How Do I Choose a Major?

I just got accepted into a pretty decent university but I can't choose a major. I'm interested in almost every subject dealing with computers, I have been programming since I was in elementary school and have actually accomplished a lot for being self taught considering my school never had any classes or clubs to help me. Now that I have the opportunity to learn whatever I want I can't decide. I really like the hardware side of things and want to learn more about databasing, security, etc. so IT/Cyber Security sounds good but I also want to become a better programmer so Software Engineering is also appealing. Right now I'm enrolled under Information Systems and it doesn't really seem to cover what I want to learn. The one thing I am almost certain of is that I will not be doing Comp Sci because I'm not into the theory of how everything works. Any input would help.

is that way

Do CS or CE or EE. SE and information systems are a meme.

>The one thing I am almost certain of is that I will not be doing Comp Sci because I'm not into the theory of how everything works
I was never strong in math or computational theory, but I learned how to enjoy it by doing CS.

University isn't about sailing through.

drink bleach

>information systems

isn't that basically just some programming courses with business shit thrown in? i've seen that at some colleges, but seems like a meme degree to me.

if i were you, i'd just stick to something like software engineering. you could still go into IT with that degree if you were to want to.

>isn't that basically just some programming courses with business shit thrown in

That's exactly why I want to switch, I wasn't strong in math so I figured it would be easier to get in under that major which worked.

are you a freshman, or a transfer student? have you taken a math placement exam at your uni, and if so, what level of math are you starting at? if you switched to something like CS or SE, will you have to also take physics?

these are all questions i would consider before switching a major in your case. because here, an IS degree doesn't require calc, physics, etc, but the vast majority of CS and SE degrees do, and if you were to have to take a sequence of those courses as a transfer, then i'm not sure it'd be worth the time to do so. but as a freshman, it'd be a different story.

I'm an incoming freshman, I haven't taken the math placement exam yet. I have always sucked at math, at least for the majority of my high school career (Cs and low Bs). The lowest grade I got in math was a C in Algrebra II, the rest were Bs, but I mainly blame the teacher for that, our class average was a C and I wasn't in the slow class. I'm hesitant to go after a degree in SE or CS for this reason but if the major is worth it (which it is) I can handle it. Also neither major requires Physics.

take the math placement exam and see how you fair and what class you'd have to start with. CS/SE will require a sequence of calculus, possibly linear algebra and differential equations, then discrete math.

it's still hard though to advise you to do anything. it'd be a shame if you really do suck at math, and your GPA suffers as a consequence, as opposed to if you stuck with IS and were a star student.

but for now maybe just take the placement exam, and do the courses that overlap between IS and CS/SE before actually changing the major. if you do wind up changing majors, and math remains difficult, just do as the Asians do (inb4 >cheat, i mean be diligent in your studies).

Math > CS
Physics > EE

Physics > Math

Anything below those is a meme.

Alright, that's probably the smartest thing to do. Thanks.

Sucking at math severely limits your options. Software engineers at my school have to take probability, discrete math, and calculus I and II. Data science majors take all that plus a lighter version of advanced linear algebra and an upper level stats course. Management Information Systems only requires finite math.
Nursing, philosophy, and psychology are popular employable no-math degrees.

>philosophy
>employable

You'll have to apply to law school after your philosophy degree, but there's definitely work as a lawyer. Apparently patent lawyer work benefits from having prior experience in tech.

>muh CJS
You'll have better chances with the philosophy degree.

Learn assembly and do device drivers.

Earn mad cash

Databases are being automated and outsourced or come as preconfigured stacks.

you need a STEM undergrad to work in patent law.

phd in math any job i want 300k starting

>I'm interested in almost every subject dealing with computers

If you're smart, ECE+Math
If you're a simpleton, CS
If you're retarded, IT/DBA
If mommy still dresses you, MBA

Math > Physics though idiot

>t. physicist

pick business and use the extra time to work on side projects

thats what i did. if you have programming experience they wont care anyways

I agree with this statement
>t.mathematician