Umpc in 2017

So, a full freedom respecting modern umpc with 10 hours of battery life...so why haven't you already pre-ordered the German built and manufactured pyra. Don't tell me youd rather go with those malware installing chinks at gpd

Other urls found in this thread:

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/the-day-the-pandora-goes-even-more-open.74432/
youtube.com/watch?v=BGGOn-H7s3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it's trash and not an UMPC.

Why haven't you killed yourself yet tripfag.

>not an UMPC.

But it is you autistic faggot, next up you start shilling for that bullshit Smach-Z again because that kickstarter scam is a UMPC according to you, right? Fucking idiot.

>Preordering things in 2017

Are you retarded?

Stupid frogposter.

>germans cannot install botnet

Their past product was great and I owned it.

Not only that, but they released all the hardware specs and pcb design since they actually follow the open source agenda they speak

>The letter G

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/the-day-the-pandora-goes-even-more-open.74432/

Its still a UMPC. Because its doesnt have a intel cpu and running windows doesn't mean shit. Thats like saying Ford is the only car and all others are not.

>Its still a UMPC.
It's not running a windows OS.

>Because its doesnt have a intel cpu and running windows doesn't mean shit. Thats like saying Ford is the only car and all others are not.
fucking retard

Spider-Man thread

Hey what type of PC do you have?

Oh you have an amd processor running Linux...you know you don't own a PC right?

I like this case. I'm a poor wageslave with financial duties, so i don't have much chance for get this portable hacking/gayming tool.

>stupid tripfag

Might as well be, Sup Forums is more retarded than kids who eat glue.

This isn't a umpc

This is closer to a foldable android phone without the ability to make calls or have a touchscreen

UMPC means "little laptop", or if you want to be specific "I can play Windows based steam games on my 4 inch screen"

Not the user you're answering to.
I see where you're coming from, but it does sound really fucking stupid to limit the acronym to a very specific device (Project Origami) when the device in question, Pyra, looks and works exactly like an Ultra Mobile PC too.

What about this one?
youtube.com/watch?v=BGGOn-H7s3Q

But it does have a touch screen and it runs a desktop os (ships with Debian)?

Ah yes it cant be a useful umpc unless it has Intel® running steam™ exclusively on the windows® platform

>debian
You debian mobile.

Anyway last time I checked debian mobile isn't made by microsoft.

>Debian mobile
What the fuck are you talking about?

The ARM variant of debian can't run x86 software you fuck. You have to manually compile it to run on that shitty dual-core angry bird's processor on the pyra-shit.

It's open source for a reason, you moron. The packages have been all recompiled.

Are you that interested in playing games? Fuck off back to Sup Forums

>It's open source for a reason, you moron. The packages have been all recompiled.
Not the few useful updated ones.

Anyway have fun compiling shit on that piece of shit ARM cpu slower than molasses.

>>Not the few useful updated ones.
Can you give me one (1) example or are you just going to shitpost all day?

fucking ffmpeg that doesn't crash 200 times per minute while encoding

>tfw even if linux was able to run c# nativity pajeet wouldnt use it because it can't run any good games

> I suck corporate dick
> because I'm a tripfag!?

Debian has the same version of ffmpeg for amd64 and ARM.

Good job finding that one package that isn't compiled, moron.

You should just go back to playing video games. Hell, if you want to play video games on a handheld, ever heard of a handheld console?

Nah, I've come to the conclusion that handheld consoles are going to be dogshit for a while. There's just no way to fit good performance on a 5W chip.

The smach z seemed somewhat interesting until I realized that yeah it would be way too big for someone's pocket.

Why doesn't this 0.7lbs handheld have the same power as my wintendo 12lbs laptop that I use to power game on?!? Wtf total shit!!

I don't even own a laptop. But yeah the constraints are way too crushing to make a decent gaymen UMPC right now. Maybe when gen 2 mobile ryzen APUs are launched. Though by then I'll be even more less interested in games.

Barely play BF4 as it is right now. Having a job can really take from you man.

modern Sup Forums is a disaster
keep doin y' thing tho red
can't some moderator ban all the kids that deepthroat the bait tho

Tbh, linux is a giant heap of trash right now else I'd switch to that. Also I hate microsoft half as much as you, windows 10 was and is shit. I'm sticking to windows 7 until microshaft pulls the plug.

You're not wrong.

