/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stable-jessie-announce-052517
devuan.org
github.com/LinxGem33/OSX-Arc-Shadow
google.com/#q=linux multiple user permission
forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=133169
muen.sk/
scs.stanford.edu/histar/
freevms.net/
freedos.org/
github.com/brho/plan9
jnode.org/
kolibrios.org/en/
reactos.org/
gnu.org/software/hurd/
archhurd.org/
wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd
youtu.be/-ooyjGCades
github.com/jieverson/dotfiles/wiki/arch-linux-for-dummies
csdietz.github.io/arch-beginner-guide/
allaboutlinux.eu/remove-nouveau-and-install-nvidia-driver-in-debian-8/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for I like linux

First for Arch

What kernel are you using, Sup Forums?

Installing Tumbleweed. What to except?

Friendly reminder that debian is finished because devuan has been officially released..
devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stable-jessie-announce-052517
devuan.org

In Cinnamon non-focused windows add [ ] around the name. Any way to stop that?

billy g looks like a pussy slayer in that pic

nvm foudn it

[THREAD CLOSED]

4.11.2-ck

I disagree with the babby's first linux on installgentoo. Bunsenlabs is reddit-tier garbage compared to Crunchbang++.

Arch?

4.11.2-1-ARCH (noob so I don't even know if that's correct)

What is a good video editor for linux that one could do professional work with?

dualboot windows and use something decent like adobe's stuff

>paid subscription
it's good, but i've refused to use anything past CS6

it would be amazing if the courts struck down the subscription model of software like this if there isn't a way to buy it outright as well

this, subscriptions are fucking cancer and public companies are the ones pushing it

Flowblade, shotcut, kdenlive, davinci resolve (surely you know what the last one is). Flowblade I've liked over shotcut, but it doesn't work in Solus which I've taken to using lately. Davinci resolve apparently should work like it does on any other OS, but I have never had a successful installation of it on any distro.

Could a kind user try installing flowblade (py file) from source and/or davinci resolve (sh file) on their GNU+Linux distro?

public companies are the ones pushing it because without the subscription model they will go bankrupt

I remember hearing about some sort of GPU run-through for Linux where you use one GPU exclusively for Linux and another exclusively for a Windows virtual PC, where can I find out more about this?

Does this work with two separate video cards rather than only a card and integrated graphics?

How does that work when it comes to adaptive refresh rates like Freesync? Can I have Freesync running in the VM and it successfully eliminate screen tearing?

Does the Linux GPU need to support Freesync for it you to get the benefit of Freesync in the VM?

good, they are artificially being supported by stockholders. Multinational companies are a scourge.

install Source Mage

gpu passthrough
arch wiki

I'm using elementary os. How do I type in japanese on it? I used anthy before but I tried installing it and it didn't work.

How can I change the colour of the top bar to match the one from firefox, files, etc. (basically the rest of the theme) ?

Use the same thing for your wm/de as gtk/qt

nice

actually, I am installing Source Mage

I did.

I used ARC-OSX, but for some reason the colors are messed up.

firefox uses its own theme

No,firefox uses the gtk theme

github.com/LinxGem33/OSX-Arc-Shadow

They have a firefox theme and I have it installed.

The theme that's fucked up is the gnome-shell one from OSX-Arc, which is the one I want to change

Okay, but that doesn't answer any of my questions about Freesync,

Google young one.

My 6 year old laptop could barely run a browser when I had Windows 7 installed on it.

After lots of research, I decided to replace it with GNU/Linux fully. I downloaded Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Fast forward 3 months, I am running Linux Mint XFCE in a virtual machine on Antergos XFCE, and the virtual machine is running flawlessly.

I can have 3 programs open, while using a virtual machine to torrent and browse the internet with zero issues.

Look, I understand how Windows is good for programs like CAD, Photoshop, and gaming, but nothing compares to the feel you get from using GNU/Linux.

Thanks, Sup Forums. This is the true redpill

Yeah man, it's great isn't it.

I know that feeling.

