BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS, etc.

IRC -> #baot @ irc.rizon.net

freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs

Curious Linux user? Ask questions, get answers.

Ask in IRC for fewer troll responses. Ignore license shitposting.

Spoonfeed me on zfs.

>Installed freebsd
>Can't run glxgears to check out my 1080

What word processing options do I have with BSD?

the same as on linux

WTF is /compact ?

>install freebsd
>cannot make X work
>install gentoo

>disgusting deviantart-style and poor character design
They're not even cute for fucks sake. I think this pretty accurately represents the state of *BSD.

How useful is a BSD system as a daily driver on a desktop?

With GNU/Linux I have all the software I need for digital art, programming, web browsing, watching videos and listening to music. Very useful and I have no reason to go back to Windows or buy a Mac. However I am curious about BSD. Is it just as useful?

they look like your typical early 2000's flash animation/game graphics

not terribly high quality, though i do have a soft spot for early 2000's anime style

>Is it just as useful?
yes
if you're interested in unix, try it

does anybody know how illumos compares to BSD, pros and cons?

What's "freebsd" do you mean TrueOS?

Try checking out you're quads.

TrueOS:FreeBSD :: Ubuntu:Debian

Install mesa-demos.

doea anyone run haiku?

How does it make you feel that your shit will never be as popular as Linux?

how does it feel to know linux will never be as popular as windows

It's not great, but the knowledge that there will always be suckers who're even worse off makes it much easier to endure.

It feels good actually. I'm posting from windows right now but I'm deeply thankful that windows will always be around to shit up for normals
Windows could actually be a fantastic os if it didn't have so much shit bolted on to help primitive humanity use it.
Most things that are wrong with linux are also the result of lowering it's learning curve.

too much edgy

How does it feel to be that fucking stupid that you don't realize that choice is good and that all of the FOSS operating systems actually want the same thing -- provide a good, solid base for people to do their computing on, as a free and open system that you can tinker to your needs. There is absolutely no fucking reason to hate any system like that. Closed ones on the other hand...

I couldn't care less.

exactly, same for me, an openbsd user

Nice taste in anime. One of my favorite shows from the early 2000's.

This is one of my primary problems with windows. Try to do something simple, and it wastes time trying to figure out what it thinks you want to do, rather than just doing what you told it to do.

Then there is always the Win Telemetry BS, and privacy issues ...

past and present openbsd user here

drivers and ease of maintenance has pushed my usage only to servers / firewalls / etc

kind of wish there was more activity in the space but there isn't

when i first started using the mailing lists were better but for the past couple years it feels like ive just been pushing my own patches and just stopped reading ones that didnt pertain to security

ultimately i think whatever is coming "next" be it memes like genode or something seL4 based is going to arrive before we know it and i wonder who will bother to come to theos playpen then

not me

Only been using for under half a year on my laptop but I mostly like what I have experienced. What exactly pushed you off desktop?

OpenBSD router now in place. I have become a god.

Are there any idiot-proof tutorials about this "bsd" business?

Just understanding what it is in a quick and comprehensive manner would do it.

yes, the openbsd FAQ or the freebsd handbook

I too am interested in this
any links to some good guides?

idk

How do you like it?

Seconding the FreeBSD handbook at least is great and I hear good things about the OpenBSD documentation.

welcome to BAOT.