Wait, I thought Pyra already exists for years.
Still,
>600-800 eurobucks
Some Memeberry Pi UMPC kit is going to be a lot cheaper.

does it run templeos?

Pandora existed for years, pyra is just pandora 2 basically, with MUCH nicer hardware, build quality, etc.
>Some Memeberry Pi UMPC kit is going to be a lot cheaper.
and the GPD Win will be even cheaper than that :^^^^)
retard

It can't run Windows, any Mac OS or any full fledged OS
can't play proper video games because of above
Intel/amd OK! Hell even a VIA.

shitty keyboard
bulky, ugly and cheap looking
doesn't run on AAs
built and gimped for gaymers, not practicality

I'll stick to my DOS/WinCE palmtops and PDAs until something worthy comes to replace them.

real UMPCs have always fit a decent bit of power in their tiny form factor, hell PMMX Librettos were fitted with chips that were desktop-class only a year before

man I want a perfect condition libretto so bad
>tfw it will never happen

I like my 110, but Toshiba design is absolutely dreadful and I've taken to Palmtops more and more lately. That shitty clit mouse really fatigues you with extended periods of use.

Locked down gpd win with 45 min battery life and build quality so terrible that the buttons wobble and shake

How did you make it through primary school?

Can it run Citra full speed?

>Doesnt run on AA batteries

Are you retarded?

This, how would you even fit them in there...

God.

I wish.

Oh how I wish I could have one of these babies.

The pyra is designed in a way where you can buy another pcb that just contains the cpu,ram, and on board storage to upgrade it. So more powerful CPUs are on the table

That makes it worse. So you have to buy this piece of shit with a dogshit processor meant solely to run angry birds and then pay MORE MONEY to get a non-dogshit processor?

Fuck off m8.

>Upgradable components are bad

(you)

>having to upgrade in the first place
take your shitty pyra, yourself and jump into a volcano

>My First Entertainment Laptop
aesthetics for 4 year olds

Great, so we can wait another 6 years for them to upgrade to a 2014-tier ARM piece of shit.

Because if I remember correctly it's an underpowered overpriced ARM piece of shit, just a bad version of my phone.

To be fair the Pandora is essentially a successor to GPHs products which are primarily game devices. Or more accurately emulation devices

>you can just upgrade later(TM)*
>*if options are ever available
Do you think we're retarded? Get back in your time machine and go back to 1993 where you belong.

wouldn't it amaze you to know that this was possible once and you could get a month out of them on a practical, fully PC compatible device and never have to worry about paying out the ass to replace a shitty proprietary battery ever?

>or if you want to be specific "I can play Windows based steam games on my 4 inch screen"

I'm a cock gobbling fag and I like any product I buy to have absolutely no removable components. That way I can't be tricked into buying more things for my device, I just buy another entire device like a good goyim

I'm a cock gobbling fag and I'll suck up any bullshit the salesman tells me like "oh yeah it's a piece of mediocre, overpriced shit right off the shelf but you can TOTALLY pay even more money to upgrade it to usable levels when those upgrades become available*!"

*they won't, in the rare case that they do they will be years late and featuring technology just as if not more anemic than the garbage you already overpaid for

>Pyra Standard Edition, 2GB RAM: 500 EUR without VAT (=595 EUR incl. VAT)

That's expensive as hell. At that rate I'd rather get an X220t for a third the price. It's a little bigger but doesn't have the crappy ARM processor

UMPC shits strike again.

UMPC is a hand held fedora capable of being different from other shit and has no place in 2017 let alone 2007 with technology like "android". you can have a foldable bluetooth keyboard now for $20 and a quad core phone for $80 so you have to wonder why anyone would want to pay $800+ for some single core piece of shit.

That's because UMPC has nothing to do with technology, it's just autistic pieces of shit who have not yet killed themselves trying to be "different" and taking on the same behavior as their grandparents and being scared to death of anything new.

no "work" has ever been done on any UMPC "device" at any price

You seem awfully triggered, phonetard. Want to talk some of your insecurities out?

user

implying that i go outside is asking for a lot here.

>fucking retard
don't sign your posts

What do you use your UMPC for?

the answer is going to be some form of nothing. butt diddling and pretending to have income does not count. UMPC literally exists for the next generation special snowflakes as typewriters did for boomers. They can't get with the times and need to stick to a shitty form factor and become technology creationists.