>that fucking huge bar at the top
firefox, not even once

can someone help me get wifi working on tahrpup? have a dell 1510 wifi card

If that's the output of "uname -r" Then yes

let us say for example i download the latest version of ubuntu server basically any linux os without a de or wm... and for instance on ubuntu server there is only a shell -- why is it when i download let's say mate or xfce it does not install all the goodies that come with ubuntu mate or xubuntu? am i missing something here? is it also a bad idea to install multiple de/wm?

Good.

because it's not configured or missing extra packages that do not come with the DE

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

When there is a distro specially for a DE it usually gets lots additional stuff like patches, theming, etc it not really a good idea to install multiple DEs unless you really know what you do, but you can install as much as WMs you want.

It's so easy a monkey could do it. There is no reason not to install Gentoo/Arch/Void and build from the ground up.
>hurrrrrrrrrrr where do i get themes

I've got a file with permissions -r-sr-x--- and owner "user3" group "user2". As user2 how can I read this file?

Thanks to the god emperor for that. What you call goodies are random picks by maintainers and unnecessary for other people with dissimilar preferences.

Thank you god emperor.

arc shell theme

google.com/#q=linux multiple user permission

botnet

chmod g+r file

>sending people to google
Would you gently kill yourself? The internet has enough "LOL u dumb, google it" faggot.

Not it doesn't make you look smart.

So my PC just started shutting down randomly during playback with mpv. I'm on antergos. When I look for the system logs, it appears as a normal reboot, and the cpu temp is 30 c and the gpu is 61 c, so it's not overheating. I saw on the issue tracker that mpv with hardware decoding is having a memory leak, but would full memory just shut down my pc? Or is my power supply dying? Pls respond.

>google

g already has r

just installed 4.11.3.2-ck-ivybridge, but I still need to configure it. Feels comfy

Could
May 27 00:19:03 user kwin_x11[857]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 46748, resource id: 35670564, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
May 27 00:19:03 user plasmashell[862]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 22727, resource id: 62914562, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
May 27 00:19:04 user plasmashell[862]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 22832, resource id: 4194309, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
May 27 00:19:04 user plasmashell[862]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 22980, resource id: 62914562, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
May 27 00:19:04 user plasmashell[862]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 23144, resource id: 4194309, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
May 27 00:19:07 user kwin_x11[857]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 49201, resource id: 35682128, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
May 27 00:19:07 user kwin_x11[857]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 49202, resource id: 35682128, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
May 27 00:19:07 user plasmashell[862]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 23423, resource id: 65011728, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
May 27 00:19:07 user plasmashell[862]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 23442, resource id: 4194309, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3[\code]
cause a reboot?

Possibly.
forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=133169

So I guess it's time to drop kde? Jesus Christ, its so unsettling to watch animu and then suddenly your PC reboots for no fucking reason.

So we all know that you cant set custom css for your firefox about:home page without the url bar changing to be a pointer to the file location, but is it possible to do it on gnu/ linux, even if by editing the source then compiling?

I like Openbox+Tint2. No problems, and low RAM usage. Of course, it requires more setup but for me it's worth the responsiveness.

install fluxbox

apache, localhost

Friendly reminder that Linux is just the kernel. Other kernels are:
The Muen Separation Kernel muen.sk/
and HiStar scs.stanford.edu/histar/

Operating Systems under GPL are:
FreeVMS freevms.net/
FreeDOS freedos.org/
Plan 9 github.com/brho/plan9
JNode jnode.org/
KolibriOS kolibrios.org/en/
ReactOS reactos.org/

Special mention to GNU/Hurd gnu.org/software/hurd/
Arch Hurd archhurd.org/
Debian GNU/Hurd wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd

Is it possible to change the frequency of MuQSS without recompiling?

hi, im being spastic about theming and this cunt theme in omz isn't working properly and I can't apply the fix for it. The theme is trapd00r and I get this line on every command run
prompt_jnrowe_precmd:20: command not found: zsh_path

no

o fug

is there much of a difference running a liveUSB off of a slow USB 2.0 flash drive or a significantly faster USB 3.0 drive?

