluted module structures. I think python at least encourages good style and common patterns. I really hope ruby dies off and it's looking like js/node is doing just that.

we are talking about java, not JVM user

java is a nice language OP

You've got it backwards. JVM is probably the best VM of its kind.
Java the language is a lean to a fault, which means your code is bloated with boilerplate. And wherever there looks like there's a nice language feature, it's all just sugar for something hideous underneath.

>verbose
that still applies to java and in my personal opinion it's its biggest flaw

This.
Java is a fine language when you use an IDE.

how is java slow exactly?

compared to compiled languages it's slow as fuck, compared to interpreted ones it's pretty fast i guess
also it's relatively slow to write

>I've found ruby to be one of the least consistently styled languages out there and this is coming from a js dev.
> I think python at least encourages good style and common patterns.
A red flag that tells that you can't into language design. Call me back once Python has an equivalent of array.sample that doesn't suck.

Java is compiled. It is also faster than some other compiled languages, for example Haskell.

compiled to a bytecode not a native code, thats a difference

You can compile Java to native machine code, you know.

Java programs being JIT compiled makes it faster than pre-compiled C/C++ programs

>source: searched for 'java vs c++' in Bing

>JIT is better 10% of the time
>Therefore JIT is better all the time

Java bytecode is just an immediate representation. In the end it gets compiled to "native code". It can also be compiled directly if you need that for some reason.

Every language is compiled, by that logic.

cool, then we can drop this useless disctinction

>I can spend 100 hours optimizing the code by hand and compiling for one specific machine, achieving 10% better performance
>therefore pre-compiling is better 100% than JIT compiling

The closer your code is to machine language the better it runs.

The more abstracted the code is, the better and easier it is to work with.

The more abstracted the code is, more retards will be able to develop and it's not a good thing.

That's some malicious logic. Don't tell me you also obfuscate your code on purpose to keep your job "secure"

>almost as fast as C/C++ (within 5% on most tests)
>slow

Not him, but coding in a different language isn't obscuring. You can code readable stuff in C. If you can't, then you're a fucking retard.

Synthetic benchmarks don't mean much, since the tests can be skewed in favor of either language. I can find benchmarks that say C is 30x faster than JS.

java bytecode is interpreted, not compiled

Wonder whatever happened to ARM's Jazelle. It's a processor that allows for direct bytecode execution on silicon.

If they put that on Xeons/Ryzen next gen, enterprise would flip shit.

avoiding abstractions because "more retards will be able to develop" is obfuscating, but mostly it's being an unpleasant to work with shithead

Sure, that hotspot compiler in the JVM exist only for shits and giggles.

Those are the only 2 languages i know. How worthless am I?

If you know Java, you can get a job in enterprise no problem.

You have to REALLY know java though.

it is mostly compiled. some parts might be interpreted if they are short and used infrequently.
unless of course somebody compiles it ahead of time. then it's all compiled except for dynamically loaded classes which are still compiled for the most part as I explained above.

this

>java is not understandable because my imaginary project has 20,000 files
u wot m8?