osdisc.com/products/slackware/slackware-142-install-dvd-64bit.html
github.com/Dlackware/gnome
slackbuilds.org
sbopkg.org
slackware.com/~alien/slackbui
tieba.baidu.com/p/1034071418?see_
github.com/iSpeller/Slackware-Mu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can't find it on the Windows Store™. Will Ubuntu work?

Im already running superior hackintosh

no not really

Too many default configurations, a source based distro is better on this regard. I like is less saturated though.

what a waste
fair enough

gentoo

cause it's not y2k

debian master race

I'm on Debian stable. Planning to switch to slackware soon though to get gooder.

another distro is not a reason
good idea i used to use debian based distros

It's shit. Tried Salix OS, which is ok but the Salix repositories are too tiny.

AMDGPU-PRO is only officially supported on Ubuntu, RHEL/CentOS, and SUSE.

It's a hassle when Windows 10 came with a computer I find working on to be just as productive, if not more so.

salix is shit but Slackware is not salix in the same way ubuntu is not debian

Debian or Kali linux?

Kali every time

>Sup Forums give me one good reason why you don't have Slackware installed
Can you even install Slackware without windows?

yes

>yes
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?
That sounds preposterous to me.
If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realize that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to achieve. A lot of people dont realize this.
Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Win10, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.
Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.
I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

are you trying to argue that you have to dual boot windows and linux so it will run if so why do i have xubuntu on my macbook with no macos partition and some companies do sell ubuntu laptops with only ubuntu

>replying to pasta

When you dual-boot and you start Linux, you're obviously using Windows system files to talk to peripherals and what-not.

Because it now has pulseaudio. Gentoo and LFS master race reporting in.

no one ever said i was smart

Muh fedora is comfy

would not know i have not used enough of it to form a complete opinion installed it once did not like it after like 2 days and said fuck it

holy shits this is a real thing wtf osdisc.com/products/slackware/slackware-142-install-dvd-64bit.html plus Norton verified i might buy one for the meme any suggestions

Retard.

>uses nix, hasn't heard of slackware

>buys OS discs

How retarded are you exactly

k im just gonna refer you do this post(and I think it would just be a meme to buy free software)

>everything I usually do, I can already do on Windows
>does nothing useful for me that I can't already do on Windows
>have more experience with Windows so I can do things more efficiently on it
>not enough free time and willpower to bother

I mean i consider my computer not auto updating to the new cancer version after saying no or turing on my computer to see installing windows 10

I'm still on Win7. I never had a Win10 popup because I opted not to install the nagware updates. I also was never forced to restart my computer, only politely prompted that I should restart.

Never understood why anyone tech-literate would *not* set their Automatic Update preferences to manual download and install.

I also did rhat and made it so i would not download or check updates then i wake up turn on computer and boom windows 10 from 8.1

Because it's not 1994 anymore

I'm a loonix noob so my PC runs Xubuntu for now

and what does that have to do with anythin

I've heard it's for experienced users. I am not a linux vet. Good ol' lubuntu for me.

umm it really inst hard nothing about it is hard unless you consider building something from source to be hard

I jumped ship when AlienBOB lost his job. I was worried for the future of a platform that essentially couldn't exist without him and Patrick.

I also like GNOME, which wasn't supported last I checked. If I ever build a new desktop I'll probably go for slackware/KDE though.

Never lose faith and my buddy uses this github.com/Dlackware/gnome

Slackware is a fine distro, one of the foundations for what desktop linux is today, but it's dying. Userbase is shrinking rapidly and I know it's not going to last long.

I like having a functional package manager

1楼. Slackware 是现在Linux 社区中用户群较小的一个发行版,特别是在国内,几乎很难找到Slackware 的用户。不知道为什么似乎Slackware 渐渐给人形成了一种印象:“Slackware 的使用难度仅在LFS 之下,超过Gentoo 和Arch”。
这种说法似乎和极度阿卡林(没有存在感)的用户群和网上道听途说的流言有关:Slackware 的用户群相对小而且封闭,只在用户群当中进行必要的交流而对外界不甚关心;Slackware 容易给人错误的印象,最容易让人望而生畏的两点谣传则是完全手动配置和不解决包依赖。
事实上,这对一个使用难度只比Ubuntu 稍高一点的发行版来说有失公正。因为Slackware 在很多方面都被人误解:当你真正的使用后会惊讶的发现Slackware 和你印象中的那个地狱恶魔有很大不同,包括几乎纯鼠标配置的方式和小学三年级学生也能手动解决的依赖关系。

ik and its a shame but i should enjoy it while it lasts when do you think it will die
yeah and you can have that on slackware

