Net neutrality

Is repealing net neutrality really a good thing?

Think about it... we all know the internet is 70% shills and the world was better back in the 90's before everyone joined the internet. Net neutrality will turn the internet into something more like TV. Instead of allowing any joe schmo to set up a server and get their message out, it will only be the big "networks".

The internet was a mistake.

Is that a wry joke?

>we all know the internet is 70% shills
>people literally having their identities used by dummy accounts to post anti neutrality statements

>Instead of allowing any joe schmo to set up a server and get their message out, it will only be the big "networks".
How does this help anyone but the monopolies by reinforcing those monopolies?

I have my own server running for file sharing, it's even legal. It's mostly screenshots and work files.
What you are proposing is going to completely destroy this project. Tell me, why should I support that?

Tv is far worse than internet though. Paying for channels you don't need is monopoly garbage

>Is repealing net neutrality really a good thing?
It's not, don't believe the corporate jew telling you otherwise.

>Is repealing net neutrality really a good thing?
no

Comparing the internet to TV is a good way to lose your argument immediately because TV fucking sucks and everyone agrees. It's losing subscribers at a rapid pace.

OK, that was a great explanation as to why we shouldn't get TV, not an argument on why net neutrality being gone is bad

I remember my girlfriend's shut-in mother showing me this picture. In 2006.

Oh you're trying to say NN will turn the internet into TV. That's even more absurd. How does treating data equally so there's no favorites in the market mean fewer competitors?

it'll make things like they were in the 90's when everything was good.

>2006
>netflix

are you even trying?

What blocks you to use a vpn and own/other than your isp dns to achieve sites out of your bought pavkage in this case?

It will lock in existing players and lock out others. If you hate the current market it wont improve when you get rid of NN

I agree with you. Why let everyone have an equal say? Some Joe Nobody should not have the same ability as Comcast (which has not paid me to promote this message, I love them for who they are). The big companies should be allowed to silence anyone they please. Net neutrality is obamacare for the internet, which is an excellent soundbite but please do not ask me to actually explain it, because...

Anyway, net neutrality is bad because a talking head on tv says so. This talking head is aligned with my political views, and I generally do not listen to the message, I just the accept what I am told.

To be fair, netflix was founded in 1997 and had streaming services in 2007.

>Instead of allowing any joe schmo to set up a server and get their message out, it will only be the big "networks".
that's literally what happens if we abandon net neutrality
are you retarded?

>The big companies should be allowed to silence anyone they please.

That's what Google/Apple do with their app stores.

Why aren't you crying about that?

>that's literally what happens if we abandon net neutrality

NN didn't exist until 20+ years the internet had already existed. And it was only implemeneted as a pseudo-law in 2015.

So, no, that didn't happen, retard.

yes, we have to get rid of net neutality now so comcast can actually give us quality service at correct prices

>Use vpn to visit all these services
>Gets arrested because I cant visit whatever the fuck I want in the country of freedomâ„¢
feelsBadMan

that's my point. I want to kill the internet.

>I want to kill the internet.

Why are you retarded or just enjoy taking away things that people want simply because people want it?

Will this affect IRC and peer to peer stuff like bittorrent? The OP image seems to revolve around websites

>That's what Google/Apple do with their app stores.
And is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

>I do not want to starve.
>But there are people starving in Africa, why aren't you crying about that?

we don't deserve the internet

it would be a good thing if they just got rid of the http internet and only allowed people to talk via IRC

2)During those "20 years" (Not right) the typical consumer internet connection was a trickle so it was not yet a threat to serious content delivery>
2) The cable and phone companies were all ran by old faggots who were so stuck in their ways they wanted to figure out how to preserve the markets the way they were... so they thought with the right moves and magic for some reason we'd all be watching cable television.

One of few reasons why I dont have cable/sat tv.

>Think about it... we all know the internet is 70% shills and the world was better back in the 90's before everyone joined the internet. Net neutrality will turn the internet into something more like TV. Instead of allowing any joe schmo to set up a server and get their message out, it will only be the big "networks".
You're using the right reason for the wrong argument. Yes, the internet was better before everyone joined because people were actually creative and didn't depend on massive media aggregation conglomerates to make their voices heard. If people had their own TV channels, TV would be infinitely better. What makes TV bad is because you only get to operate a channel if you're rich. And to stay rich, you have to appeal to the widest audience. That's what's happening with the internet.

You're arguing for net neutrality, even if you don't realize it yet. Huge companies fuck everything up in their endless search for more profit.

>it would be a good thing if they just got rid of the http internet and only allowed people to talk via IRC
I agree the normalfag internet is a disgusting shithole but we have a better chance of making an open peer-to-peer wireless network for ourselves than kicking the AOL faggots back to the pay per minute bullshit they deserve.

>Net neutrality will turn the internet into something more like TV

no one on Sup Forums watches TV. I haven't had cable TV in over 10 years. Cable TV is cancer.

Repealing net neutrality is a bad thing if you aren't going to remove all of the regulations in place that stop competition.

Repealing net neutrality along with all the other shitty regulations that stifle competition is a good thing.

It's basically like removing a statue at the top of a building everybody wanted to demolish and claiming you did what everybody wanted

NN was first implemented in 2010. It was technically a thing on the internet when all we had was dial up as well because phone lines are common carriers under title II.

>girlfriends
>my

I got cable tv supplied by my condo association. There's some 17 channels for everyone. Then you can pay extra for more channels. I think.

What I really can't understand is why the cable companies never let you pick the exact channels you wanted. Instead they bundled them. So if you wanted 3 animu channels, then you had to pay for three bundles. Not for the three channels.

>You're using the right reason for the wrong argument. Yes, the internet was better before everyone joined because people were actually creative and didn't depend on massive media aggregation conglomerates to make their voices heard.
Ergo: "Social" media.

So how do we fix this? Pretend that social media doesn't exist?

It should be obvious why cable companies bundle channels.
Social media is not what he's talking about. He's talking about NBC and netflix. Social media is literally all user generated content

UR A DUM