6700k owner

6700k owner
Convince me not to or convince me to do it
Workload
1080 sli- 4k gaymen
Photoshop
Premiere

its a waste of money if you currently have a 6700k...

ryzens are cool but its very illogical to "upgrade" from what you currently have. if you were starting from scratch i would say go for ryzen though

Outside of video rendering in premiere, you won't see any advantage.

You already have a 6700k, why would you buy 1700x?

I was told Ryzen destroys the entire intel lineup in everything

>I was told
>I did no actual research myself
By destroys, we're talking very, very minor gains in actual real world use. You won't even notice the change more often than not. If you were on a much older CPU and looking to build a new rig today? I'd suggest Ryzen if you're doing any media creation. Not so much when you already have a 6700k.

I mean I play games at 4k, I barely use any of my CPU in the first place
No bad frametimes
No "xd stutter maymay" cause that's kabylake
I never go above 30% usage in games

Would I really have no benefit whatsoever? I mean I looked up rendering times and the 1800x takes about 10 less seconds than my 6700k

>I mean I play games at 4k
you are gpu bound in that resolution, you would see no difference.

Was hoping I'd get the usual AMD shills into this thread and use their indian magic to convince me to get it
It's either this or upgrade from 16gb ram to 32 cause I'm actually starting to use above 14gb

I think buying DDR3 ram is a waste so If you want to get DDR4 then I guess upgrading you're whole system makes kinda sense, and it's not like AM4 is going anywhere for awhile since it has an upgrade path.
Fuck it OP go for it

this.

Unless you are literally swimming in money it's pointless

It's not ddr3
I have a 6700k it's ddr4, however skylake has ZERO upgrade path
I just got 500 to spend so I kinda thought I should put it here since I got nothing to put ion my car

for production purposes, sure, but totally unnecessary.

So what I'm getting here is
I bought my 6700k two years ago, it's perfectly fine, Ryzen is for worksation uses and I won't see any benefit in my tasks?
I mean, with the whole "corelet" memes being thrown around I assumed it would be a smart idea to "future proof" despite the meme that word has become

Like said, it's only worth it if you're upgrading from an older CPU. Your specific use case also doesn't include anything that uses 8 cores to any degree except video encoding. So it's not really worth it. Also, most reccomendations are for the 6 core 1600 or 1600X, which is less expensive.

If you want to encode videos while you're gaming at the same time, it's worth it.

>6700k owner

Save the money and get a 1700, you might lose 100MHz OC but it's not worth it. Otherwise, if you have to have the extra 100MHz you can spend a little extra and get it from silicon lottery guaranteed at 3.9GHz 1.376V, which means you could hit 4GHz at 1.4-ish V.

Never goes above 50C at 4.6 buddy, save the housefire meme for kabylake cucks, they are the ones with the housefire, skylake is better than kabylake

Not OP but would Intel or Ryzen be better for a machine that's just going to host VMs.

Ryzen
No contest
Although, you should probably wait until motherboard manufacturers push the most recent AGESA update in their BIOS revisions.

How well does Ryzen overclock, I'm legitimately one click from ordering Ryzen because I genuinely just don't like intel as a company, I bought it two years ago because it was the only option then.

>inb4 bad spelling and grammar
I've gotten drunk in the past two hours as alcohol alleviates my boredom from editing

I lie the idea of supporting the Non jew as my first desktop processor was a 6100

1700 might hit 4 GHz if you're lucky. 1700X is higher binned.

>better question

How long will it be until there's a reason to upgrade from a 4790k? Mines at 4.7ghz on water and have 1866 DDR3.

I'm kinda an overclocking whore
I was able to talk myself out of a 1800x becuase money
But I want to atleast reach my 6700k perfortmance in gaming, as long as I can do that then Ryzen 1700x is perfect for me
Right now all I care about is the same gaming performance, since if I reach the same performance then I know I will be pefectly fine and I will have an extra 4 cores and 8 threads at my disposal for the future

Like I said earlier, the difference is going to be 1-200MHz, if that. It's not worth it.

Unless you're the unluckiest man alive, a 1700 will hit 3.8GHz no sweat. Some will hit 4GHz with good VRMs and decent cooling. An 1800X might hit 4.2 with good VRMs/cooling. As a hint, the board in the OP is an example of good VRMs, but ASUS's micro-ATX boards are examples of bad VRMs.

Do you hit 100% CPU usage in gaymes you play? Do you need MOAR CORES for heavy multithreaded workloads? If the answer is no, then no.

>But I want to atleast reach my 6700k perfortmance in gaming, as long as I can do that then Ryzen 1700x is perfect for me
You'll be GPU bottlenecked anyway.

A [email protected] will get you there in most cases.

>I was told Ryzen destroys the entire intel lineup in everything
Nice b8 thread, faggot.

This. This is what you faggots have resorted to. I'm not even angry, I'm just disappointed.

SAGE
>I'm kinda an overclocking whore
MOAR BIBELINES!
MOAR BINGBUSSES!
MOAR NIGGAHURTZ
MOAR JIGGAWATZ
MOAR TDP!

No I really don't, the only time I hit 100% in load is with rendering but it really doesn't take that long
Will it realy?
It's not b* I wanna buy Ryzen I'm just drunk stop sperging
grow up I'm actually serious about buying Ryzen
When I said I wan;t AMD shills I meant people posting benchmarks bot you

Literally fucking gas yourself with your garbage bait thread.