Honestly, programming is fucking unfulfilling, life sucking and boring...

Honestly, programming is fucking unfulfilling, life sucking and boring. The only fun aspect of it is finally implementation to work and even that is short lived. How can you guys do it? I know it can pay well, but I just don't see doing it for another 20 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SALSA_(programming_language))
youtube.com/watch?v=vkUwT9U1GzA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do you think most programmers stop after they made something extreamely profitable?

Do they really? Who?

In the same boat with SRE type work. When I program the only rewarding part is the end result. I'm just saving as much as possible because I know I won't be able to hack it forever.

The worst part is GNU/Linux and programming were great hobbies before I had to deal with project managers, managers, and unrealistic deadlines just for the sake of working people to death.

Stopping being a nigger helps.

Gil Bates, for example.

i'll go ahead and assume youre not a c++ programmer

> but I just don't see doing it for another 20 years
Don't do it then.

Fucking seriously?

>Gates
>Musk
>Notch
>Wozniak
>Ritchie
>Fag Terry
>Murdock
>Wright
>Strauss
>Been using HAvOk for years

The list goes on. Most high int. programmers lay down a ground work for high profit as the code monkies maintain it.

I'm a Java/Android programmer.

I've done nothing else since I started toying around with Perl when I was 8 and my father forced me to stop using Windows. Programming is the most creative job you can have. It's what artists and designers expect in a more abstract way

Because once someone has their landmark product everything they do after it is compared to that standard. They do the smart thing and let others take over so their reputation is intact.

That makes since too. I always imagined it had to do with royalty profits and human nature.

Gates, Jobs, Succerberg, the Google guys, the WhatsApp guy...

Every single doofus that happens to make it big with a piece of software, stops programing and becomes a CEO or sits on his money for the rest of his life.

The only people that keep programming are in the free software community (Stallman, Torvalds, the Debian maintainers, the *BSD guys...) And those are turboautists.

Programming is shallow, boring and difficult. Nobody but turboautists want to do it anymore. Real men need to build and destroy stuff, to accomplish it's own shelter and clothes. Programming gives you the accomplishment part, but not the tangible part; that dichotomy tears a man apart and ultimately makes him hate software and computers.

Seriously. Go meet any retired programmer or IT department guy. They HATE everything about programming and computers.

I'm pretty sure >75% people on this planet Earth hate their jobs and would rather be doing nothing instead. In comparison, it's a pretty damn good gig and you can always transition into another industry when you lose interest.

Welcome to the work force! Just remember to live one day at the time. It helps with the not contemplating suicide part.

Notch still programs for fun. Watch his twitter

Real programmers don't retire. Just like Guass and Euler never stopped being mathematicians.

Yeah but Notch is not high int. and his success was just burst of luck.

Maybe you should do something you like, and not be a sheeple by following a trend the society pushes around. You have to realise that you are creating problems for your own life as well for others, by not putting your heart and soul in your work.

Consider suicide.

I can attest to this.

>programming is unfulfilling
Sure, basically playing god is not fulfilling
>life sucking
That's your your general attitude towards life.
>boring
Everything you do is boring with that shitty mindset. Grind through the tough parts to get to the nuggets.
>the only fun aspect of it is finally implementation to work
You labeling things as fun and not-fun is what causes all your confusion. Everything is at the same time fun and not fun. You just like to paint borders where there ain't any.
>I just don't see doing it for another 20 years
Then don't. Life is too short to be doing what you don't enjoy.

I'm white and I find programming to be extremely satisfying. I'm also not on the autism spectrum.

>Stallman
Stallman hasn't programmed in decades

Highly doubt you can program for a living and not be kinda autistic, a little weird or at least not feel some kind of social anxiety. You're not fooling me mate.

he has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome iirc

Probably from being such a fatty, you think someone as smart as him would make better decisions on what he eats.

>I'm a Java/Android programmer.

What's wrong with that?

Still better than being a web dev.
Web development is broken.

Consider your alternatives
>manual labor
>retail
>janitorial work
>data entry
>help desk
>suicide

Another one here.
Google just does it best to change apis and break your previously working apps with every fucking OS release.
Their APIs suck balls after so many years.
The platform is fragmented as fuck.
Any non-trivial app gets in trouble sooner or later.

