Why aren't you using Arch Linux?

Why aren't you using Arch Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bFbDcASSwEA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because I'm already using a stable operating system called Gentoo.

because I am using fedora

Void, Alpine, and Devuan are the next wave of autism is why. Get with the times, gramps.

I am though senpai

Its not endorsed by the FSF. I run Parabola GNU/linux-libre.

I'm running Ubuntu. Should I switch?

Because I'm having a wireless driver issue I haven't solved yet

Gentoo works for me.

Because I don't have to install anything else to Debian once I set it up.

>not using multiple distros

Been using it for maybe 5-6 years now.

Next Laptop I'm buying gets Manjaro, though. Just to try it out.

because i'm using windows 10 since it lets me do literally anything arch users can with 0 effort

>gentoo exist
>youre using arch
are you wot or retarded

Can you install updates without rebooting?

why would I ever use that?

GNU/Arch Linux user here
things are getting a bit bloated with over 730 packages though maybe i should re-install it again

Because contrary to what you keep on claiming, everything just werks on win10. Had no issues with it so far.
I keep on waiting for something to annoy me to the point of wanting to switch to Linux, but so far it seems like a pointless hassle.

because i use Antergos

I can have it update when I turn off my PC which is like every night

I use Win10 and I wish I could switch to linux but I can't play Overwatch or PSO2 in it.

So what you're saying is there are some pretty basic things you can't do that literally every arch user can. I guess that makes what you said earlier false then, doesn't it?

Because I'm using Ubuntu Mate, the best justwerks distro.

Just do pacman -Q and start looking at what is all installed. You should have an idea of what is and is not needed.

Have you tried? You could try Wine or a VM. Personally, I don't think Windows-only software is worth using, but if you feel differently, you definitely have some options.

Maybe you should kill yourself and actually use your shit instead of just ricing it.

My time is valuable

i know but i just feel its easier to do a clean installation now and again instead of trying to remember what packages do what

"no"
stop being mad because your to retarded

>instead of trying to remember what packages do what
>I randomly install shit
And somehow I am the retard.

>implying you dont install random shit
stop acting a nigger

that's a rare pepe
mind if i save it?

To be honest I'm thinking of trying and I've already got arch ready to install in a usb stick, but I'm worried about performance. My PC is a semi-toaster so I'm guessing running something like Overwatch in a VM would impact performance a lot, but I have no idea how Wine works.

I wouldn't mind using it for work purposes at all though, everything I need for that already has a linux version...

I am though
nope, learn to troubleshoot a little and then switch by using arch-anywhere and using the arch wiki for troubleshooting
What card?
autism, less packages doesn't equal better. I have 900~ish packages just for fun more packages don't bloat/slow you down

because it was shit, is shit and always be shit (and irrelevant)

fyi you can peruse through a graph of your installed programs and spot ones you really don't need. If you don't know what something does or at least if you want it installed, then you're not living your life correctly.

just buy a new one, they are very cheap

because i have a job

>literally taking time to enter to a thread and leave a comment.
>can't take the same time to try Arch.

Can you go into more detail and tell me how to do in windows also

I can't unsee the fat guy in the logo

I don't know if anything like that exists for Windows, the pic I posted is the product of an Arch Linux tool called pacgraph.

>tfw run Arch that you haven't updated in about a year on a 10 year old samsung i5 laptop
just werkz famalama

Gentoo is far superior in every way.

kek

>My PC is a semi-toaster so I'm guessing running something like Overwatch in a VM would impact performance a lot, but I have no idea how Wine works.
Don't bother with Wine

Because, i am already using the best OS
Qubes OS

Because I need my secondary computer to be as stable as possible so I have it on Ubuntu

Oh and because I know some sperg will meme about some other distro being more stable, I can only say that in ~5 years of using Ubuntu I've yet to experience a significant system crash so that's good enough for me

No support for the Adobe suite and DAWs that are actually worth using. I want to make the switch to Linux but I don't want to fuck around with VMs or Wine just to be able to use the programs I need.

And no, Gimp and Krita aren't alternatives to Photoshop and there's no Linux alternative to Lightroom, the only free program worth using is Davinci Resolve.

1- I have a life
2- I have a job
3- I have a girlfriend and a loving family
4- I dont need it
5- I dont need to boost my anonymous internet points by having it on my screenfetch thread post

Should I install Gentoo, *BSD or a third alternative? Is there currently a flavor of the month?

With wine expect not being able to run games that have ~60fps on ultra in windows to run at ~30fps in wine at medium-low.
This depends on the game, but most "new" titles (dx10+ era) ran like that for me - starcraft 2 most noticebly. Just dual boot, play what you can on linux and wait for more native games (which often are shitty ports but more linux users = more games designed to run on linux natively in the long run)
Wine is great for old games though, most run better than on new windows versions, but i would want the wine devs to focus on compatibility with production software

how do u achive such low ram on startup?
welp, but shitty ubuntu look.

You using W10, dubsman?

you're the goddamn tard. Don't show off your arch if you reinstall everytime you don't know what's happening.

Rather de-evolve to ubuntu if you don't have a clue what the fuck is going on in your system.

Meme believers like you are the reason why Arch is hated so much in here.