Why bother with a crap gel shit thumbs keyboard when you can have swype (hey I've never used that before so fuck you etc I am a technology creationist) or a REAL keyboard through usb otg or bluetooth? Going to the letter of being completely unable to accept anything after 2001 you will also pretend those don't exist as well.

>this wall of crying, projecting text
Hahaha, man, we don't care that you got your fee-fees hurt when you said some stupid shit in a UMPC thread and got called a pleb for it. Just get over yourself already.

99% of us use phones too, by the way, it's apparently only you who has difficulty owning more than one device for another task.

Why are you so angry that people use a thing?

They release all the designs for the pcbs, cases, etc so if you really wanted to you could pick out the components and get that board printed somewhere.

The prices are high because these products are more expensive on smaller scale production runs, they know this doesn't appeal to normie gamer tards so manufacturing a shit ton is not viable. They also do manufacturing in europe when they got chinked by shit quality working with the stinky chinkies

Triggered retard feeling excluded because he isn't the in the target audience

This entire post can be summed up as
>Their product isn't shitty, overpriced, non-viable and all around terrible, you just aren't working hard enough to make it good for them!
Why the fuck would I pay out the ass for a product that I literally have to build upgrades for by myself from the PCB up?
Why the fuck should I as a buyer give a fuck about their shitty excuses for putting out a product that is, no matter what the fuck they say, mediocre at its sky-high price point?
What the fuck is wrong with you? No wonder all of these shitty projects fall through so quickly.

"Fall through so quickly"
Yea ok. They aren't bankrupt since they know who they are building it for. The open Pandora had problems meeting demand after getting chinked. It's for people that want an open source project from software to hardware (a niche market).

If you had a brain to understand baby economics 101 you would get economics of scale

>It's for people that want an open source project from software to hardware (a niche market).
And herein lies the problem, it's not built to be used. It's built to be a toy for nerds who don't even want something practical, they just want to stroke off to the ethics of their software licensing and inflate the worth of their otherwise worthless projects playing pretend political activist.
>If you had a brain to understand baby economics 101 you would get economics of scale
I think you're the one here who doesn't understand, I'm not saying that I don't understand why it's priced so high, I'm saying it's a shitty excuse, whatever the reason is, that doesn't compel anyone with a brain to spend more money on a shitty product that isn't worth it. Maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board instead of acting like it's our job to give you a handout because we just so deeply care and understand how hard it is to build a successful product that people actually want.

They are targeting a niche hobby market. >Give handouts
No one is pointing a gun to your head making you buy it. People are still buying the old open pandora for $400 on eBay when one pops up over the gpd win with modern specs.

This isn't the only product they make and it's not like they are thinking they are going to get rich with it. Think of this as their "hobby project"

what?

>No one is pointing a gun to your head making you buy it.
Not at all, but they're certainly shilling it all over trying to call it something it's not. I'm sure from a purely technical/feature basis it's a decent platform for emulation and those who desire a fully "open" system (even though open hardware is an incredible misnomer in this day and age) but it is not at all the UMPC/Palmtop alternative it will be invariably presented as when the topic comes up.

It isn't practical, it is overpriced and it is overpowered.

Plus, the chinks who made GPD also made a really comfy tiny netbook.

Although, I don't think I'd buy a UMPC these days if it didn't have support for mobile internet.

I was going to disagree with it at first but most of the things that make me feel dissatisfied with just using older devices are internet-related in the first place.

I'd really like a nice dedicated PIM/SSH/email/document processor/calculator device for school and work-related shit. My phone is nice, but it gets cluttered.

Classic it's not literally a umpc™ because of a company trademark argument even though common vanaclur says otherwise

No, it's not because of a trademark dispute (for something that isn't trademarked), it just simply isn't one, period. It's a bloated gaming handheld with Debian and a shitty keyboard grafted on as an afterthought, it was not meant to be used for the kind of tasks a UMPC is meant to be used for, and it has few of the things people actually like about true UMPCs and at best it's a mediocre attempt at imitating one if you stretch the definitions.

Stop shilling this toy as an alternative to real UMPCs, it will never be one.

Yea what tasks do you want to use a umpc for.

umpcs are a toy market category and you're delusional if you think it's about "muh productivity"
That mightve been the case a decade ago when smartphones were more uncommon
No one is going to do work on a umpc instead of a 12" (or similar) sized laptop

Mostly information processing tasks like PIM applications, spreadsheeting, managing systems remotely, e-mail, keeping track of information. Just because you think the form factor is a toy for playing games doesn't mean the rest of us do, I want a device that offers a nicer experience than a phone does for those kinds of tasks, not a thicker Nintendo DS with a shitty keyboard.