1. 纯手写所有配置文件?
根据这6 年多的使用体验来看:只有部分配置文件需要完全手写,而且这一部分的数量要少于Ubuntu。
Slackware 很少对软件打补丁,也没有阉割过软件的功能,桌面环境提供的图形化配置会完好的被安装在你的Slackware 中。修改分辨率直接点鼠标好了,不需要弄清xorg.conf 的文件结构,事实上很多配置文件我从未弄清过。
剩下的一部分则是在大多数发行版下都需要手写的配置文件,诸如/etc/fstab 和~/.bashrc。但是Slackware 下提供一些图形化设置的脚本:
想指定桌面环境?运行xwmconfig,然后点鼠标。
想配置网络?运行netconfig,然后点鼠标。
想设置引导?运行liloconfig,然后点鼠标。
想设定时区?运行timeconfig,然后点鼠标。

fair points

Slackware 中有些配置文件确实要手写,但是这部分文件的数量要少于绝大多数发行版。仅仅是作为日常桌面系统使用的话,你手写的配置文件只有两个:/etc/profile.d/lang.sh 和~/.bashrc。
2. “所有人都应该能够自己解决依赖!”
Slackware 在依赖的处理上有一套自己简单粗暴的方法:所有同类的软件包都被放到一个特殊含义的目录,你所要处理的仅仅是这些目录的依赖关系。
例如你想安装kde,那么kde 需要依赖什么?
基本系统?是的。
系统库?是的。
X11?是的。

You got that wrong. Salix good. Slackware shit. Like Ubuntu and debian

I mean everyone can think what the want in my experience I believe that Salix is complete dogshit

在Slackware 中,基本系统是a 目录,系统库是l 目录,X11 是x 目录,KDE 是kde 目录。
假设我只安装了基本系统和系统库,那么我需要安装X11 和KDE 就好了:
slackpkg install x kde
我还缺什么?KDE 中文支持?是的我不喜欢英文。
KDE 多国语言支持是kdei 目录:
slackpkg install kdei
或者另外一个例子,我想安装fluxbox,我要如何处理依赖?
类似KDE,基本系统、系统库和X11 都需要吗?是的。
假设我只安装了基本系统和系统库,我需要安装X11:
slackpkg install x
fluxbox 是依赖X11 的程序,所以在xap 目录中,这个目录所有的包都需要安装吗?不是的,一个反证就是fluxbox 不依赖xfce:
slackpkg install fluxbox
上面是从软件源安装包时处理依赖的情况,自己编译的代码呢?
它无法编译吗?是的。
缺少哪个库?libsome.so
我该如何查找它在哪个包?slackpkg file-search libsome.so
"所有人都应该学会自己处理依赖",这个命题和"所有人都应该学会100 以内的加减法"一样,不是对人类过分的要求。

二、这是特性,不是缺陷

1. 我下载的DVD 就是软件源的全部?
尽管可能让你失望,但是事实就是这样的,不到1500 个软件包就是Slackware 软件源的全部。
幸好有半官方支持的SlackBuilds,这是和AUR 性质一样的网站,提供patch 好的大量SlackBuild 文件以完成打包和安装工作:
slackbuilds.org
同样有一个类似yaourt 的自动化处理脚本,提供dialog 界面和命令行两种工作方式:
sbopkg.org
这里还有一个类似archlinuxcn 的,编译打包好SlackBuilds 上小部分常用软件的"仓库":
slackware.com/~alien/slackbui
这些已经满足了大多数需求,常用软件例如flashplayer 和steam 都可以找到,事实上使用Slackware 很少用到slackpkg 和sbopkg 之外的软件安装方式。

give me a reason on why i should use slackware instead of manjaro

2. 我想要一个图形化的安装界面,而不是dialog 安装界面
很抱歉的是,Slackware 没有纯图形化的安装界面,你所看到的只能是一个个dialog 对话框,如果你对英语有些吃力,可以参考下这篇文章:
tieba.baidu.com/p/1034071418?see_
等你安装过一遍Slackware 后,你会发现Slackware 的安装脚本非常的灵活,你可以在任意时间跳转到任意步骤。
如果你已经对其他Linux 轻车熟路,相对于官方的安装程序,更建议安装一个基本系统后,挂载镜像并切换到对应目录使用upgradepkg 一点点构建自己的系统,就像你安装Archlinux 或者Gentoo 一样。