Android development will only be stable the day google switches to a new OS

Not that user, but why does it matter what other people do? If you enjoy programming, then do it for as long as its enjoyable. I'm not going to pretend to hate something just because other people do.

I say that programming is rewarding, interesting, and difficult. There's nothing wrong with wanting to use programming to solve problems, and it's something that genially interests me.

>How can you guys do it? I know it can pay well, but I just don't see doing it for another 20 years.
why the fuck do you plan an staying a fucking codemonkey for 20 years ?
you only work as a codemonkey until you find a proper job as software architect

Same. Why people consider a game developer high int. He cloned infiminer, wrote it in java.

I'm a mexican codemonkey and it's come to a degree that my body is starting to reject programming.

I'm seriously delayed in all my current tasks with no motivation to keep going and will be fired this year if I dont keep up.

Thing is, I'm not skilled at anything else. Might climb the wall soon.

captcha: huehuetlan park

kek

Sadly after 100 years, no one would remember Stallman or Linus. But everyone would know who Bill Gates was.
So why would anyone code for free softwares? Is this technological cuckoldry?

which language do you work in?

Adobe Flex and Java.

MySql and Jasper reports in between.

Not autistic and feel no social anxiety. However I have sociopathic tendencies so I'm not exactly "normal".

salsa (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SALSA_(programming_language))

how much do you earn?

autism confirmed

I program everyday. Its just fun. Implementing KMP algorithm and checking the run time for various inputs.Making a gui to control the algorithm.
I guess it depends on people. Only real autist can do programming whole life.
Like this weirdo.

youtube.com/watch?v=vkUwT9U1GzA

He is bus driver.

Spotted the issue.

coach driver*

This is true. Finishing my degree in Comp. Eng.. I'm crying myself to sleep every night. Time to do masters in either EE or applied physics.

It's only fun if you program something you like, an interesting problem maybe. Maintaining other peoples shit and writing some shitty code for a new calendar app using REST APIs is soul crushing.
Pairing it with something like engineering or physics makes it better, because you write software to make something real and hopefully cool work.

>that moment when you've almost finished your compsci degree and you realize you don't like programming anymore

What's so fun about C++

Get some cash and another job.
I keep doing some programming work because I have some autism, yeah, a lot of my work paid just by thanks.

POO

I don't consider it to be any of that.
As a rule of thumb, if you hate your job that much, you probably should be doing something else.

They don't care who remembers them. They just want to be free.

IN

UX designer here. I wish I got paid as much as my programmer partners. I probably could get into it, but for the very reason you stated it just seems like agony to me.

You'd think differently if you've ever made something you're proud of.

I've made my own touchscreen keyboard for tablets from the ground up, it was one of the first ti utilize a split layout.

I've also worked with box2d physics for games, it is kinda fun.

>expecting people sitting on large sums of money to work

What? If I could never work again I wouldn't

work will never be fulfilling unless you're a doctor or something, and even then you'll have to give up any life outside of work

seek fulfillment elsewhere

>Programming is difficult
Kek, retard detected

Do you work for a company or independently?

There's a thousand new apps released everyday, and most of them are made by Pajeets who are doing twice as much work as you, for half the pay. Unless you're working for a big company, or you manage to create the next Angry Birds, your chances at success are low. At this point you'd almost have a better chance at becoming a successful music artist.

Yeah, 10 people out of 500000000000000

IMO the fun in "programming" comes from very basic algorithm implementation and design and Software Architecture design, everything in the middle is hell.

It's really only fun or "fulfilling" if you're doing more than just programming. If you're building something that you're passionate about and you have a lot of creative freedom.

Working for some company to build some shitware that you don't give a shit about will get old fast, but building your own thing that you really like can be fun and rewarding, even if you don't make any money off of it. Or maybe you will make money off of it, who knows.

Bottom line, you need to do what makes you happy. And if you're really passionate about building some piece of software or a video game, who knows? Maybe it will turn out great and it'll get famous and you'll get rich. It could happen

can you do that?

>So why would anyone code for free softwares?

I can imagine students trying to get attention while working on a degree.

