What is the best/chepest way to run a home debian/ubuntu server seedbox considering electricity bill?

What is the best/chepest way to run a home debian/ubuntu server seedbox considering electricity bill?

I have 1GB FTTH so shit like pi is not an option, must have gigabit ethernet and sata

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmosphere.org/products/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157726&cm_re=intel_onboard_itx-_-13-157-726-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I use a laptop running VMware myself. Find it to be very power efficient overall.

Find an old laptop or computer lying around with Ethernet or at the very least a decent WLAN adapter and install a distro that doesn't use a DE by default (In your case, preferably Ubuntu Server). I have Arch running on an old Pentium 3 PC in my living room on 24/7 seeding shit all day, it's pretty comfy. You'd be surprised what old hardware can do with Linux.

>You'd be surprised what old hardware can do with Linux.

Burn?

I tried dumpster hardware upgrades and up to a pentium e rtorrent keept crashing as soon as I added a good ammount of torrents and the pentium e itself struggle like a motherfucker

Now I'm using a 7€ >Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz and I can add 500GB of torrents without crashes and I keep 80-90mb/s uploads (HDD can't do much better)

I use autodl a lot so I need to keep the fucking speeds up

>dual gigabit
>usb 3.0
>hd audio
>fucking PCI and serial ports
who the fuck is this meant for? i can understand using it for a server board, but why the fuck does it have HDA and usb 3.0 in that case?

And of course this build even when werking just fine it consume 80-90w and the sound of a plane crashing against the twin towers

Do you think this new AMD s3 shit will come with a low power consumption option like AM1 was?

Banana Pi
Orange Pi plus2
Are your best bet.

Reminder that USB3 can reach speeds of 5Gbit, so it may be easier/cheaper to get a board with USB3 instead of Sata. Sata is not very common on SBC's
And at those speeds you're looking at HDDs being a bottleneck, not the bus you're using.
In that case, I would recommend Odroid XU4

I need to plug 4 drives and I download in massive ammounts, puny ARM can't do this

Intel J3355 or any other intel low-end non-atom board/cpu. It consumes 10w at idle and 20 in full load and is pretty powerful. It can run torrents via openvpn and with full disk encryption at 800+mbit

It is for embedded systems. A lot of times, industrial equipment will be interfaced with Ethernet. And use Ethernet internally for something else.
If the machine needs to do something specific, you can use the PCI port for special made extension-cards.

USB 3.0, because that is what the SOC have on it.

holy fuck, I'm using a core 2 duo E6750 home server too

thing has been on for god knows how long and I haven't noticed anything in my electricity bill. paid $20 for everything, had old hard drives laying around. I thought about buying a low power server mITX board with an integrated cpu but all in that would've cost me like $150 at least. I'd rather use this old hardware since it functions well enough

>is pretty powerful

It have almost the same single thread perfomance as a pentium 4

My main issue is the retarded noise since its a fucking dell with their retarded dell-only-cpu-cooler with the cpu temp sensor broken so its at 100% always

get a fan pass-through cable with a regulator (or if you're cheap, solder in a pot or resistor)

it doesn't have to be even connected to CPU_FAN on the mobo

IPC is similar to C2D or Phenom cpu's at 2.5Ghz. Or half of G3930.

5200-5400 RPM HDDs to save on energy.
I'm kinda surprised how much of a jump the 7200s consume for that little extra spin.

>G3950
fix

Really? Ive never thought about that.

>he doesnt run 100 Gb NICs

look into cheap Apollo lake boards.

I currently run a cheap older Q1900M and that supports up to 16GB ram for ram hungry FREENAS builds barely sucks any power.

Fanless is a great, completely silent and no dust clogged fans or heatsinks to worry about.

>Q1900M
>rebranded atom
To the trash

10 watts for E8300 performance at less than 1/6th the power draw is decent, and I got the Q1900M back in 2014

Plays 4K videos just fine via QuickSync

Something you can't do with an old C2 series CPUs or AMD X2s without adding another 30W+ GPU which brings power draw near 100watts, also USB 3.0 and more ram support.

Not everyone needs dual socket quad core Xeons for serving.

NUC

The Bay Trail and newer atoms are inexpensive to start with and use 1/10th the electricity of C2D setups while having similar performance. They're certainly appropriate for OP's wants.

People still just see Atom and automatically think shit, it's too bad. Those boards and the AMD A4 embedded boards are super underrated.

gizmosphere.org/products/

I try not to give intel any money if I don't have to.

I still have the AT3ION-T from Asus, it's an Atom 330 with ION (9400GT I think)

Plays 1080P H264 and takes 4GB DDR3
It's currently retired and sitting on a shelf as I don't have a task for it atm but it runs Windows 10 x64 just fine.

I know this question belongs in the Stupid Questions thread, but i dont understand the point of using another server? If your gonna use another computer to create a server, so you can download/share files, wont it still slow down your Wifi? Or are you guys doing it from a wired connection. Sorry if the question itself doesnt make sense, I really dont understand much of this.

The point of a server is to have a dedicated machine to running stuff 24/7. You can allot processes to run on a server to not slow down your main machine. File sharing is one of the more basic uses that one can use a server to do.

200 bux for that seems very expensive when you can get a modern baytrail or apollo lake boards starting from 55 bux with customizable ram options, much more sata, and even PCI-Express.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157726&cm_re=intel_onboard_itx-_-13-157-726-_-Product
J3355 Apollo lake for $55

Also the GX210HA on the gismo 2 is slower than the Atom 330 from 2009 and a third of the power of the dual core J3355

Ty! But I still kind of confused? Even if you run your own server, wont your main machine still be slowed down from your servers file sharing? Whats the difference between having another service v.s just another computer without a server

>that single thread rating
Dual core J3355 (same price and power consumption) is a much better choice.
It have +65% IPC, aes-ni and better graphics. This thing will handle torrents/vpn/encrypted nas at near 1gbit speeds.

While your shitty 4 core atom wont do even 400mbit.

sorry meant server*

Get a $5 VPS and call it a day. Time is money.

The internet will be slowed I guess, but generally people have the internet speeds that allow them to both use their server and main computer. A server and computer are nearly synonymous, a Server is a computer running a stripped down OS (generally but not always the case) that allows you to run things without having a ridiculous over head from other
bloated processes from a traditional OS

Actually the J1900 baytrail will handle gigabit just fine as there are plenty of x4 gigabit based industrial PC solutions on the market and plenty of dual gigabit consumer solutions too.

Hell, Jetway even makes one with 10* gigabit ports for dedicated routing.

QNAP TS-453 Pro is J1900 based and runs at 80MB/s steady for large file transfers, you're never going to get theoretical 125MB/s on a gigabit network, and you only break 100MB/s if you're running some kind of beast setup or RAM drives as typical drive to drive network speeds in the real world will be limited from 20~85MB/s depending on your drives.

This is why we've been stuck on 1GBe on consumer hardware for forever and only a handful of boards are getting stuff like 2.5/5GBe

That QNAP could pull few MB's more even, it's the few firewall rules that slow it down.
J900 is a decent chip, but it will start to bog down on more then 10 semi complex rules and drop speeds.
Single core perf is essential there.
That's my experience with them anyway.