How can I change my login manager from whatever ships with Antergos to a cmd-only login?

Okay, I've tried about three times but I can't get Lubuntu to install. It's the latest build (17.04, I think) and everything goes fine until a certain point where it just says:

The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB bootloader, the installed system will not boot.

I am getting a bit frustrated here. I checked the ISO, and it's ok, so, what could it be?

how would that fix it?

Just uninstall your login manager and it will default to cmd

Yes. For testing purposes, no.

Did it normally work before?
Did you mount and specify the device? If all else fails, try syslinux.

I had Ubuntu MATE before on this drive, I don't know if it matters...
In any case, will first installing the LTS (16.04.2) and then upgrading it to 17.04 make it work?

I did mount the partitions correctly; the default EPS (I forgot the actual term) partition size was around 579 MB.

Just finished installing Gentoo on my x60t. Went from Parabola to the mustard race in only a few hours. First time working with Gentoo too. Honestly was really straightforward. Just a bit time consuming. Glancing at the handbook a few times was all I needed. Course I only barely configured the kernel from what the defaults were but I'll do that after I've messed around with it a bit more. Really liking portage.

I'm helping my friend install arch linux and when we run
pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel

it gives us this output:
==> Creating install root at /mnt
==> Installing packages to /mnt
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core
core.sig
error: GPGME error: No data
error: failed to update core (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
extra
extra.sig
error: failed to update extra (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
community
community.sig
error: failed to update community (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: failed to synchronize any databases
error: failed to init transaction (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
== ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root

I copied all of that by hand so I may have made a typo here or there. Respond asap because we're tired and want to sleep.

I forgot to mention, we're following this tutorial youtu.be/-ooyjGCades

Sup /fglts/, just installed arch from a year with ubuntu.

Lurked screenfetch threads, but still kind of vague what to do for my DE and themes to go along with them. Any help?

I just installed successfully with github.com/jieverson/dotfiles/wiki/arch-linux-for-dummies and csdietz.github.io/arch-beginner-guide/

show us your pacman.conf (I assume you uncommented your mirrorlist)

Your router doesn't like the mirror you're trying to sync from. Open etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist with nano and place the mirror closest to your location at the top of the list. Then try again.

Cool, I'm using Arch too btw.

specifically, nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and cut/paste a more local mirror to top of file and then try to # pacstrap /mnt

I did that, we're using the first one for US. Try the second one I guess?

Do you NEED a DE or will a WM suffice? Avoid KDE due to problems like

Note that there's a slash before the etc (e.g. /etc) and that you have to remove the pound symbol on the mirror line (e.g. #)

Why do i have so many text editors installed by default? nano, gedit and libre office. i get nanos good for cli stuff but whats the purpose of gedit vs libre office?

Uncomment all of them for starters.

How to disable nouveua kernel driver and correctly blacklist it on debian?

Light weight vs. heavy weight. Different functionality. If you do not like bloat, do not use distros that ship with bloat.

Basic run down on difference? Used to full DE like ubuntu and windows. Can I use things like a 'firefox' or any other gui app with a WM? Cool thanks to avoid kde.

They're all uncommented. I just tried the first four for the US and the first one for Canada and all produce the same output.

Libre Office is for documents (mla, ect.) gelut is more for coding (syntax highlighting, errors, ect.)

allaboutlinux.eu/remove-nouveau-and-install-nvidia-driver-in-debian-8/

>Now its time to blacklist the nouveau driver.

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

>and add the following lines:
blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

Your pacstrap command looks different from the one I used successfully. Try pacstrap /mnt ?

Is dhcp working. Try ping -c 3 www.google.com and see if you get three packets back.

Ran both
pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
pacstrap /mnt
and both produced the same result

Yeah we can connect to the internet. Just pinged.

gedit, not gelut. but yeah your write, i just realised you an change through plaint text to whatever syntax. Still what use is just a text editor without a compiler and manager (like eclipse)

>google.com
>not stallman.org