Elder Nations Thread

ITT: Mature discussion of world events from nations that have existed long enough to actually have an opinion worth a damn.

Invited: any nation that is at least 200 years old.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mieszko_I_of_Poland
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

daily reminder that the US constitution is the oldest still-used governing document

if the democrats have a say, not for long

We're not even 100.

>touhou
Have you learned nothing
Must I BEAT some sense into you?

soon finfriends

>Elder Nations Thread
>ITT: Mature discussion

And yet you open the fucking thread with a 2D Chinese cartoon girl.

>America thinks it's old

jesus christ

Do all americans lack self-awareness?

>The history of the United Kingdom as a unified sovereign state began in 1707 with the political union of the kingdoms of England and Scotland.

You're literally 69 years older than us.

>1818
two more years little Chile, til then stay out.

In our current form, yes. But that's like saying that the US is only 57 years old because Hawaii became a state in 1959.

>My nearest city's cathedral is 658 years older than America

our declaration of independence was in 1810 retard

Well England is technically from 1066, when Norman William the Conqueror was proclaimed king in Westminster Abbey.

So you're more like 710 years older than the US, but meh. You still have ugly women, so we win.

the bantz are weak here

torries get out

>Let's have a mature discussion!
>Posts a weebshit picture in the OP
>MY COUNTRY IS OLDER THAN YOUR COUNTRY!

k den

By that logic you'd be only 37 years older than us, the last change to your union was 37 years before Hawaii became a state (last change to our union)

>In our current form, yes.
Well if we start shifting goal-posts like that then we might as well accept various tribes as first nations.

Would you please fuck off?

Please let us join we are so close(193 years)!!!!!

Why should a 230-year-old constitution remain unchanged? Times change, the laws should too.

Depends on when you consider Frace to start.

Some consider Vercingetorix uniting Gaul against the Romans as the start. The most common narrative is that France was born with with Clovis converting, uniting the invading germanic Franks with the Gallo-Roman people. Others consider the breakup of Charlemagne's empire to be the start. For others, it started with French revolution. I've even seen some say that it only really started with the Fifth Republic, for some reason I can't understand.

>American education

literally just an observation

In that case, the US is 400 years old which is really pretty close to the modern european nation 2bh, considering that those only came about really in the 1000-1300 period

>Others consider the breakup of Charlemagne's empire to be the start
this is when France starts

1000+ yr old reporting in

more like
>75 years ish

>this thread

You gave us Linux so it's okay Pekka :^)

Latest amendment to the constitution was 1992. It's just a pain in the ass to do because of how much coordination is necessary.

>sovereign state = nation

Dumb Ameridumbs.

How is that Constitution still such a joke? One would figure with such long time someone would have gone trough the extra effort to fix it properly.

In reality, France as a political entity is born at the end of 12th century.

Philippe Auguste become "King of France" in 1180 (rather than "King of the Franks"), and he conquers huge clay for his new kingdom.

Because proposed amendments must be first approved by at least 2/3rds of both houses of congress and then at least 3/4ths of the states (38/50 in 2016) must ratify the amendment in their legislatures.

The amount of effort it takes for this to happen is mind-boggling.

Does human nature change?

No.

What are you, on your 5th republic?

Sounds about as stable as Nigeria t.b.h.

Here's a sweet gif, my republican brother

America is not invited

Charlemagne
>french

>his state is 26 years old

kek

Franks -> Frankreich -> France

What's the problem? Are you still butthurt that France defeated you so hard in 1815 that you swore eternal neutrality?

One of the oldest countries in Europe that still to this date keeps their historic name and about the same borders reporting in

I can't really believe France existing as a country until Charlemagne broke. I mean what would you even try to call them?

Nigeria is a fake nation (it's just a sovereign state that pretends a "Nigerian people", unheard of in history, now exists).

France needn't a political form to exist, the French nation exists regardless of the sovereign entity who taxes her.

Franks =/= French. That's like saying Romans are Italians

Polish country is catholic and existing from 966

our first official ruler
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mieszko_I_of_Poland

yeah thats because all the Romans went to the now developed world

Actually, I think we're even the oldest one in whole of Europe if you don't count states like the Lombard Kingdom as Italy or the Frankish Empire as France

IMO the closest French state to modern France is West Francia when gavelkind fucked Carolingian empire

nobody gives a shit

>mfw the leafs refer to the indians as the "first nations"

The modern Italy is the one from 1861 so Lombardy is definitely not counted. And you're technically the Bulgaria when you broke free from the Turks the same as Russia from Soviet Union cos Soviet Union =/= Russia :^)

if you kill your natives, they win

>ITT: Mature discussion of world events from nations that have existed long enough to actually have an opinion worth a damn.

>US

>>I'm the same age as my country