>No one is going to do work on a umpc instead of a 12" (or similar) sized laptop
I carry my 95LX with me wherever I go and use it a lot, it definitely has its place over a bulk-ass laptop and the same experience the old LX palmtops offered (and more) can now fit into a much nicer, more durable form factor that lasts even longer than the two or so months I can get out of this thing on a single pair of AAs.

Why not buy one of the 10 trillion smartphone keyboards out there and have the same thing?

If all I wanted was a shitty little gimped thumb keyboard, I'd buy a BlackBerry. It's the operating system, the form factor, the application design paradigms, and everything else. I've been down the keyboard road, it's incredibly sub-par because the applications are still dumbed-down shit with wastefully large touch controls that treat you like an idiot.

>umpcs are a toy market category and you're delusional if you think it's about "muh productivity"
UMPCs have always been targeted at and sold to businesses you fucking retard, that was their entire niche and appeal, the bunch of dumbshits who just want a DS with Windows are a relatively recent wave

The pandora had a surprisingly good keyboard and the directional nubs are useful. The left controlled cursor movement and the right controlled clicking.

The problem with the nub on the gpd pocket is that you can't use while holding it with both hands comfortably or transition from nub -> typing easily.

Playing classic style PC games on it was amazing and I enjoyed keyboard based games the most and I'm starting to regret selling it

I think your underestimating how nice using a small screen is for stuff like spreadsheets. I used my raspberry pi for playing with ssh and stuff but not this

The umpc form factor is comfy nevertheless

Why the fuck would I be using that disgusting piece of shit when I have a phone that has more power, better specs and utility in a smaller form factor? Seriously if it was an x86 processor it might be worth getting, but i'll stick to running just.linux and vnc on my phone thanks

Yea show me a umpc targeted at business clientele from the last 5 years

Nice nostalgia based argument

Why do you eat glue, stupid tripfag?

>the entire category once wholly dominated by productivity-oriented devices has died and seen some kind of revival by gamer babies
>thus that is all it will ever be now
this is literally your argument, and it is really that fucking dumb

I can see a compelling argument for the sticks for cursor movement, I honestly didn't consider that for some reason. Regardless, the placement is awkward and in the end I want a full PC keyboard (within reason) rather than this rather awkward, spartan solution. The Pyra really just has a ton of problems, I don't think there's anything that could be done to get me to like this thing as it currently is short of scrapping the entire design and starting over, it's simply not designed for people like me.

For the record, I don't really like the GPD shit either, even their new netbook-esque design looks cheap and even oversized. Maybe I'm asking too much wanting a return to systems whose vendors really put care into the entire experience, rather than just checking boxes on the features and gimmicks list.

>I think your underestimating how nice using a small screen is for stuff like spreadsheets. I used my raspberry pi for playing with ssh and stuff but not this
I use Lotus on my 95LX and Pocket Excel on my Winmo devices a lot, I don't disagree with you at all.

>ARM
>UMPC

lel. It's just a fancy smartphone, OP.

Everything with a

Depends on your use case, UMPC isn't designed around AAA bullshit gaming. Doesn't even matter if you've got one of the billion laptops at 1366x768 cancer resolution.

Small medium-high DPI screens can do everything well enough but are portable enough to be ubiquitous tools.

>UMPC isn't designed around AAA bullshit gaming
No shit sherlock.
You just can't work comfortably for a reasonable amount of time with such a tiny fucking screen and keyboard.

Its a gimmick/toy, nothing more.

You can do plenty of work with them, shit keyboards and all. I mean a lot of that work would be around the same as smartphone stuff but with actual physical keyboards and actual devices you're way less limited. I dismiss smartphones/tablets completely for any sort of work.

It's not a workstation, its not a PC, it's just a handier tool than a laptop for actually being portable.

real UMPC coming through

>You just can't work comfortably for a reasonable amount
did you ever consider that you're not supposed to spend 14 hours a day staring at them like your gaming shitbox in the basement?

the reason why you umpc losers are so funny is because you're so quick to use the word "work" but it always means in your case "nothing" or "butt diddling". we've spent over 30 different threads trying to come up with this work definition for umpc turds and it becomes a circular logic quantum word where you insist you're doing it but can't seem to define it even in the slightest way