The stable updates don't break shit and I like security

三、这是缺陷,但可以克服
1. 我使用遇到了问题,但是找不到资料
这确实是一个很头疼的问题,大多数情况下,你首先会根据你的经验和推断来解决遇到的问题,其次你可以在google 或者是Slackware 的技术支持论坛上获得答案:
$ grep -i support /etc/os-release
如果你对英文比较吃力,而且又缺乏经验,你可能不容易找到问题的解决方案,因为国内缺少一个Slackware 用户的聚集地,Slackware 吧是一个地方,有问题可以发帖问下。
目前全世界范围内Slackware 用户似乎都已经不多,很多官方wiki 上的工具/项目都无人问津,例如已经有10 年历史的项目slapt-get(自动化解决依赖的包管理器)在github 上只有2 个star。不过这些并不是决定性的阻碍问题。Slackware 是一个比较稳定的发行版,而且几乎没有Slackware 独有的系统问题,绝大多数情况下你都能从其他社区中获得通用的解决方案。

2. Slackware 没有统一化的包管理方式!
是的,和你用Archlinux 时pacman/yaourt 解决一切不同,Slackware 缺少这样一个灵活且强大的工具。
最能感受到这个缺点的地方是在系统全面升级上,如果你跨版本升级你的Slackware,你需要做的事情是:
1. 升级官方仓库的软件包并安装新包
$ slackpkg update && slackpkg upgrade-all && slackpkg install-new
2. 如果安装了lib32,最好升级一下lib32
github.com/iSpeller/Slackware-Mu
3. 更新SlackBuilds 上的软件包
$ sbopkg -p > sbopkg.list
$ slackpkg clean-system
$ sbopkg $(perl -nE "/(.+?)-\\d/ and print \"-i \$1 \""

you gonna stop anytime soon?

然而如果你滚动升级(没错Slackware 的滚动升级已经有很久的历史了)你的Slackware,你不用升级你的lib32 和SlackBuilds 上的软件包,滚动升级一下官方仓库的包就可以了。甚至不少人会编辑「/etc/slackpkg/blacklist」文件,设定内核和compat32 的黑名单以禁止升级内核和lib32。
四、这是Slackware,但也是Linux
以上是一个使用Slackware 6 年多一点的用户所说的事情,可能无法完全客观,但能确定的是:
1. Slackware 是一个比较容易驾驭的发行版,或许比Ubuntu 稍难一点,但绝不像流言所说一样古板、反人类和难以驾驭,那不是真实的Slackware。
2. Slackware 是一个古老而灵活的发行版,它有一套自己的行为方式,你不能强求一个发行版为你改变,而需要去适应它。况且这种行为方式确实不坏,甚至习惯了反而会让人上瘾。
3. Slackware 是一个没有存在感的Linux 发行版,有着诸多的偏见和误解,但尽管如此它仍然是Linux。你尽可以顺从你的好奇心放手去试试它——因为你会Linux,所以Slackware 也不在话下。

Why are the chinks invading all of a sudden?

Because I have OpenBSD installed

Impressive uptime, I'm sure you totally use this device on a regular basis

>implying all Linux boxes on Sup Forums are not meme machines

Because every time you ask a Slackware user why they do a thing, they respond "why don't you?".

I wonder why his face turned brown.

He's turning into a fucking NIGGER

Hi grandpa!

95% of Arch users wouldn't even know how to install Slackware.

Its not endorsed by the fsf. I use parabola.

Gentoo is infinitely superior.

Because I'm too ignorant to use it. I got so frustrated trying to manually install dependencies for software that "just werked" on *ubuntu that I hopped to Xubuntu. I'm actually considering Void, but I'd like to give Slackware another try once I get a bit more friendly with GNU+Linux overall.

Because I'm a slacker.

are you made own terminal?

because the manpages are useless compared to OpenBSD
and KDE is too much like winblows