>but building your own thing that you really like can be fun and rewarding, even if you don't make any money off of it. Or maybe you will make money off of it, who knows.

So many do that but never finish projects or it takes years and people lose interest or there is something better out by then.

Still far better than many other jobs where even a single mistake can be fatal, literally and figuratively. In software development, you can just release patches to correct your mistakes.

The "fun" in programming is what you do while you're enjoying the massive amount of money made from whatever hip cool startup you're a part of cashes out.

I deliver pizza for a living. Lets trade, nerd.

Maybe you're just being a bitch. You haven't even started.

Well, depends severely on for what you are developing. If a serious mistake in airplanes software causes an accident, you can't patch the issue away.

I'm around Central-Western Europe.
My degree is accepted as a (partial) prereq for an EE MSc. I need to complete some missing classes, but yes, I can apply for an EE MSc with it.

More precisely If the amount of credits I miss is small enough then I can complete the missing courses parallel to the MSc. It gets harder, but doable.

The largest uni here also accepts engineers for Applied Physics MSc programs, but mostly EE/ME/Chem. Eng. guys. Getting in there would be harder than getting into EE.

Most companies are not aware of things like Programming Burnout. Also, in my case I developed new symptoms related to my PTSD, but that's mostly my fault for my life style.

Can we trade ? I'm also a cs major and really don't want to program,

I'm fucking doomed

>his job is to give instructions to a machine
>he hopes that this activity will somehow fulfill him
laughingthots.png

You don't necessarily have to stop writing code. If anything, making it big just makes it easier for you to enjoy programming, because once you're set for life you don't have to meet arbitrary deadlines or stick to a specific toolset/technology/language.

>herpaderpa I don't like programming, it's terrible
Sucks for you then. Maybe next time you'll get a career in something that you actually care about.

The only people who like programming are autistic betas happy to feel in control of something for once because at least the computer listens to them

MY

How are there so many pajeet programmers and engineers? 90% of videos and tutorials I find online for either subject is done by a broken English pajeet.

Why not just go for a computer science masters? It'd honestly fit your career better since most CE guys now do software engineering as well as hardware engineering.

That's because mathematics is far more interesting and fulfilling than programming.

Good you vile fucking normalfags

Get the fuck out of the profession asap

Bandwagon-hopping pieces of garbage

normalfags ruin EVERYTHING

I majored in cs cause I liked it and wanted to know more. But I hate programming, if anything you're the normal fag

I work as an embedded programmer, and I find it quite fun. Wish we didn't have so many "agile" meetings and bullshit deadlines though.

Too much wanking

>and user was never seen again
;-;

Video game programmers tend to enjoy their jobs.

I agree, 3 years into BS comp sci and working as a developer, I absolutely hate working with computers/software now

Prior to all that I was ricing leenux and writing open source

I believe your problems emerge from being full-time, 9-5 programmers, perhaps being employed in uninspiring, long-term projects.

I may be not the smartest and brightest "programmer", but doing QA (UAT/unit/integration) is still fun for me even after 2 years. I don't even code every day - good part of my day is mentoring, management and fucking around.

I also like QA because you basically get to tell everyone around what shit of a job they've done, further destroying their will to program.

Qa reporting. Code monkey writes shit code, so many bugs, such poor performance. Code monkey an heros.

There's a difference between programming as a hobby and being put through the repetitious hell that is corporate code

Well you could study something non meme like math or physic + learning C++ and python + algos + discrete math on your own and you would have today great interesting job with great salary.

With code monkey degree you are just manual labor of 22 century

>Seriously. Go meet any retired programmer or IT department guy. They HATE everything about programming and computers.

You could say the same thing for any profession. If you were only doing for the money to begin with, they'll never be happy.

There's literally a gorillion of them and they bandwagon to do coding because they see it as a way out of the miserable shithole of poverty that is their country.

>enjoyed the bit of simple programming I did in highschool
>think about doing CS in college
>complete math brainlet so go into IT instead
>first job in IT is a part time helpdesk gig and its exactly what I'd call "unfulfilling, life sucking and boring"
>right now considering switching my degree to CS to try my hand at higher math and programming again
>mfw these posts

/thread