Apple reportedly wants to use changeable E Ink keyboards

engadget.com/2016/10/13/apple-said-in-talks-for-e-ink-keyboard/

>Apple's plans for advanced laptop controls may extend beyond that rumored OLED touch strip. Both 9to5Mac and TrustedReviews report that Apple has been in talks to use a laptop version of Sonder Design's dynamic keyboard technology, which uses E Ink to change key labels on the fly. Just how Tim Cook and company would implement the hardware isn't clear, but it might work the way these keyboards have operated since the days of Art Lebedev's Optimus Maximus. If so, you'd get handy labels on keys as you switch contexts, such as brushes in an image editor or different characters when you switch languages.

>Although Sonder has confirmed that talks have taken place, it's not saying whether or not it has a deal. It only adds that it's "closing B2B procurement contracts" with three laptop makers, and that Foxconn (which helped get Sonder off the ground) and E Ink are helping.

Other urls found in this thread:

editorskeys.com/products/video-editing-keyboards/adobe-premiere-cc-wireless-keyboard/
youtube.com/watch?v=o03lWhKykBk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh boy, gimmicks. Who needs good keyboards when I can make my G key the Gentoo logo?

Good for professional tools since you don't need to buy a new keyboard with labels.

>look up keybindings
>waste time putting them on keycaps instead of just memorizing them
I forgot what kind of people Apple sold their shit to.

No, that's actually a dedicated editing keyboard. The labels are actually embedded into the keys.

editorskeys.com/products/video-editing-keyboards/adobe-premiere-cc-wireless-keyboard/

Hope it doesn't cost $1500 like this; youtube.com/watch?v=o03lWhKykBk

Their newest macbook pro keyboards must be for prepping the users for touchscreen keyboards

Its the only thing that explains the shittiness

This keyboard just BTFO'd all the gimmick mechanical keyboards completely how would Sup Forums EVER Recover?

>Apple reportedly wants to use changeable E Ink keyboards
That, I would like! I'm not a fan on Touchbar but a keyboard that I can edit to display anything and nothing appeals to me.

I would immediately set it to Colemak and reprogram a bunch of keys.

Apple, make it happen!

>Microsoft puts a touchscreen into the screen
>apple goes the opposite way and puts a screen into the keyboard

What the fuck are they doing?

It'd certainly help with different language keyboards. As well as switching to dvorak.

It makes a LOT more sense than putting LED screens into keys, that shit was dumb.

touchscreen into the screen:
> no taptic feedback

screen in the keyboard:
> taptic feedback

can we get one with a non shitty design?
like a model m or thinkpad keyboard but e ink?

That's actually pretty neat

Hey that actually sounds useful. I hope this becomes ubiquitous someday. I don't necessarily want it to replace the keyboards of today, but instead be a nice addition.

great, now MBPs will be even more expensive without getting any more features that any one wants to use

Too bad e-ink doesn't do colours so it's quite useless.

>only have to manufacture one type of keyboard for every language your OS supports

I think this is a little more than just a gimmick.

Sounds neat but isn't it going to be a gigantic mess to put a display on each key and have it all connected?

Except you can't. (At least) American, European and Japanese MacBooks all have different layouts.

But E-ink is capable of color at least since 2011.

>What the fuck are they doing?

Thinking different

doing it better

Universal layout that macfags will simply have to get used to

What's the point? If you even need marked keys, you already fail at computers.

What the fuck. How slow would your workflow be staring at your keyboard like that.

Apple decided to abandon their pro customers years ago, final cut X and the new Mac pro are a clear statement, so it is the new Macbook without f keys and SD card slot

OLED keyboards have been out since 2006

e-ink is a good idea but on a laptop ?

but they kept the 3.5mm audio-jack

>Bothering to type
??? If you even need a keyboard you fail at computers.

Not enough courage

Millenial retard spotted.

Even better on laptop, it barely even sips power

My kindle gets 1-3 week long battery life on a single charge.