>DE: i3
Time to kms

Always Gentoo

>spend more time "ricing"/troubleshooting your os than doing actual computer stuff
It's not even FSF approved

Wait,
I am using arch.

>durr why don't you use what i use durrrrrrr

>girlfriend
>have
>i

because it has systemd

My system crashed again

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggg :--DDDD

Everything has systemd now.
You can run another init system o Arch.

using guixsd

Kolibri master race here :D

Because I realized that all Linus distros are the same, only the community, userspace and default apps/confs are the only differences.

You can compile from source in Ubuntu, you can make a minimal instalation with pining packages in Ubuntu. You can install hipster tiling WM. You can bleeding age (if you use PPA, official repos, upstream or source code).

tl;dr: I don't need it, I use Ubuntu.

>Linus distros

You're wrong, distros differ in their repos and that's a big difference.
You can't install packages as comfortably in Ubuntu as in Arch.

>comfortably

you are talking about comfort. I am talking about if it can be done or not.

You can do it too. It's harder in Ubuntu? Yes, just like it's harder to have default desktop quickly in Arch.

It can be done. Maybe you are just too dumb and lazy to do it in Ubuntu.

>he can't pin packages
>he can't compile from source unless he uses meme software like portage or yaourt
>he can't modify defaults in Ubuntu, IN FUCKING UBUNTU.

who is the brainlet, Archfag?

I can do things in a messy and/or manual way, but why, when I can do them in a clean and/or automatic way?

By that logic you should use Brainfuck since it's turing complete.

I do it on Debian.

Because everything is made to work with Ubuntu and I can't be arsed to fix things up to get them to work anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=bFbDcASSwEA

What exactly is "made for ubuntu"?

I wish I didn't have to go out of my way to get rid of systemd on my Arch installs because Arch is pretty good besides that cancer.

wow master of the memes

because I installed debian testing on a different laptop and it works

because it has systemd

Ewwww.

I installed it a few days ago on a spare old laptop, but I want to install it on my actual laptop and desktop. How good are Manjaro and Antergos compared to it? I liked the installation process of Arch and learned a lot but I don't want to go through it again at least for a while.

nice botnet

Antergos is literally just Arch with an installer and an extra repo for some extra stuff. The Antergos installer is great, just keep clicking next.

I just don't see any reason to use it. I went back to Xubuntu because everything was there already and it comes configured. I can remove unnecessary packages and I end up with roughly the same amount of packages and memory footprint. 17.04 has all the package I really want and everything else I can get through ppas. AUR is nice to have but it's barely useable considering half of the packages are old and development has stopped.

Arch and Ubuntu repositories are about the same and I can't really say I ever benefitted from the whole bleeding edge thing. It was more annoying because I constantly had to update my system.

I like the Arch approach more, but I don't have time or energy to configure absolutely everything, and partly I don't have enough knowledge to get everything just right.

Thing a low memory footprint Arch installation was good on my T60 but on my T420s I have enough resources to run whatever the fuck I want, really. I just don't see why I should have Arch on it.

I have work to do.

I will go for it then. Thanks user!
I though Manjaro would be more stable or something since it's been around for way longer but if Antergos is actually Arch then fuck yeah I'm in.
When you first log in, can you use the wifi instantaneously or do you have to install networkmanager, enable the systemctl service, start it etc?

I'm semi-autistic, but not autistic enough to run a distribution degenerate diaper wearing furries, MLP horse fuckers and morbidly obese pedophilic weeaboo neckbeard manchildren

It just works! Manjaro is slightly more stable but that's because the Manjaro devs use their own repos and hold off on releasing Arch updates until Arch users essentially beta test it. Manjaro tries to be more of a distro based on Arch like how Ubuntu is based on Debian while Antergos is straight up Arch for people who don't feel like doing the manual install all over again for another machine.

To add to this, Manjaro uses its own patched kernel while Antergos uses the vanilla Arch kernel.

fuck I can't decide now. Antergos is exactly what I was looking for but then I need my desktop to be stable. Guess I'm trying both. I heard that with Manjaro sometimes shit breaks because of the backwards compatibility from Arch, but probably not that big of a deal.
patched how? what's the difference?

Manjaro is the justwerks distro now.

I don't know the details but I do know when you screenfetch in Manjaro, the kernel has "Manjaro" appended instead of just "ARCH" to it so they must do something different.

I personally use Antergos because I like the bleeding edge life. I put Manjaro with the LTS kernel on my sister's laptop because I want her stuff to be stable enoug that I don't have to do any troubleshooting for her. Also Manjaro theme is green which is her favorite color and Antergos is blue which is mine.

I have Ubuntu Mate on my desktop and Arch on my laptop.
Yeah going to try it tomorrow. Looking to get rid of Ubuntu.
Yeah I noticed that when I googled images. Definitely trying both out.

FONTS

fresh arch install
>ttf-dejavu
>noto-fonts

What else about the fonts?

Infinality
Anonymous Pro
Terminus

are infinality still a thing?
I read that its unmaintained, unneeded and had some issues with harfbuzz update

Because I'm mentally stable

Ah, I'm a little behind the times then. It's been a while since I installed straight Arch. On Antergos the fonts look great by default but I don't know what the situation is on vanilla Arch.

well, I think my prev installtion with infinality looked tiny bit better
but not enough to face some issues

my melanated fellow